Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Abs

jparr2ss
jparr2ss
United States
2008/09/18, 05:03 PM
Anybody have a great Ab workout? Crunches are okay, but are not effective. I am looking for an intense, hard, fast paced ab workout that will get me results in about 12 weeks. Anybody got anything?
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/09/18, 05:51 PM
how are crunches not effective?
jparr2ss
jparr2ss
United States
2008/09/21, 06:08 PM
Because they don't work, it's the same repetitive motion that is ineffective.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/21, 07:44 PM
What results are you looking for? Size? Endurance? Better balance? A six pack?

Work your abs whenever you do anything by learning to recruit them properly...work them through motions like woodchoppers that use them in active ways that mimic real life movements...see them by combining heavy lifting, cardio and MOST IMPORTANTLY diet to get rid of bodyfat....

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
jparr2ss
jparr2ss
United States
2008/09/27, 07:32 PM
asimmer,

do you have an actual program i can follow on a daily basis? something i can do at the gym or around the house?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/28, 05:49 AM
you don't need to work your abs every day. You do need to recruit tham all the time, one good way to get in touch with your abdominal girdle (transverse abdominus) is to pull in your abs, not too tightly but so you know they are recruited and tie a string around your wiast, not tight! whenever you let your abs relax, the string will remind you that they should be recruited.

As far as working them...2, maybe 3 times a week do a variety of ab exercises. A really god one is the plank, where you are on your toes and forearms. gradually incraese the number of sweconds you hold the pose. Also, ab work on the swiss ball, where you get the extra stretch and recruitment at the extended portion of the movement,woodchoppers, balance moves on the BOSU or balance board, v=ups...so many choices...find a few that you really feel in your abs, both rectus and oblique and be sure to check in with transverse while you do them. I vary the rep range and whether I use weight or not when i work abs...so i don't have a specific program, I just do enough that I feel the muscles have been worked (but some weeks my abs are sore from my other workouts so I let them recover without hitting them seperately).

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield