Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Aaron's Workout Journal

1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/05, 10:15 PM
Just thought I would start up a new one to open up to any advice for my workouts seeing as I started asking questions on Menace's workout journal. I will try to keep posting them throughout the summer.

Today's Workout

Dynamic Box Squat: 6 sets of 2 with 105, 115, 125, 135,
135, 135

Maximum Height Jumps: 4 sets of 5 with 33,33,34 sec TBS

Explosive Step Ups: Same as above.

Single Leg Calf Jumps: Same as above.

Explosive Hip Extension with Cable: Same as above. Since I can't do single leg hyperextensions at my gym, I have to fudge it with this.

Cable Shin Flex: 2 sets of 10

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

2006/06/06, 04:28 AM
Do you mark the max height reached during plyos?

glad to see u got a workout journal going....
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/06, 10:51 AM
You mean on the max height jumps? Yeah the idea with the power output exercises is to only go until your height starts descending-you don't want to keep going after you've reached your potential. My potential for all of those exercises is about the same, that's the reason for the rep scheme. I actually plug that number (my UPN) into a calculator and it tells me my sets,reps, and rest time and changes every two weeks.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/06, 10:53 AM
The perfect ideal situation would probably to have a workout partner and a handy tendo unit, but I can't exactly afford that :surprised:. So, I just mark on the wall after my first jump and go for it every time. Right now, my two footed jumping is not too great (I can't dunk off two anymore) because of so much time off from injuries, and I have trouble jumping straight up in the air consistently (I start to drift), and that's why I use the wall instead of the rim.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/06, 11:05 PM
Tuesday: Max Effort Upper
Warm Up

Weighted Dips
Bodyweight x 5
+15 x 4
+25 x 3
+35 x 2
+45 x 1

Flat DB Bench
3 sets of 8 with 50's, 55's, 55's

DB Rows
3 sets of 10 with 35's

Lateral Raises
2 sets of 12 with 15's

Internal Cable Rotations
12 with 30lbs, 10 with 50lbs

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2006/06/07, 04:23 AM
Aron why are you doing Internal Cable Rotations? All the pressing movements work those muscles anyway...why not work the opposing muscles(with external rotation)?

I would also stick to similar reps...DB Rows of 8 with heavier weight would be better IMO...since you're doing DB presses for reps of 8....I made a mistake a while back of (in my case a big difference in reps of 1-5 vs reps of 8-15....with back vs legs training which resulted in huge disparities...)
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/06/07, 02:20 PM
He he. Didn't I ask you that same question a while ago menace?

If not, I'm going to take this time to agree.
With both points. While I am a big fan of undulating your rep range, if you consistantly train certain muscle groups with certain frames, your setting yourself up for problems in the future.

--------------
Iron and chalk.

Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/07, 05:57 PM
I never really thought that I could be setting myself up for imbalance problems, but I guess it would be better to train the external rotation more. I'm just so used to doing push/pull days, I tend to do the internal on bench day.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2006/06/07, 09:43 PM
Definitely easier to prehab than to rehab....
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/08, 04:27 PM
Thursday Workout: ME Lower Body with Plyos

Squat

45 x 10
95 x 7
135 x 5
205 x 4
225 x 3
255 x 1 (Failed on second attempt, very disappointing)
275 x 0 Went for a PR after 5 minutes of rest, but failed.

Depth Jump Series

Two legged depth jumps x5, one legged (off lower height) x5 each leg. I did two sets of this.

Worked on bball and played some pickup games.

Overall, today left me with some mixed emotions. The ME squat workout was very disappointing considering I got 165 last week and felt like I might coulda gotten higher. Many factors could have played into this: 1. I have been on a reduced calorie diet 2. I had some Hot Rox left from a couple of months ago that I decided to finish and they made me feel a little queezy 3. More than likely a poor warm-up....maybe too many reps with the heavier weights. So far, I haven't had any problems with strength (I've actually had nothing but increase) with my strict diet as I had a PR on ME Upper. I just think my workout was performed poorly.

However, my body fat is reducing and my jumping/quickness is significantly higher. I was throwin it down hard today.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/08, 04:40 PM
I also have a question about my ME Upper Body. My bench press is extremely weak in my opinion (probably about 185 at a weight of 185). When I do dips, I can do them with a plate hangin from me (which means I'm pressing up about 230 when I do that). However, I have not done much significant overhead pressing. When I do military press, it's almost always with dumbbells and I can only use like 40's or 50's for sets. Do you think overhead pressing would target my weakness in bench? I'm thinking about switching my ME exercise to a seated or standing Barbell Military press or something. Tell me what you think.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/06/08, 04:47 PM
Depends when you do bench where do you fail during the lift?

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/08, 04:49 PM
Well, it really depends. For some reason I remember failing mostly at the bottom. It seems that usually my lockout is pretty strong. It's probably rare that I actually get it up to lockout and not complete the rep.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/08, 04:56 PM
And I realize that usually the chest is more involved at the bottom, which is why tomorrow on my REP day, I'll be performing some Wide Grip Bench. I was just curious about the overhead pressing because I remember reading Steve saying that overhead pressing was his weakness, and I haven't done much of that.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2006/06/08, 06:32 PM
not necessarily...even though I started doing militaries more consistantly...the weight I have been using been the same while my bench exploded...

I would try 1 low weight high rep set to warm up say 95-135lb for 10-12....and then do singles the rest of the way....which may allow you to get your body used to heavier weight without fatiguing unnecessarily...
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/09, 10:02 PM
REP DAY

Wide Grip Bench with 115: 16 reps, 11 reps, 5 reps

Cable Rows: 4 sets of 8 with 160, 170, 180, 190

supersetted with

Military Press: 4 sets of 8 with 65

65 lbs seems like an EXTREMELY weak military press. I even only completed 6 reps on the last set.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/09, 10:52 PM
They were actually Bradford Presses by the way, not just regular military...still very weak though

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/09, 11:05 PM
New split beginning next week. The goal is to decrease the volume but increase the quality of the workouts.

MONDAY

Dynamic Box Squat: 6 sets of 2

Power Output: Max Height Jumps, Explosive Step-Ups, Single-leg Calf Jumps, Cable Hip Extension

TUESDAY

ME Bench superset with Weighted Pull Ups

Tricep Rope Pushdowns: 3 sets of 8

Kneeling Cable Scarecrows: 2 sets of 10

Timed Thick Bar Holds: 3 max sets

THURSDAY
ME Squat

Power Output: Max Height Jumps, Explosive Step-Ups, Single-leg Calf Jumps, Cable Hip Extension

FRIDAY

Wide Grip Bench: 3 Max Sets with 115

Cable Rows: 4 sets of 8

superset with

Bradford Press: 4 sets of 8

Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 8

Gripper, Wrist Roller

SATURDAY

Energy System Training mix of linear speed and change of direction... I'm still workin on this

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/09, 11:06 PM
I will change my exercises every few weeks, so don't worry I haven't forgotten about power cleans, deadlifts, etc.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/10, 12:40 AM
Any criticism or suggestions about this new split are more than welcome, but I am probably only going to post my workouts if I reach a PR during the workout to let you know of progress, for I feel like I have been rambling.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/06/10, 01:11 AM
So you've added speed and DE work to your lower body, but no conjugating your upper body training???

--------------
Iron and chalk.

Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/10, 10:51 AM
I went from having 2 dynamic days with power output and a ME day with squat and dl in the same week, to having just one dynamic day and one ME day. So really, all I did was replace a dynamic day and plyometrics with the speed day to give the weights a rest. My upper body still has the ME/Repetition split, but much fewer and better chosen exercises.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/10, 11:05 AM
The thing is, I feel like my upper body training is not nearly as important for basketball, so I stay light on the upper body to give my higher-volume lower body week more recovery. I'm still making gains, just not my number 1 priority.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2006/06/10, 07:58 PM
also since you're making your workouts more compact I would go for the bigger exercises.....BOR over cable rows...t-rows, etc..
2006/06/10, 08:23 PM
Also on days going for 1RM...try 4-5mg of caffeine per Kg...it's in part been responsible for big explosion in some of my lifts....though I must admit that after its effects wear off at first it's like someone took a sledgehammer to your CNS....lethargy is nasty.....I usually take a B-Complex, fish oil, and get a good nights sleep....I would limit this to 1-2 days a week max though.....
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/10, 09:23 PM
Whoever was null, I don't understand your post. You think I should do military instead of bench? I don't know what you're talking about at all really right there- it's hard to read. Menace, I think you're right and I'm going to switch out the rows. I'm going to order a caffein supplement and start stacking it with L-Tyrosine.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2006/06/11, 12:04 AM
Aron Null was me....let me rephrase....

You said bench is not your primary concern as well as getting most for sport performance.......

My point is this....Do exercises that challenge you the most first.....that means doing exercises that tax you the most in any specific movement pattern or overall ...

the way I approach it is this....say you got a list of exercises you're doing....rank them in terms of overall difficulty...say deadlifts...then if you're doing a specific movement pattern(pressing for example)...pick the exercise which challenges you the most and which is probably more applicable to things outside the gym....i.e. military presses.....over bench....bench as macho as it is....is not a great exercise for training Upper Body strength for sport performance....

you also say that vertical pressing is a big weakness for you...then that is more of a reason to train it first when doing any type of pressing movement....

Aron got with generic with caffeine....most drugstores carry them......go with the cheapest ones....same stuff...
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/11, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the input, man.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/11, 08:44 PM
MONDAY

Dynamic Box Squat: 6 sets of 2

TUESDAY

ME Military Press superset with Weighted Pull Ups

Close Grip Bench Press: 3 sets of 8

Kneeling Cable Scarecrows: 2 sets of 10

Timed Thick Bar Holds: 3 max sets

THURSDAY
ME Squat

FRIDAY

Wide Grip Bench: 3 Max Sets with 115

Bent Over Rows: 4 sets of 8

superset with

Bradford Press: 4 sets of 8

Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 8

Gripper, Wrist Roller

SATURDAY

Energy System Training mix of linear speed and change of direction- I finished writing it, but it is much too long to post.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/06/11, 08:46 PM
Just replaced a few exercises /\

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2006/06/12, 04:45 AM
yea looks better this way imo
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/07/15, 02:51 PM
My first workout in a loooonngg time. The break did me some good. My strength, however, is nothing to write home about. Not that it ever was. Anyways,

Upper Body ME/REP mix

ME Standing Military Press
45 x 7
65 x 3
75 x 3
95 x 3
115x 1
65 x 10
Supersetted with
ME Chin Ups
Body x 3
Body x 3
+ 8 x 3
+ 15 x 3
+ 25 x 3 (barely got third)
+ 35 x 1
body x 7

Swiss Ball DB Bench
35's 3 max sets (stopped after I started to slow down)
15, 10, 7

Cable Scarecrows
10lbs x 10
20lbs x 7

COC Trainer Gripper 3 sets of 8

Hammer Curls 2 sets of 5 with 35's

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2006/07/15, 07:31 PM
Looks good Aron....perhaps the break will help you focus better....the strength will come back in time...

I would get a stronger gripper than a Trainer.... #1? maybe #2? or a #1 and SA?....and work with lower reps 1-3? the 8 rep sets are waste of time imo...unless u plan to increase the volume by a lot....
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/07/15, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I'm lookin to buy probably two of the cheaper grippers (not COC) and work with them. Also, I need a belt that I can use to hang the extra weight off me. The 35lb dumbbell got sorta hard to tuck between my knees. I definitely will be gettin those soon- I'm just such a cheapo with my money lol. I pretty much try to make everything I don't have. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2006/07/15, 11:50 PM
Well u can definitely make a lot of equipment if u know how at reduced price....climber511 of gripboard.com made his whole gym himself....with exception of rack and barbells....pretty cool...

Heavy Grips are definitely the cheapest but they are also the crappiest...they season down a lot ..if i was to invest in this long term i'd go for better quality gripper.... i like beef builders and Ironmind....I also know RBs are very good.....difference of about 8-10$......between HG and other more quality grippers....

as far as I know u can get pack of 5 HGs 100-300 in 50 increments for 60$....cheapest i seen at least... so 12$ per

BB are 24.99
Ironmind are 19.99
RB are 19.99 from guy on gripboard who makes cheaper versions of the really nice ones that sell for 39.99

You can still use guide...but u'll have to do crazy volume....hundrends of reps in a day.....KTA volume style....u can also do strap holds....and overcrushes with the T for time being....

Chain belts are a definitely a necessity...but you can make one yourself.....
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/07/25, 06:35 PM
Max Effort Upper Body-- July 25

Standing Military
45 x 7
65 x 3
85 x 3
105x 2
125---Missed

Superset with

Weighted Chins
Body x 3
+10 x 3
+25 x 3
+35 x 2
+40 x 1
+45---Missed

** Carried full 5 gallon buckets of water all day at work...shoulders were burning from the start with the military press.

Close Grip Bench- 3 sets of 8 with 115

Cable Scarecrows- 10 lbs x 10
20 lbs x 7
(Once again, fatigued shoulders)

Swiss Ball Crunches- Body x 10
+ 35 x 7
+ 20 x 10

Timed Dumbell Holds (held the head of the hex dumbbell)

3 max sets with the 25's- 30 sec, 25 sec, 15 sec

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/08/01, 07:45 PM
Max Effort Upper Body - August 1st (did a rep day last friday, but forgot to post)

Standing Military
45 x 7
65 x 3
75 x 3
90 x 3 (kinda tough third)
105 x 1 (kinda tough)
120 x 1 **PR from 115...barely got it

Supersetted with

Weighted Chins
Body x 3
+ 15 x 3
+ 25 x 3
+ 35 x 3 (kinda tough third)
+ 50 x 1 **PR from +40

Close Grip Bench- 3 sets of 8 with 115

Cable Scarecrows
10 lbs x 10
20 lbs x 9

Swiss Ball Crunches
Body x 15
+ 10 x 12
+ 15 x 10
+ 20 x 5

Timed Dumbbell Holds w/25's
35 sec
25 sec
18 sec

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/08/01, 07:50 PM
Overall, I was pretty satisfied with the workout. The two PR's were nice, but I still feel fatigue from my job. Anyways, I got to thinkin...I've always felt that my military press was so weak, but truly, a 120 or so max in comparison to a 180 or so bench max is not that bad...maybe even high on the military side?? I dunno, but all of my lifts are generally weak. What do yall think? Should I stop worryin about military so much?

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/08/02, 10:07 PM
bump

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/08/02, 10:12 PM
Well its not a weakness. At least not comparatively in my opinion.

But then again, are you trying to bring up your military press to bring up your bench press? If so, why?

--------------
Iron and chalk.
2006/08/03, 07:21 AM
You military is actually pretty strong relative to your bench. So no worries. If you are out for athletic performance why not spend more time worrying about deadlift or squat?
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/08/03, 05:54 PM
Steve, no I wasn't doing it to improve my bench. I had just thought it might be a weakness for some reason. Leo, I have changed my mind and decided not to play college basketball for a few reasons, so I'm looking to get more into the sport of lifting period instead of just for basketball. I am starting an undulating program pretty soon as I would like to add some good mass to my frame. I expect some pretty big gains out of it, as it sounds like something I would respond well to.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/08/04, 09:50 PM
Repetition Upper Body - 8-4-06

Wide Grip Bench- 3 Max Sets
115 x 15
115 x 8
115 x 4
(got burned out suprisingly quick)

Bent Over Rows
65 x 8
85 x 8
95 x 8 (barely)
85 x 8

Superset

Bradford Press
65 x 8
65 x 8
75 x 8 (barely)
65 x 8 (barely)

Hammer Curls
3 sets of 8 with 30's

Gripper
3 sets of 8 continuous

Bruce Lee Leg Raises
3 sets of 12

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/08/04, 09:53 PM
By the way, for those who think cutting fat and getting strong is difficult, IT IS. However, I have been doing Berardi's get shredded diet the past two weeks just to quickly drop some fat (started to get chubby), and it's as low as ever, and my strength has also increased, and I lost no lean mass. I realize my strength and mass were far from impressive prior to this, but it has worked nonetheless.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/02/17, 04:21 PM
THANK GOD IT IS TIME!

After 6 months of workin at UPS, it is finally over, and I can focus on school more...another huge plus is...

WORKOUTS START BACK!

So I'll be keeping my log again, and maybe this board can liven up just a bit...I am training for total athletic power, and I will keep everyone posted on progress. It's good to be back!

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2007/02/18, 07:29 AM
good luck man! glad you've got more time to lift
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/03/27, 01:33 PM
Upper Body Push

Cable Internal Rotations

20lbs x 12
30lbs x 10
40lbs x 8
50lbs x 6
20lbs x 12

Explosive Bench

80lbs, 6x2. 1 minute TBS

Explosive Military

60lbs, same as above

Partial Bench Press

165 lbs, 4x2. 2 minutes TBS

Partial Military Press

115lbs, same as above

Flat DB Bench
50's x 5
50's x 5
55's x 5...pretty easy

DB Seated Shoulder Press

40's x 5
45's x 5
45's x 3...got hard

High Pulley Physioball Cable Crunch

30lbs x 12
30lbs x 10

Just gettin back into the swing of things. Any suggestions are very welcomed.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/03/30, 12:06 AM
Upper Body Pull

Cable External Rotations

10lbs x 12
10lbs x 10
10lbs x 8
10lbs x 6
10lbs x 4...was supposed to shoot for 12...wow

Explosive BOR

65lbs, 6 x 2. 60 seconds TBS

Flying Wide-Grip Pull-Ups

Assisted with 70- 3 x 5, 30 seconds TBS

Pull-Ups

Body x 5
Body x 3 + 2 Negatives
Body x 5 Negatives

Cable Rows

100lbs, 3 x 5

60-Degree Lying Trap Rows

35's, 3 x 5

Swiss Ball Crunches

+10 lb DB 2 x 10

followed by 2 max rep sets

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2007/03/30, 02:24 AM
nice to see you lifting again Aaron. keep it up.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/04/03, 12:45 PM
Thanks, Leo.

Upper Body Push

Cable Internal Rotations

30lbs x 12
40lbs x 10
50lbs x 6...very tough
20lbs x 12...ahh the burn

Accidentally started too heavy...I was stupid today

Explosive Bench

80lbs, 6x2. 1 minute TBS

Explosive Military

55lbs, same as above

Partial Bench Press

165 lbs, 4x2. 2 minutes TBS

Partial Military Press

115lbs, same as above

Flat DB Bench
55's x 5
55's x 5
55's x 5...good weight

DB Seated Shoulder Press

45's x 5
45's x 4
45's x 4...dang hard

Did some crunches/oblique crunches on physioball as well as isometric bridges held for 30 seconds

Was happy with today's workout...went up in some lifts, and the strong range partials didn't feel as heavy today.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last