Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

Balancing the Party

Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/10, 02:57 PM
Okay,
So I'm a sorta retired raver from the San Francisco bay area. If you know what a raver is than you know I've done my share of bad things to my body. Now I don't do drugs anymore, but I still love to dance. I try to go dancing at least twice a month. The thing that gets me is I'm working out 5-6 days a week. I even quit drinking 99% of the time to improve the effects of my workout. But I have to wonder, does going out dancing until 4-5 in the morning ruining everything I've been doing? I know that sleep is very important to your workout. And I do drink when I dance. Which totally kills my nutritional intake for that day. Everyone says that some things in moderation are cool, so how often is this okay? Should I limit how many times I go out? I mean I'm only 22, so fitness is not going to make me give up the things I like to do. Just some feedback please.

----------------------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/04/10, 03:18 PM
Well if you have to (well.. you shouldn't NEED to drink) then its best to do so in moderation.. I think the recommended amount was 2 drinks a day for men and 1 for women.. but even then the negative effects are still there and outweight any possible postive effects.. those numbers were supposedly just made to help current alcoholics or binge drinkers cut back... Usually if I drink in a night I try to drink plenty of water.. try to eat plenty of good (ex: not a lot of pizza) before I start..and I usually drink shots or hard liquor instead of beer... really none of that helps because your still drinking alcohol and thats a negative any way you look at it... If you somehow have to drink being around your friends try mixing your own drink and pouring in less than you would normally drink (like maybe one shot of cap'n in coke instead of 3+)..
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/10, 03:31 PM
LOL! No, sorry. That won't work for me. If I'm going to drink I'm going to drink. Two drinks is pointless if your 250lbs plus. There's gotta be other people that are into fitness but still get down. The only advantage to hard stuff vs. beer is the calories. Do you dance?

--------------
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/10, 03:39 PM
I think this topic is going to ask for too many individual opinions. Cain, do what you want to do and don't let others influence your decision. Ultimately, you're the only person paying the price.

Anyway, when I was 22, I loved to party! Working out was the last thing on my mind...

--------------
**_Robert_**
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/10, 03:44 PM
Thanks Robert. I was actually just curious what other people were doing. I love working out as much as I love partying so I'm stuck!!

--------------
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/04/10, 04:28 PM
I think my first hangover, after my 21st birthday, made me not want to drink as much anymore. Also, last year I was really into running and if I drank the night before I ran, I felt like complete crap. So, now I only drink when I go to a club (one or two apple martinis or amaretto sours), which isn't too often anymore, because I'm always thinking about what I have to do the next morning (working out, of course!).
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/10, 04:29 PM
Damn. Seems like most people choose one or the other. That's too bad. Like I said I love to dance so I'll never give up clubs.

--------------
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/04/10, 05:31 PM
I didn't want 2 post it on the board since someone I know sometimes reads it.. Anyway.. not all of choose one or the other.. I workout a lot... mostly in the gym lifting in the morning and cardio at night (well rarely cardio).. I watch what I eat.. etc.. etc.. but if friends want to drink for a day or two out of the weekend.. i'm as good as there.. and usually if i'm drinking its pretty much until I blackout (varies by who i'm around)
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/04/10, 05:32 PM
duh and I post it on the board anyway... pffft.. stupid me... uh.. well that person is lazy anyway.. and they think bench pressing is THE total body workout.. so chances are slim of them ever reading the board...
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/10, 07:26 PM
HAHAHAHA! Well, I was exactly like you described. We would drink until the last man standing. I cut that out when I started working out. I still get $%it-faced, but not like that. Let's put it this way, I could drink 12+ a night of alchohol that was 8% by volume or higher. Now I'm lucky if I can handle 6. Thanks for responding, it's nice to know I'm not in the boat alone. :)

--------------
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/04/11, 06:06 AM
I'm not use to drink any longer so 1 1/2 glass of red wine just make me soooooooo drunk lol oh that's funny for everybody else since I then cannot stop myself from dancing and flirting like a casanova......

Pheew, luckily it never lasts long and after around 30 min I'm all back to normal again.

Now what do you do when you are drunk?!!

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/04/11, 08:02 AM
I usually stay off the 25 and younger posts but I will hone in on this one!! Cainsnads, I LOVE to go out dancing. My husband is in a Rock Band (not his real job!) and I go to all the gigs. We get home very late (or is that early morning?) and it can be exhausting due to the lack of sleep. So week ends its Fri and Sat nite. So I try to take a nap the next day to recover or else my work outs would suffer. The cardio effect of dancing no stop is quite good BUT if you are drinking then you just blew it! At your age I know its tuff but I do not drink when out dancing. Its more fun sober than not anyway. I spend alot of time in bars and clubs and have seen the devestating effects that alcohol has on people's lives. If you sit back and observe( which I do ) you can see this. We have friends who started drinking when young (hey its FUN) and now are regulars at AA. My best friend included in this. They never intended to become dependent but it happens.

We fired the lead guitar player Sat night after the gig because he had one to many one too many times!! Its very sad that he's thrown away what he loves for a few shots of vodka that turned into not beibg able to stop. Now he needs prof help.

I know you are young and fitness isn't as strong a desire at your age but I challenge you too go out Dancing and be the DD one night. You might find you have as much fun!!!
And man you'll feel better the next day. This is my Rant for the day. God Bless.

--------------
What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?.........Leslie
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/11, 12:08 PM
HEhehe, well now I got some cool responses. Okay first, Nina. What do I do when I get drunk and go out dancing? Exactly what you do. :) But it actually depends, some nights it's all about the music and dance til you drop, some nights it's about obtaining the company of a lovely woman. Most nights it's about dancing.

Leslie,
Okay Maybe I shouldn't bring this up, but it's too damn funny not to. You misspelled my name, so you actually typed "Cains nads". Hehehehehe I never knew my name could be twisted into that. Anyway, I tried being sober. The only reason I like to drink honestly? I'm too stiff otherwise. I mean when I dance, I seriously get down. It's not rock I dance to, it's trance which averages about 135-155bpms (beats per minute) so it's really fast. I am a very high energy dancer and I just could not get loose enough without a couple drinks to really go nuts. Sounds lame but it's true. I even asked a few of my friends about it, and they have experienced the same thing. As far as the AA, I'm a raging alchoholic so I'm not worried. I've had my drinking under control for years. I hit my bottom when I was 17 so I rarely drink now.

--------------
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/11, 12:10 PM
Oh, and I only drink when I go out so I do watch my friends get drunk around their houses. It is pretty damn funny. One of my friends gets so drunk anytime you say ANYTHING to him he flips you off and says "F$#^ YOU"! It's absolutely hilarious.

--------------
bibigirl
bibigirl
Belgium
2002/04/19, 07:22 AM
Cainsands,
I am just like you when I go out dancing, it is so hard to not drink. I have it a bit rougher though, I live in belgium and the clubs and bars are open until the last person leaves, which is basically 24/7! Not to mention the terrific trance they have, I never want to leave. Now that I work out I hardly go out. Actually that is how I paid for my gym membership, by saving up the money I would have spent on drinks. It really helps me not to drink when I go out. Now I just put the money aside and spend it on something that will motivate me to work out or something of that sort. It seems as though it is either go out and drink or not go out at all, or that is what I am getting out of it. Since you are worried about the negative affects or at least towards your working out, make a deal with your self. So if you go out and just get drunk then the next day you are at the gym you have to do more cardio than usual to make up for the absurd amount of calories you drank. It may help you, it may not. But hey I am 23 and totally understand your delima! Have fun!
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/04/19, 08:42 AM
============
Quoting from Philia2:
Now what do you do when you are drunk?!!
=============
Stay quiet.. that or laugh.. smile.. and look at the ceiling... kinda stupid really...
bibigirl
bibigirl
Belgium
2002/04/19, 09:40 AM
A whole lot of stupid s*@t! lol ;)
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/19, 11:09 AM
Cains Nads (that's absolutely funny...LMAO)!!! Anyway, I've heard about the "wild" clubs in Belgium, Bibigirl...reminds me of Brazilian parties (start at around midnight and goes on until noon the next day).

--------------
**_Robert_**
jnellie
jnellie
United States
2002/04/21, 12:26 PM
I DO NOT REMEMBER MY 20S OR ESRLY 30S BECAUSE OF BOOZE ALL ICAN SAY IS WATCH OUT BECAUSE IT WILL TAKE EVERYTHING AWAY FROM YOU IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL.......JUST A WORD FROM SOME ONE WHO HAS BEEN THERE AND I DO NOT MISS IT JUST MY 2 CENTS..........
simonhall84
simonhall84
United Kingdom
2002/04/21, 02:04 PM
do what you want to do, its your life

--------------
immortality
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/22, 01:47 PM
Interesting comments everyone. Thanks Bibigirl. I refuse to believe that a happy medium cannot be maintained though. I just won't stop dancing. I think your idead of making a deal with myself is a good one.

--------------
FitLilAlien
FitLilAlien
United States
2002/04/29, 06:09 AM
Cain..why do you feel that you have to drink in order to dance? I am a raver myself (going on 9 years) and I go out dancing all the time...and drink water. I usually eat a couple Hydroxycut for that lil energy burst, but I hardly ever drink. I feel so much better dancing if I'm NOT drunk! Not to say I don't ever drink..I am a tequila or Rumplminz girl...but I don't have to drink when I go out dancing.
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/29, 11:19 AM
Hmm, someone named fitlilalien a raver??? Impossible. Heheh, no I don't HAVE to drink. But as I said earlier I am waay too stiff if I don't have a couple drinks.

--------------
FitLilAlien
FitLilAlien
United States
2002/04/30, 12:12 PM
haha..the lien is actually because I have a tattoo of an alien sitting in a lotus flower holding the Earth on my tummy..but yeah, I guess being a raver had something to do with that..haha

Hmm..I used to be that way, but I love to dance, and when I get out, if I'm feelin the music, it doesn't matter..nothing matters..as long as I'm on the dance floor!
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/30, 03:23 PM
Yeah, An Alien on a lotus flower. Might have just a little todo with being a raver. Well we'll see. I was just curious if anyone else had the experience. I am about two steps from being a sober raver, and that was one of the hurdles.

--------------
BloodRoze
BloodRoze
Canada
2002/08/21, 01:35 PM
Ok get this, Working out, Dancing, Drinking, and using drugs have little effects on each other, but each have a big effect on your body, so if you workout, then go to a club, and drink then smoke, you are still getting more in shape, of course not doing any of those would help you grow faster, but I wouldbt worry about mixing that kinda stuff up, its all normal..except for the drug part which i know little about.

--------------
My only Limitation is your Imagination