Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

3 Months

HeyMrsMartin
HeyMrsMartin
United States
2007/10/26, 11:45 PM
So I know its kinda a short time, and I'm not expecting anything too extreme... But anyone know any good tips to get a better body in that short of time???
The hubby is deployed right now and we are at the half way point. I have been going to the gym on base. I'm definitely stronger than I used to be. Any good advice??

Not sure if you guys find this too short of a period or what......

Dani
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/27, 11:27 AM
You would do the same thing to get in shape in a short time as you would to get in shape in a long time (ie for the rest of your life). It all comes back to the basics.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
2007/10/27, 12:25 PM
Actually, 12 weeks isn't an unreasonably short amount of time to want to see some results. If you work hard and eat right, most people can see a marked physical difference in three months. What are you trying to accomplish?

--------------
\"We must be the change we wish to see in the world\" - Ghandi
HeyMrsMartin
HeyMrsMartin
United States
2007/10/30, 08:57 PM
All I'm trying to accomplish is toning up.... And I know I won't be able to "keep up" with him, but I don't want to sit there worn out after 15 minutes either. I've been going to the gym.... And I'm not too bad if I could manage to fit some sleep in. But as you can observe by my picture, I'm not the tiniest thing in the world. Also we plan on having a baby when he gets home, and I was under the impression that if you are active before getting pregnant, you can be during too, just not a hard.

So I'm not looking to become the incredible hulk or anything :)

Just to be in better shape then I am now. I want to see atleast a little results
2007/10/31, 08:05 PM
Looking at your pic, I'd say you're in a great position to get some really good results in three months. You said you don't want to get worn out after 15 minutes working out with your hubby. That suggests to me that you want to gain strength. "Toning" is usually doublespeak for "lose fat/lose weight." Getting stronger and losing weight tend to contradict each other, b/c to get stronger you have to exercise hard and eat MORE to build muscle. That means not losing any of the fat you have. If you want to lose fat, you need to exercise hard enough to maintain the muscle you currently have, but EAT less to lose the fat. You'll have to decide what your goal is.

About exercising during pregnancy: provided that you don't experience any other health complications during pregnancy, a pregnant woman can work out a LOT harder than most people think. They can still bike, use the elliptical, swim, or walk the treadmill. They can still lift some pretty heavy weights (though elivated BP does become an issue in the final trimester.) When you do get pregnant, talk at length about exercising with both your OB/GYN and your GP. The only thing that I will say to you about pre-pregnancy fitness is this: the stronger your abdominals are beforehand, the faster they'll recover and snap back afterwards. They're not involved in the delivery process, so it won't make that any easier :( Also, and I know it sounds dumb, but start doing kegals NOW and don't slack off on doing them. That will help you during delivery and you might avoid post delivery incontinence that usually pesters new moms for a couple of months afterwards. Good luck :big_smile:

--------------
HeyMrsMartin
HeyMrsMartin
United States
2007/11/01, 11:09 AM
Well I don't feel like I need to "lose weight".... I weigh like 120. Which is supposably low for me at 5'8. I have problems being able to eat often because I work 10 hour days, every time I get a spare minute something is happening whether it be 1 of the 103945349 million babies is being born from the squadron or my husband is calling me waking me up. I want more muscles but I was under the impression that the more muscle you gain, the more weight you gain. So weights just a number to me :). I do want the fat gone, but I want it replaced with muscles

Hmm.... I'm not sure I know what kegal exercises involve.

But I have to go now.... and get back to the hospital. Baby number 5 is going to be born.....
2007/11/01, 01:29 PM
Google "kegal exercises." It's a little too graphic to explain here. If your current weight is on the low side already, I'd say focus on building muscle. You may look "flabby" less due to excess fat and more due to underdeveloped muscles. Plus, adding lean muscle will up your metabolism which will inherently make it easier for your body to cut down on excess fat.

--------------
HeyMrsMartin
HeyMrsMartin
United States
2007/11/02, 07:30 AM
Oh thats what that is :)
Olibobwa
Olibobwa
United States
2007/11/02, 02:23 PM
I wonder if Deadlifts work those:surprised::laugh::big_smile:
swifer2841
swifer2841
Canada
2008/07/24, 02:56 AM
hi,
im 5,6 and i weigh always between 135 to 140...the problem is that the fat is all in my ass and tighs... how can i tone it down??? i want to lose at least 10 pounds but i work and go to school... i would have time to go to the gym once or twice a week between classes but id like to know if there is something i can do at home???

thank you
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/07/24, 07:12 AM
do jump squats and lunges and eat cleaner.

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach