Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

2 Recipes That Boost Your Metabolism!

Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/01/07, 11:32 PM
ROASTED FISH WITH THAI DIPPING SAUCE:
serves 4
1 lb mild white fish fillets, such as halibut, cod or tilapia (my favorite) 4 oz each
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Dipping sauce:
2 Tbsp. lime juice
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar (or sugar substitute)
1 tsp. garlic sauce

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place fish on foil, skin side down. Sprinkle with pepper and gently pat into flesh.
2. Roast fish for 10-15 minutes or until it's opaque in the center and flakes easily.
3. Meanwhile, whisk dipping sauce ingredients together in a small bowl,. Serve in individual bowls for dipping, or drizzle over fish on a platter.

Nutrition Facts (per serving):
127 calories
25g protein
5g carbs
0g fat
0g fiber
4g sugar (if brown sugar used)
782 mg sodium

-----------------------------------------------------
TOMATO BASIL PASTA:
serves 4

8oz. whole-wheat fettuccine
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 small onlion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp oregano
3 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

1. Cook whole-wheat fettuccine according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until tender (about 5 mins). Add garlic, pepper flakes and oregano, cook one minute.
3. Add tomatoes and salt to skillet and cook until tomatoes are soft and hot, about 5 mins more.
4. Place fettucine in a large serving bowl and top with sauce. Sprinkle with basil and parmesan cheese. Dish should be served immediately.

Nutrition facts (per serving):
291 calories
12g protein
49g carbs
10g fat
13g fiber
1g sugar
712 mg sodium

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/01/08, 09:18 AM
how do they boost your metabolism?
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/01/09, 11:12 PM
I am such a dumba$$! LOL! I forgot to ask my initial question. I read about this in an article in Muscle & Fitness HERS and was wondering how these two recipes could boost your metabolism. I am aware of what they stated in regards to the chile in each recipes, but how does all of this other stuff work. I am confused....

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/01/10, 08:28 AM
lol.

I think they are angling for the metabolism boosting effect of hot peppers - though neither recipe seems to have that much in it.

I was really just playing devil's advocate, rb :angry:

As far as food boosting your metabolism - here are some things I know:

All food has a thermic effect - meaning you have to burn calories to digest it. Protein has the highest thermic effect - so it is 'metabolism boosting'. Protein also helps build muscle - which will increase your metabolic rate.
Carbs are fuel - which give you energy, which lets you work outhard, which boosts your metabolism. So, they are also 'metabolic boosting' in their own way.

Food eaten at regular intervals (every 3 hours or so) helps rev your metabolism by keeping your blood sugar levels stable and energy levels strong. Along with sufficient caloric intake, frequent meals also keep your body from slowing your metabolism down to conserve energy. So - small frequent meals are 'metabolic boosters'.

Weight training creates the best and longest 'afterburn' effect , which menas you burn more calories the rest of the day. So - weight training is a 'metabolic booster'.

HIIT cardio also creates a good afterburn - so it is a metabolic booster.

Good fats aide in many different processes that contribute to a finely tuned machine (your body), so they are a 'metabolic booster'.

Water - hydration improves the amount of strength and endurance you have, improves cellular function, does so many important things that contribute to a optimally functioning body - water is ahuge 'metabolic booster.

I know I have simplified all of the above, but my point is that most things will boost your metabolism when eaten at the right times, or in the right quantities...:)

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/01/10, 10:49 AM
I know they were aiming at the peppers too...but seriously? I know of the HIITs, water and weight training, this was just on food in general, which I thought was interesting. If I have more time later, I will post the article for discussion...

--------------
Bettia

-Stacey Chapman
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/01/10, 09:10 PM
Usually those mags will give some sort of 'generic explanation' as to the why.

Before I read any of the other posts in this thread, my mind immediately went, hhhmmmm....wonder why? The peppers, the garlic? Not really much there to me. Good healthy dishes though.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer