Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

As Others See Us

CarbLO
CarbLO
United States
2003/05/13, 06:12 PM

Or: If you're happy and you know it and you really want to show it -- eat a potato chip

People who eat low-fat diets are described as healthy, slim, fit, sporty, intelligent, middle class and female.

Eat a high-fat diet? Then people think of you as unhealthy, overweight, unfit, inactive, unintelligent, working class and male.

And there's more. Followers of a low-fat diet are seen as "serious" and "highly strung," while followers of the high-fat diet are seen as "fun-loving" and "happy."

Does that mean if ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be thin?

--------------
"Whoever loves Instruction loves Knowledge, But he who hates correction is stupid." Proverbs 12:1
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/05/16, 02:17 AM
I know it's strange........ just like the fat make you less "dangerous" to approach and therefore more friendly.

Maybe it's because of some kind of jalousy, I mean if you are with another person who's a little bit heavier than you, you'll feel some sort of superity and therefore appriciate the other's company more......

Now if you are healthy and fit, you'll always look stronger than others.

Know what I mean?

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
gwindalyn
gwindalyn
United States
2003/05/16, 08:12 AM
Some studies have also suggested that those who are fat are paid less than those who are healthy for the exact same job duties, even if the fat person does a better quality job or has more training/experience.

True? Dunno. I would hope not. But it wouldn't surprise me.

--------------
~Jennifer
http://www.gwindalyn.com
If you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything.
I_Am-aZon
I_Am-aZon
Canada
2003/05/16, 10:36 AM
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that people who are physically fit tend to be looked at as determined, disciplined or mentally focused? I believe the assumption is unfair to the overweight because although these qualities can easily be attributed to the larger person also, it is not automatically assumed.
gwindalyn
gwindalyn
United States
2003/05/16, 12:48 PM
Could be azon. I think a portion of it is also that heavy people have a hard time finding clothes that fit properly or look professional...unless they can spend a fortune. I am heavy myself, and I have a very hard time finding business type clothing that is long enough on the arms and legs or cut correctly so it doesn't look sloppy.

I think the majority of society also assumes that every single person that is heavy is that way because they eat like a pig and are lazy. We all know this isn't true as well.

It's a part of life unfortunately. It is no different than women in some areas being paid less, or those of other nationalities. It is wrong. Dead wrong. But it happens.

And it goes both ways. Like Nina said, healthy people aren't approached by others as often or easily as heavy people. Personally, I think it is mostly because people are unsure of themselves and feel inferior(intimidated) toward someone who is healthier.

--------------
~Jennifer
http://www.gwindalyn.com
If you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything.