Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

abs

bevman
bevman
United States
2002/07/18, 06:20 PM
Is it alright to train the abs everyday?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/07/18, 06:26 PM
Abs are just like any other muscle group...they can be overtrained!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/07/18, 08:51 PM
You shouldn't train your abs everyday, but maybe 3-4 times a week, would be ok. They need their rest as well.

--------------
Lisa
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/07/19, 12:47 AM
I use the same training as Robert and Lisa, but have read that you can hit the abs hard daily and the muscle doesnt need time to rest becasue of its density. Anyone else ever hear of this? I think I might of heard the same thing about calf muslces

--------------
BQ
AMERICAN MADE
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/07/19, 01:47 AM
Qualters because we don't often work the abs to the limits..... So it's very rare and extremely difficult to over train the abs.

Bevman, I know you dream about the six pack, but you'll actually get better and faster results by working your abs harder but only 3-4 times weekly.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
pooh7652
pooh7652
United States
2002/07/20, 12:10 AM
I try to do it few 3-4 times a week like recommended, cuz I want a six pack to!! DOes this program work, if I stay on shedule?? New to it all

Yella bone
PUREZA
PUREZA
United States
2002/07/20, 01:56 PM
I THINK YOU SHOULDNT WORK UR ABS EVERY DAY. MAYBE 4-5 TIMES A WEEK!
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/07/21, 12:04 AM
The ab program is awesome, but you have to have a great diet and drop bodyfat or you won't see the results you want.

--------------
Lisa
bevman
bevman
United States
2002/07/21, 02:34 PM
Thanks all, for the input!
pooh7652
pooh7652
United States
2002/07/21, 04:39 PM
Must I change my diet to see results or can I do carido workout and I will also burn body fat?
Esha
jnellie
jnellie
United States
2002/07/21, 05:04 PM
change your diet and do cardio.....
Mathiau
Mathiau
Costa Rica
2002/07/21, 07:22 PM
From another site: (hope this helps, and i am allowed to post it)

==========================================================
Work your abs like any other body part. Training them more than once or twice per week is unnecessary. More is not necessarily better. I typically do only two different abdominal exercises. The first is the simple crunch (yes, crunches) and reverse crunches.

That's it.

Contraction is everything when working abs. Remember that your abs work like an accordion, not like a hinge. So when doing crunches, you should concentrate on crunching together rather than moving your body upwards. This will maximize muscle tension.

You must concentrate on contracting your muscles as tight as you can. This will cause them to fatigue faster. It does not matter how many reps you can do; the only thing that matters is how hard you can contract your abdominal muscles.

If it takes you 100 crunches before your abs begin to burn, then you are wasting your time. Your abs should be fatigued at no more than 20-25 reps. If they are aren't, you need to add weights to your exercise and work on contracting the muscles tightly for each rep. Don't concentrate so much on "how many" you can do, but instead focus on "how hard" you can contract the abdominal muscles.

Contrary to popular belief (another myth), doing full sit-ups, lying leg raises or hanging leg raises DOES NOT give your abdominals the best workout. In fact, these exercises work your hip flexor muscles (psoas major) much more than your abs!

Remember, the most effective exercises for working the abs must involve a "scrunching" type contraction, like an accordion.
==========================================================

--------------
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯The trouble with life is there’s no background music¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯Some people are alive only because it’s illegal to kill them¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯God must love stupid people, he made so many of them¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯Life ain't short, your just dead for too frick'n dam long!`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸They know what is what, but they don't know what is what, they just strut,WTF!¸.·´¯)

Mathiau
Mathiau
Costa Rica
2002/07/21, 07:24 PM
more:" Diet wise:

First, go on a fat loss diet.

=========================================================
If you have a high body fat percentage, the abs won't show no matter how much you work. Once your body fat falls below 8% for men, or 14% for women, your abs will begin to show through.

Your diet should consists higher protein intake, moderate fat and moderate complex carbohydrate. You should cut out all excess simple sugars, lower your dairy intake and eliminate excess saturated fats. The majority of your dietary fat should come from essential fatty acids (EFA's -- omega-6 and omega-3).

To lose fat you need to eat fewer calories. You should create a mild caloric deficit when dieting. In other words, you should be using more calories than you are taking in from your diet. This way, your body has to get the extra calories it needs from fat stores (hopefully). I say hopefully because if you drop your calories too drastically, your body may prefer to use muscle tissue for energy instead of fat. This is why many people who go on fad diets look so soft. They lose almost as much muscle mass as fat those drastic diets.

Second, start exercising aerobically.

Perform some form of cardiovascular exercise on a regular basis -- at least 3 times per week. It doesn't matter what you do (walking, running, cycling, aerobics, stairmaster, etc.), as long as it keeps your heart rate elevated for at least 30-45 minutes. This will speed your fat loss by elevating your metabolism, thus burning more calories.

Finally, work your abs just 2-3 times per week.

=========================================================

Also, check your pm.

--------------
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯The trouble with life is there’s no background music¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯Some people are alive only because it’s illegal to kill them¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯God must love stupid people, he made so many of them¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯Life ain't short, your just dead for too frick'n dam long!`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸They know what is what, but they don't know what is what, they just strut,WTF!¸.·´¯)

Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/07/22, 02:23 AM
Great posts Mat!

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
Mathiau
Mathiau
Costa Rica
2002/07/22, 03:14 AM
thnx

i wasn't sure if i should of posted a dir link to the actual site or not, so went the safe route.