Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

ABS!!!

VICTOYA04
VICTOYA04
United States
2008/10/21, 09:57 PM
HI EVERYONE!! I'M NEW HERE LOOKING FOR A LIFESYLE CHANGE I'M LOOKING TO GET HEALTHY,TONED AND LOSE ATLEAST 50LBS!

MY BIGGEST CHALLENGE IS SIT-UPS/CRUNCHES
I NEVER SEEM TO DO THEM RIGHT,MY NECK REALLY HURTS AND I END UP QUITTING

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/10/22, 08:54 AM
LEAVE THEM OUT FOR NOW! THEY DON"T HELP YOU LOSE FAT MUCH ANYHOW.

Focus on compound movements like squats, deadlifts, bench pressing, rowing and cardio.

The biggest factor in weight loss will be your dietary choices.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/10/22, 01:00 PM
Amy is correct. Forget about the TV ads on all these exercises to get that 'sexy six pack'. There is no ab exercise out there that will do this without diet, no matter what they say. Diet is what lifts the fat cover so your abs will show.

Work overall body with resistance. Diet.

When you get leaner, then do some load bearing exercises that target the abs and your abs will show.

Until then, doing countelss situps will do nothing but frustrate you, as you will see no results, and quitting is inevitable due to lack of percieved progress.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/11/02, 08:46 PM

============
Quoting from asimmer:

LEAVE THEM OUT FOR NOW! THEY DON"T HELP YOU LOSE FAT MUCH ANYHOW.

=============

Much? Try none. If you're looking to lose that stomach, she is correct; healthy dieting is your only option. I would also try crunches on a ball though... But the chances are that if they're hurting your neck then you are doing something improper in your form... Refer to a video but a trusted individual on proper form techniques & compare yourself. Hope this helps, Drew.
mike_so
mike_so
United States
2008/11/03, 07:04 AM
If you need a correct way of doing them here you have video demos by trainers:
Crunches:
http://www.physicalfitnet.com/exercise_video_browse_by/base_movement-crunch.aspx
Sit-Ups:
http://www.physicalfitnet.com/exercise_video_browse_by/base_movement-sit_up.aspx