Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

accumulation method

coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2008/12/09, 11:33 PM
I have been thinking about straying away from my modified westside routine I have been doing and thinking of doing something to help me put on some size as i feel I am just not big enough to get stronger and that i need some hypertrophy.

On elite they have mentioned the accumulation method a few times and I was wondering if you all had any reads about it and could direct me there. Every time anyone asks on Elite they are given a response which sounds like they are going to be pushing a new book of theirs soon.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2008/12/12, 02:53 PM
Hopw about you just eat alot, and do more reps? Like around 15+?

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

2008/12/12, 04:10 PM
try smolov or some variation of 5x5 program..

I have made great size gains lifting at 1-3 rm for years...concentrating on just a few lifts at a time. I have never got good hypertrophy gains on high reps...

good luck
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2008/12/13, 12:45 AM
this was more a way for me to venture away from the westside style i have been doing for a good time now.

i was looking to see if anyone knew of any books about the accumulation method.

appreciate the input tho...
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2008/12/13, 05:50 PM
if you want to get away from westside....then why go to elite fts?

there's alot more out there than that site.

Do some of Ed Coan stuff?

Try some HIT training for a while?

Maybe just go to the gym and be a bodybuilder and go for a good "pump"?

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/12/14, 03:34 PM
The accumulation method is just a way to get more volume in with "heavy" weights. It's a general term that just means doing more volume prior to an intensification phase (or other block) where the volume gets cut for the sake of weight on the bar.

A lot of the westside guys do a "repeated effort" as opposed to repetive where they do 8-12 singles or doubles at like 80-90%. In other programs, it could just be working a higher rep range and doing more exercises. General principles are more reps, sometimes more sets, more exercises, and more accessory work. Weight is cut and failure is usually avoided more than otherwise.

As for reps of 15+ and the bodybuilder pump, I'm all for the "in my opinion" or "it works for some people" stuff but that just isn't going to get you stronger on your main lifts.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2008/12/14, 06:24 PM
well doesn't Keven Krocoleski(sp)..ahem..a WSB guy...do reps of 30+?

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/12/14, 08:18 PM
If you mean Matt Kroczaleski, then no. The only time he does high reps on his MAIN movements is once or twice a year to "build mental toughness". And he's not a westside guy, and has never even trained there.

It seems as though you only post one of 3 times...
1. To bash westside and their methods of lifting.
2. To tell us you have a coach and how great he is.
3. To comment on a video to tell someone to use less weight with "better form". I had to block you on my facebook newsfeed so I didn't have to see that crap every day.

I'm pretty sure these posts fall under the first column, so my problem with it is:
1. Nate has made good gains with westside
2. So has the rest of the world for a majority of lifters
3. Doing something for the sake of doing something is stupid, he has seen good gains on ws so he should take that and learn what works for him from that, rather than "well this worked so I'm going to do the opposite". And none of what you posted addresses Nate's question.
4. Even if his name was Kevin and he did train at westside, no one spells Kevin with 2 e's. I understand misspelling Kroczaleski, but Keven?

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/12/14, 11:09 PM
I don't know how long you been at this and most likely longer then me but I'm with menace and wrestler on this.

I didn't start getting the gains I have wanted for years until I went on the 5x5 with modifications and when I got stuck I modified it again with some WSB Idea's to it and I call it a half bread of the 2 that works for me.

My WSB twist to it is a deload week and a speed(WSB) or pause day and I will start mixing ME day with Board Presses and etc also my reps are getting lower the heavier lifts are getting with maxes going from 5 to 3 and 1 now.

All I'm saying is you may just need to refine your routine or possible check your diet 1st if this is about gains because we both know gains starts with diet.

I'm getting bigger and stronger then I ever did on a split type routine and will never turn back to one I think you just need to be directed from those that can direct you and I'm not one but menace and wrestler can.

I mentioned split routine only because that's my example of my experience with trying to get gains and size and couldn't really do it and then finally caved in to 5x5.

I had to make a choice of WSB or 5x5 and chose 5x5 because a 3 day week suites me better but the more and more I go the more WSB I twist into it.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!

My Log http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=15&t_ix=1609

Squat 260x4
Deadlift 340x1
Bench 260x2
Overhead Press 165x3
T & V-Bar Rows 195x3
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/12/16, 09:24 AM
I was starting to think you didn't come around anymore Steve.

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

If you mean Matt Kroczaleski, then no. The only time he does high reps on his MAIN movements is once or twice a year to "build mental toughness". And he's not a westside guy, and has never even trained there.

It seems as though you only post one of 3 times...
1. To bash westside and their methods of lifting.
2. To tell us you have a coach and how great he is.
3. To comment on a video to tell someone to use less weight with "better form". I had to block you on my facebook newsfeed so I didn't have to see that crap every day.

I'm pretty sure these posts fall under the first column, so my problem with it is:
1. Nate has made good gains with westside
2. So has the rest of the world for a majority of lifters
3. Doing something for the sake of doing something is stupid, he has seen good gains on ws so he should take that and learn what works for him from that, rather than "well this worked so I'm going to do the opposite". And none of what you posted addresses Nate's question.
4. Even if his name was Kevin and he did train at westside, no one spells Kevin with 2 e's. I understand misspelling Kroczaleski, but Keven?

=============
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2008/12/17, 05:07 PM
Steve is my hero hahaha...

SFGiantsMVP, i have been doing westside for a while and like wrestler said i have made great gains on it.

my diet is something i have cleaned up a lot and i have seen a decent change in body composition that i am still working on.

the main reason i was looking into trying the accumulation method was because i am takin a break from my gear for a bit (except maybe some 1ply briefs). i really want to put on some solid size and increase my raw strength. it is also helping me find some trouble areas. westside has been great and i am taking all the concepts and applying it to my current cycle.

i am doing a verticle press day and a horizontal press day and then squat and dead dominant day. that is my temporarily plan...

i really wanted some more technical reading tooo...

2008/12/18, 12:26 AM
lmao steve. this type of truth i only see on other forums.

There are so many various programs that all you need to do is google. 5x5 alone has dozens of variations...by every imaginable strength coach.

olympic based programs are worth a try..

tailored programs based on your weakness...

but if something's working, dont change....

Also remember that you can experiment (more frequency, more volume, higher intensity, longer rest periods, more days off in between, longer 'weekly' cycle, experimenting with various lifting methods)...I could never stay motivated on 5x5 programs or recover fast enough...most people do great on them....so your job is to figure out what works for you...