Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Allow me to introduce myself!

doggiecool
doggiecool
United States
2006/12/14, 02:27 AM
Hi all! I have only posted here and there once in awhile over the past four or five years. In fact I forgot all about this web site and what a good source of information that it is up until this week! That being the case I thought I would introduce myself to you all.

I'm 23 years old and while I was pursuing my bachelors degree I took college courses in sports nutrition and sports physiology. Since I was about eighteen I have gone through bouts of working out extremely hard for several months at a time and then taking just as much time almost off- although I can never get completely away from the gym. I am 5'7" tall and was always extremely skinny but was actually able to get my body weight to 180 lbs at one point- right now my body weight is 163. My max effort bench when I last tried (a little over a month ago) was 300 lb's at my current body weight. My dead lift the same week was 445. Don't ask for squat info because to be honest I have no idea.

My diet is pretty constricted because I have cyliacs so I completely avoid gluten. That means no wheat, barley, or oats. I have thyroid complications so I try to stay away from the majority of the supplements on the market. My supplement list usually consists of glutamine, a BCAA (both at about 1/2 the common dose- basically because I do one shake daily or less and don't feel the need to mix them into yet another drink), a protein powder post workout only, and a multivitamin. I took ZMA but found the only differences were mental, especially after looking at the legitimate research being done on the product that noted it useless when the subject kept a proper diet.

The gym is not my life. (although my girlfriend could certainly argue) Although there have been times when I would feel so guilty about skipping a workout when the gym is closed or only open early morning that I actually bought weights to use at home for those occasions. Right now I'm in that "going to the gym, but not hard core enough to keep a diet or a log for that matter" phase. This usually lasts about 3 months before I get overly hard core and bump up all my numbers by 15 lb's in 2 months or so. Then I usually take about 2 months off followed by another lackadaisical 3 months. And so the cycle goes. It's probably not a good system but it works for me. I hope to help you all with some insightful information and to learn just as much.
doggiecool
doggiecool
United States
2006/12/14, 02:41 AM
By the way I do all of my lifts raw. I have never felt discomfort to the point where I believe a belt has been absolutely necessary and quite frankly I like to get in lower back work. As for a bench shirt or squat suit I wouldn't even know what to do with them.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/12/14, 12:22 PM
welcome to freetrainers - sounds like we have a new resource for info!:)

--------------

Until you value yourself you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.
M. Scott Peck
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2006/12/14, 01:35 PM
Just curious, but how are you extremely skinny hardly ever work out and have a 300 bench/445 DL?

I'm not calling you out on it, just asking for advice because that seems fairly impressive for not working out regularly.
doggiecool
doggiecool
United States
2006/12/14, 03:29 PM
Well I never said that I hardly ever work out, just that I often take time off. The fact is that I work very hard when I'm in the gym, and rest/ eat well. Usually the intensity of my workouts take their toll in injury and if not I just can't keep them up for more than a couple of months. (If it 's not my rotator cuff it's my knee, ankle, elbow, etc.) Hence some time off and often a reintroduction period before getting hard core again. You would be amazed at how quickly you can gain results with the proper diet and routine, even without supplements. (Mine often consists of a lot of super sets and usually 5 days+ per week.) In most exercises I can put on almost 5 lb's per week but that can only last for around 2 months before your body starts to tax. Five years of that and I should probably be lifting a whole lot more. The whole key is to remain consistent every time you go into the gym. Remember consistent work will yield consistent results. I think it also helps that most of the people I have worked out with can bench 400+ so I always felt very small and driven to catch up.