Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Anyone involved in martial arts?

andyem
andyem
Canada
2005/04/24, 06:51 PM
I was interested in taking martial arts and have no idea which is good and which isnt. I've heard tae-kwan-do is good. I want a martial arts that is good to start out with becuase I evetually want to make this my hobby.

Thx in advance
leslieherr
leslieherr
United States
2005/04/25, 09:36 AM
andyem,

my son is currently taking a break from martial arts, but he really enjoys jujitsu which is a form of grappling.
You will really need to find out the form you are interested in and then go to a school near you to see if it is something you would really want to do.
It is great fun and a wonderful way to stay in shape and get the control of mind and body.

Leslie
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2005/04/25, 09:45 AM
I'm planning to take some classes with my 8 yr old son this summer...still got about 5 more lbs to lose before we get started. Also waiting for him to finish football season.

I always wanted too since I was a kid, but parents never had the money to get me into it...so I would feel extremely proud if I could get me and my oldest kid in it...besides it'll be fun to do some sparing with him...not that I want to beat up my kid...but you know what I mean.
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2005/04/25, 10:52 AM
I am a green belt in Tae Keuk Do...Tae Keuk-Do is a powerful and dynamic, "full body" martial art, derived from Hap Ki Do, that combines traditional Martial Arts with modern kinetics. Tae Keuk-Do is designed for defense against any opponent, regardless of size, strength, or mass (joint locks, pressure points, kicks, strikes, weapons at higher levels). ...but my school moved so that is on hold but my husband and I are looking into taking Aikido...throws and joint locks that are derived from Jujitsu and Kenjutsu. Aikido focuses not on punching or kicking opponents, but rather on using their own energy to gain control of them or to throw them away from you

I miss doing my classes (we were doing up to6 classes a week...but the school moved in Sept)...It is great in conjunction with resistance training
Do some research and check out the various schools out there...some are much more foramal than others...
andyem
andyem
Canada
2005/04/25, 05:24 PM
Perfect, I'm 27 now and feel like sstump1 who never had a chance when I was younger for financial reasons. All of these sound good. I'll have to take a look within the area and see whats available. Thanks a lot everyone.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/05/16, 08:55 PM
no offdense to any of the martial artists in here......but it don't work like you see in movies........it don't matter what belt you have, or monkey flips you do.....real life as in fighting maybe 20% of the stuff is actually useful. Defese wise, alot of it is good.......but roundhouses, jump kicks, swips......that kinda crap won't work in real world.

real world.....boxing would be more appropiat......or wrestling

I took martial arts when I was little...never have used it.....I have used more what I learned in wrestling, than a low block, or hammer fist or some crap. Athough I have never had to fight much. when I did or had to, I was into close combate and grappling........

real world somone gonna mug you.....and hold a gun to your head......no monkey flip, flying crane or anything will dodge that bullet.

good way to stay in shape.......but as for real world practial use....i'm with swarm.......

--------------
" The only true eye, is your minds eye"- plato
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2005/05/17, 06:40 AM
Andrew I would have to say it depends on the styles...There are many styles...I know that the type that I have been learning on of the masters used to train the police with it as it has very practical uses in self defense and attack...I am not taking tae kwon do but tak keuk do (powerful and dynamic, "full body" martial art, derived from Hap Ki Do, that combines traditional Martial Arts with modern kinetics)
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/05/17, 07:43 AM
Movies make out like martal arts is like the best thing in world, and your like "untouchable" and can beat the crap outta 5 guys and come out un scratched. Every watch the UFC? 9 out of ten times if you have a realy good grappler....he's gonna win.......besides that the ones who kick and punch are boring to watch.

Oh an dyea I see police all the time using a round house kick or hammer fist.........hwo do cops get them on ground to hand cuff? wrestling them down, or use their gun......I mean seriously watch cops.......see any martial arts?

--------------
Luvthemtorts
Luvthemtorts
United States
2005/05/20, 10:41 PM
Black sash in Kung fu
Purple sash in Bok Fu
Purple belt in Kempo Karate

Bigandrew, it isn't necessarily about "self defense" but more about discipline, self control AND finally the ability to defend yourself. I guess the biker I once axe kicked in the head and knocked out didn't realize martial arts don't work LOL!!

On a side note I started training when I was a pre teen. I now have serious problems with my hips/back/shoulders because of the intense stretching and impact involved with the forms I took. I would encourage parents to speak to their childs' pediatrician before enrolling your child or possibly wait until they are mature.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/05/22, 10:21 AM
oH i dont' disagree with you there.. i have taken martial arts......very disaplined........however have i ever used any of it? no.......and in real world.......you wouldn't either.

Was this biker not paying attention,drunk, was he walking away getting up? I have NEVER seen anyone kick somone in a fight, both standing up looking at each other in the eye.....putting their "dukes" up.......just don't happen

--------------
Luvthemtorts
Luvthemtorts
United States
2005/05/22, 12:52 PM
He was standing at a convenience store at 2:00 a.m. when I pulled up for some gas. While I was pumping I guess he took offense to my liscence plate which at the time was KIKBOXIN. He asked if I thought I was "the man", I said no, he swung, got off balance when I ducked and I followed up with the kick (I wasn't aware I should have let him get his balance and get back in a staring position LOL!).
Bottom line - there are times when martial arts work in real life applications. You just have to be ready with the proper technique when the opportunity to use them come into play.
The street fights you mention sound like boxing matches (standing up, looking eye to eye). Was Michael Buffer there to announce the decision LOL? Seriously though in a street situation there are PLENTY of times to use your training depending on the arts you have studied. For instance while grappling there are typically ample opportunties to use joint locks which if taken to the extreme can disable you opponent rather quickly.
You also make reference to the idea that perhaps in my situation the opponent was drunk. I would suggest that in the majority of street fights intoxicants are heavily involved so if you are suggesting that this is why it worked for me then it should work in a large percentage of street fights.
I am quite aware that it doesn't work like in a movie but if you can control your emotions, look for the opportunity and be ready to take it when it presents itself you can handily work in what you have learned.
sbroyhill
sbroyhill
United States
2005/05/27, 01:30 PM
Jujitsu was standard in Marine Basic Training. It is very helpful if you want to learn how to defend yourself and attack if needed when the situation arrises. Jujitsu training has helped me in several possible life/death situations in the marines.

--------------
:Hard work equals great results!:
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2005/05/31, 11:27 AM
If you are are looking for a competition martial art, TKD is your art. If you are looking for a street effective marital art, you shouldn't be kicking above the waist, and you should be so close that jujitsu, elbows, and knees are your specialty. Also proceed with caution around martial artists that never reveal their rank.
Sidume
Sidume
United States
2005/09/04, 02:44 AM
It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want something aerobic and flashing, you might try capioera. If you want combat capability, I'd advise Jeet Koon Do and/or Jujitsu.

I've done a litte TKD, but my preference is judo. And it ranks second only to soccer in number of participants in the sports worldwide.

It also depends on what is available in your area. Not every metropolitan area has good instructors in every art. It's best to look at several different places before you decide on which one is for you.

In checking out different schools, make sure that the focus is on teaching the discipline(s). Some schools you visit seem like all they do is glorify Master Hu(-ever). If the focus of the school is the instructor, not the art - go somewhere else! You also want to avoid anywhere that says they can take you from beginner to blackbelt in 2 years or less. You might go through their ranks, but that doesn't mean you'll learn much and you may be joining a belt mill (a school that churns out less than qualified upper belts).

The best advice I can offer would be to visit several different schools and disciplines. Most will let you at least watch an introductory class. They probably won't let you join in (not b/c they're unfriendly, but for liabilty reasons for a beginner).

I've done judo & jujitsu for several years. I can't say that I've ever needed to use it outside of the martial arts class. However, one of the skills that came with it (breakfalling) have saved me from injury SEVERAL times over. One time I breakfalled onto concrete (of course it wasn't planning it - I'm not stupid) and broke one wrist & sprained the other. But the alernative was probabley a nasty concussion, so I wasn't complaining.

--------------
Hey, I never clamed to bee the brightist brick in the boks.
Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe
United Kingdom
2005/09/08, 04:15 AM
karate (doryoku? it's from okinawa) 8 1/2 kyu (white belt). going for yellow belt in october, and competing in november. i intend to train with the goal of getting on the England squad.

--------------
each to their own
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/09/15, 08:01 PM
Mixed martial arts, so I practice submission grappling, brazillian jui jitsu, greco-roman wrestling and grappling. Taking up kick boxing to go along with Muay Thai.
If you need any training advice along the lines of lifting for combat sports, drop me a line.

--------------
Your two most important minerals: Iron and Chalk.

If you smoke or don’t wear your seatbelt, please don’t tell me the deadlift is dangerous.
starbell
starbell
Canada
2005/09/20, 07:07 PM
some of the answers provided above are good. I think it is important for one to go into a martial arts school and have an opportunity to speak with the head instructure. One who will give you the in and outs of of the style you are looking into. If the person appears at all arrogant, or is only trying to get you into there school for financial reasons, then look around some more. A good instructure has no problem sharing what is the up side of the style you are seeking and or referring you to another tpe of style. You see, we martial artists all think the style we are learning is the best. As one person said Mix martial arts has a view of that when combined with other styles, for what ever it is you are trying to achieve, it is there.
Have attended one of the coolest and supper camps, in VA, for the past couple years. It is known as Karate College run by Dr. Beasly, and has some of the worlds renown instructures, Bill Walace, Joe Lewis, Renzo Grazie.....
So investigate the art that will best suit your needs

Dave
oOJackiOo
oOJackiOo
United States
2005/09/23, 08:13 AM
How old was everyone when they started martial arts?
chiasd
chiasd
Canada
2005/09/23, 10:07 AM
TKD when I was 19 ( on and off for 4 yrs),
Judo 21( 6 months)
Switched to Hapkido when I was 26.
I found judo/hapkido more usefull (depends on instructor)
I trained in Toronto under Hwang In shik (head of world hapkido federation) cool guy with no BS, makes a big difference to your training experience...
oOJackiOo
oOJackiOo
United States
2005/09/23, 12:17 PM
The reason I am curious is I have a 5 yr old son who is very eager to start TKD. Martial arts is the new past time in our tiny town, or so it seems, which is great. I thought he was just wanting to follow the fade but its been almost a year and he is still begging to go. He loves watching the UFC and stuff like that. He knows its real and those guys can and do get hurt, but he still loves it. Anyone think he's still to young? Just wondering everyones opinions before I decide. :)
neas1
neas1
United Kingdom
2005/10/29, 02:46 AM

============
hey big andrew
ref your martial arts comments
you dont see a roundhouse kick in a steet fight because the person more than likely perhaps hasnt automated the technique in the correct manner its meant to be applied. All techniques have an application in the right scenario and can be made to work. The problem with martial arts is some people who teach it cant use it them selves and it was watered down. Now people use the exscuse of it is a form of self development.
Take some forms of karate back to there roots ,head butts groin kicks shin kicks thigh kicks groin stikes elbows etc etc.Combine this with weight training/fitness training and automate the techniques by doing hundreds of reps and a person will have a decent self defence method.
neas trainer1@rock.com

=============
neas1
neas1
United Kingdom
2005/10/29, 03:08 AM

ref martial arts again
============
boxing is with gloves meaning a person can strike another person with any part of their fists. If a person does that in a street fight then good chance its bye bye to the outer two knuckles of the hand,,, they some times disappear in to the hand and take months to heal. Trad karate bare knuckle fighters have a differant technique than boxers.
Another thing i find crazy is the constant style said of fighting arts,,,,some techniques were meant to be used in fights some were intended for fitness or discipline training but some unknowing sensei who has never had a real fight(watch some of them in the ufc bad time to find out what you learned doesnt work) says yeh that is how we do it,,,,,so like sheep everyone follows and then they say " we cant apply our method to street fighting"
Answer??? study,,,, watch vidios of street fights,,,plenty availabe,,,,,cage fights,,, ufc,,,study techniques being used by the fighters that work,,,then work out if what you are doing is gonna work.

neas e mail trainer1@rock.com
t-babe
t-babe
United Kingdom
2005/10/29, 03:48 PM
Regards the whole thing about martial arts being useful. As a cop I've thankfully never been really fighting and biting with someone (mostly just wrestling) but I would have no hesitation using some of the moves that I remember. It all depends on your confidence and your ability. So I would disagree, it all depends on the individual and the situation.

oOJackiOo ref your son, don't be too preoccupied with his age. I went to a TKD school nearby. Quite a few of the students and teachers also had their kids go. It's a great way to meet friends, keep fit and gives kids a bit of confidence too. I wouldn't say 5 was too young but speak with the instructor at whatever class you decide. I know my instructor's boy went from when he was quite young and became a black belt before he was in his teens. With martial arts you are taught discipline, self control when fighting so there shouldn't be a problem with older kids.
retrofish
retrofish
United States
2005/11/02, 03:59 AM
Off topic, but bigandrew if you want a good movie with martial arts in it, rent ong bak. It's the only movie I've seen with muay thai, the stunts are all real, and the stuntmen actually get hit.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/11/02, 01:44 PM
If you want good fighting, rent pride. I'd recommend gracies vs. japan. excellent contrast.

--------------
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. ~~~Hunter S. Thompson

If you smoke or don’t wear your seatbelt, please don’t tell me the deadlift is dangerous.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/11/13, 02:52 AM
Exactly, thats why I reoommended pride. Very well said.
There's only been one successful fighter in MMA that wasn't a dominant grappler, and thats mirko crocop, and he only went into a couple pride tournaments, competing mostly in K1.

--------------
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. ~~~Hunter S. Thompson

kelbear
kelbear
United States
2005/11/11, 08:56 PM
The biggest benefit that martial arts can give you is a strong mind and body. The combat aspect will go unused for the most part and if you think you've got a high likelihood for encountering situations where you'd need to engage in combat, you need to stop that. The first step and most important step in self-defense is making sure a conflict never happens. That's a guarenteed victory.

If a fight /has/ to happen. I'd recommend brazilian jujitsu, which was proven to work by Gracie when he won victory after victory against bigger and fitter opponents who were skilled practicioners in multiple combat forms.

Most fights between prepared opponents will go to the ground. /Know/ how to grapple. If you have a mindset of, "I'll just punch and kick him so he'll never grab me." translates into "If he grabs me, I don't know what the hell I'm going to do." Mixed Martial Arts tourneys have proven that it takes a mix of punching/kicking/grappling to defeat other trained combatants. And the majority of the emphasis should go into the grappling since most of the MMA victories are coming from either grapplers, or ground n' pounders.

And if you think grappling doesn't take as much skill as stand up, you should try watching MMA and see. It's far more intricate than most people think.
migo
migo
Canada
2005/12/17, 08:56 AM
Wanderlei Silva's hardly a dominant grappler, he's got as good a defensive guard as anyone, but his grappling offense is limited at best (no, RNCing Bob Schrijber doesn't count). Remigijus Morkevicius doesn't have much grappling worth speaking of (his fight vs Hiroyuki Takaya) shows that and he has had noteworthy success. Duane Ludwig doesn't have much grappling either, yet he KOed UFC LW champ Jens Pulver relatively easily. I'm not disagreeing with you that grappling's very important overall, I'd definitely say it's more important than striking, but Mirko isn't the only guy with a primary striking background who has had success at a high level.

BJJ is good, but it has its limitations, an MMA gym is a much better place to train than a BJJ school if you want to be good at the whole range. You need to get used to being hit, otherwise the first time it happens to you (and most likely a few more times after that), you'll be completely thrown out of your game.

Not sure what contrast you're speaking of with Gracies vs Japan, Pride Bushido 7, 8, and 9 are much better events overall.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2005/12/18, 01:47 PM
Of those, only wanderlei has been successful in pride. And Mirko is a better wrestler than you think, he's been wrestling as long as he was doing K1 kickboxing. He did excellent in the guard against Fedor, arguably the most dominant fighter in MMA.
Wanderlei is tough to take down, and he is good in the guard. No, he isnt a submission artist, but still, I wouldnt shoot on him to try to take him to the mat. It would be worth it. Wanderlie isnt even that great a striker. He has incredibly dangerous knee's though.
The reason I stated gracies vs japan, is because the gracies are predominantly grapplers. I agree that the later prides are much better, better even than pride bushido 7-9. However, gracies vs. japan shows the the gracies grappling with more dominant strikers.
I am running a MMA club at my college at the moment, and I totally agree with you about being hit. The first day, there were kids that have never been hit before, and I just looked around and thought how none of them would be coming back.

--------------
Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:
The squat cage is holy ground.
============
LukasRL
LukasRL
United States
2005/12/21, 06:31 AM
I used to wrestle and Judo