Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16612

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Am I taking too many supplements?

rjh04
rjh04
United Kingdom
2008/01/16, 02:13 PM
I had a look through the forum to see if I could find an answer but I didn't see anything. So apologies if the answer is already there.

Just thought I would list what I am taking first:

BCAA
Creatine EE
Whey Protein
No-xplode
Cellmass
ZMA
Adam vitamins
Tribulus Terrestis

I haven't really thought about it before, but Cellmass has creatine in it and that got me thinking maybe I shouldn't be taking the creatine at the same time.

So I was just wondering if some of these supplements shouldn't be taken along side each other. It doesn't say much on the containers so thought I'd ask.

Cheers for you help
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2008/01/16, 02:47 PM
How old are you? I'm also assuming you're male. What's the point of the supplements (what do you want them to do for you)? What are your own personal goals? What is your diet like?

There's a lot we need to know first. Please fill out your profile; it helps us answer questions like your much more efficiently. Thanks.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
rjh04
rjh04
United Kingdom
2008/01/16, 03:02 PM
Sorry I haven't used the forum in awhile, will sort my profile out.

I'm male, 23, about 90KG, 12% body fat.

I train 5 days a week. My goals are to get a bit bigger and then a bit leaner.

As for diet I eat 3000 cals a day in 5-6 meals (some meal replacement drinks). All heavy meals though. Tuna, chicken, turky, etc... with veg or salad.

As for my question I was just worried about over doing it on some of the supplements,

Cheers
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2008/01/16, 04:29 PM
N0-xplode and cellmass are a waste of money.

These are all good for just about any kind of training.

BCAA
Creatine
Protein
ZMA
Adam vitamins

Triblus - you are young enough that you shouldn't need a test booters.
Perfectzero
Perfectzero
Canada
2008/01/17, 08:51 AM
I agree with Pedmas.

Tribulus is also under a lot of scrutiny right now as lab tests have shown that it doesn't increase testosterone levels as previously thought. Proponents of trib, however, insist that there is active and inactive tribulus. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell whether a trib is active or inactive, or if active trib even exist at all (Bulgarian tribulus is believed to be the one that works, but I have no proof of that).
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2008/01/17, 12:28 PM
And if you're trying to save money, I'd also drop the BCAAs. New research shows that taking them byselves may be not as effective as taking them as part of an EAA supp, or just taking in enough whole proteins.

--------------
Michael

Strength & Conditioning is not everything; it just really sucks to be weak and slow.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/01/17, 11:28 PM
You took the words out of my mouth Michael. BCAA's only really shine when dieting and pretty lean. Even then the jury is out.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/01/18, 11:01 AM
I think at least for me BCAA's do help a bit in recovery if taken in high dose, I take 30g on workout and cardio days.

But as for it helping in gains and strength I don't see anything there.

Here's the deal, I have a bulging disc in lower lumbar and before BCAA's I stayed tighter and I had allot of aggravation no matter how much a stretched.

With BCAA's I stay more flexible and with that I get little to know pressure on my spine but I didn't become superman strong I basically get less sore and remain more flexible.

Now all this may just be in head and it's really only after 3 years I finally gotten much better and it just happens to be at the same time I started on BCAA's and if so I'm just to damn scared to stop BCAA's to find out right now because I feel so damn good after 3 years of serious pain and 1 year of barely walking around.

But if your looking for BCAA's to take you to that next level and get that extra weight up I can testify that will not happen at lest not for me.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2008/01/18, 02:15 PM
I agree. I take them for sole purpose of recovery. For whatever reason, i believe I am able to recover faster when I take them. them = BCAA. Maybe it is in my head, but whatever it still works.
rjh04
rjh04
United Kingdom
2008/01/19, 07:32 AM
Thanks for all your help guys,

I only take the BCAA acids post workout.

Will def stop taking Tribulus then.

What are your thoughts on Peptide? It seems a lot more expensive than Whey protein but is it worth it?
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2008/01/19, 10:07 AM
============
Quoting from rjh04:

What are your thoughts on Peptide? It seems a lot more expensive than Whey protein but is it worth it?
=============

Just use plain ol' whey. The money you save on supplements should go toward decent solid food. It's the calories from food that help you grow anyway, not 5g of this and 2g of that.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/01/19, 11:38 PM
Yeah, a second faster digestion means very little when you look at the big picture...hell, even the small picture. There is absolutely no valid research that it makes one iota of difference. Anyway, the difference in digestion times is pretty small.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer