Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

50+

holensum
holensum
United States
2009/03/15, 09:22 PM
Ok, I am 55 and just starting this for weight loss and toning. Looking for others in this age group for advice and support.
My activity level is less than moderate, but higher than sedentary, I do walk the golf course on the weekends, 18 holes, and take the stairs at work. I am looking to lose 30 - 35 pounds in the next 5 months and to be able to walk up the last hill on a nearby course without stopping and not completely out of breath.

--------------
Gordon,
Golf is mans greatest invention.
drnelson
drnelson
United States
2009/06/29, 10:34 PM
:)I'm 60 yrs old and began two months ago. There has been a change in weight and body mass. Stay with it. You will get there. Basic exercise, cardio and weight training, with good nutrition will help you get there. I'm still moving it the direction of losing wt and toning the body.Good luck.
2009/06/29, 11:49 PM
Welcome here to both of you. Gordon, at our age it's not a bad idea to check with a doctor about your exercise prospects. Assuming you've been there done that, weight training and some cardio type exercise is what you want. I use the lifting programs from this sight. There is a weight loss and definition program. I also walk about 80 miles a month.

With walking you can set your own pace. Alternate long and short with fast and slow to keep your body guessing. I'd suggest stsrting out lifting on a twice weekly schedule to get accustomed to it. Your body builds muscle at rest not while working contrary to popular belief. You can move up to 3 or 4 days a week later if you feel like it. I walk nearly every day and lift 3 days a week. I walk shorter distances on lifting days.

Your diet is the most important aspect of weight control. You need to do some homework on eating. Start by taking a look at "grocery list for healthy living" in the nutrition board here. That's agood place to start.

The most important thing you can do over all is not quit.
Good luck.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2009/11/14, 05:23 PM
50? this is only the new 40. Make today your 1st workout if you havent started already. :dumbbell:

--------------
"Get everthing you want--just make a little change now"
"The thing you have to realize is that you have to work for it,"
healthygrammy
healthygrammy
United States
2010/02/14, 03:19 PM
I'm new on this site AND I'm 69.5,just retired in Nov. '09. I've gotten sosoft and laszy I don't seem to have the self motivation to get started! I'm healthy enough for my age. Help me get some motivation PLEASE!!!

--------------
Grammy
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2010/02/14, 08:52 PM
Motivation starts and ends from within. I know this may not be the answer you are looking for, but it is the 'real' answer. I am 58, and though long since stopped competing, I look at exercise as a cheap insurance policy. In retirement, I want to be able to enjoy anything I could when I was 20. To come close to achieving this, I exercise. There you go, motivation.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

michael7pointer
michael7pointer
United States
2010/04/23, 05:20 PM
I'm glad to know there are a few old folks out there. I live and work in Afghanistan, no exercise equipment and long walks may or may not include hand to hand fighting. Any ideas?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/04/23, 11:41 PM
Body weight exercises? Thanks for doing what you are doing! Stay safe!

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
michael7pointer
michael7pointer
United States
2010/04/24, 05:19 PM
Thanks Carivan, but which ones are best for legs and cardio?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/04/24, 10:53 PM
Try doing some squats, leg raises, Cardio- running on the spot, jumping jacks skip rope

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
SusanBrown
SusanBrown
United States
2010/08/14, 10:13 AM
51 yr old mom here with stenosis of the lumbar caused by arthritis. Oh what we do to our bodies huh.I have been taking care of my body since I was in my early 20's. Unfortunately working manual labor jobs have really done a job on my back. They tell me I have the arthritis of a 70 yr old and decimated disc. Sounds aweful but.... they also tell me if I had not worked out all my adult life I would not be able to move now.

My execise of choice has always been body weight because of being a working mom on limited income. I walk every day that my back allows. A family friend gave me a dog so now I walk even when I am hurting, just not as far.. because the dog needs her walk. Sometimes, following rigid plans you will get very bored but there is no reason you can not mix it up a bit. Do a search on the net, find new exercises to try out. You will always be challanging yourself, just remember to listen to your body. I have to modify pushups now, something I did not have to do 2 years ago, but that is not the point. The point is, I am still moving, and I can!

I love Freetrainers.com, the nutritional analyzer has became my new buddy lately. I top off the fat way too fast, its a challange to get all those calories in with only 22g of fat...lol

Good luck and heres to getting stronger everyday!!

Susan
rsquade
rsquade
United States
2016/08/01, 03:56 PM
Just turned 60. Work out 5 days a week for past 13 years. Do yoga, too. I think I'm as strong as ever, but it does take longer to recover when I push hard.
Wayfairers
Wayfairers
United States
2017/07/14, 04:35 PM
I'm 51 and have gained more weight than I want over the years. I have been working out and eating right to lose about 2 pounds a month since March. I plan to continue at about that pace until I reach a weight where I am happy with my body - probably a total of 20 pounds - but who knows. I am going slowly on the weight loss this time because last time I used Atkins and dropped weight quickly but struggled to maintain when I started eating carbs again. The goal is to be able to maintain my new weight once I get there. I have found that weighing every day and putting it into my Fitbit app, then monitoring the weekly average rather than paying attention to the daily weight works for me. I joined Freetrainers to get workout accountability by using the log and to read what others are doing to lose/maintain weight.