Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

10 Tips For A Safe Workout

Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2006/12/05, 10:04 PM
On a roll again people!!!
---------------------------------
10 Tips for Safe Workouts
From Elizabeth Quinn,

1. HAVE A ROUTINE PHYSICAL
Visit you doctor before beginning a new exercise program. Any new activity can stress your body. If you have undiagnosed heart disease or other conditions, you should modify your exercise accordingly. Your doctor can let you know what your limits might be and suggest an appropriate amount of exercise for you.

2. GRADUALLY INCREASE TIME AND INTENSITY.
When starting an exercise program, many people have lots of enthusiasm initially, and go too hard, too soon. Begin with moderate exercise of about 20 minutes, 3 times a week and gradually build upon this.

3. VISIT A PERSONAL TRAINER.
If you just don’t know what to do or where to begin, a good trainer will get you started safely and help you learn enough to work out on your own if you choose.
A few initial sessions may be all you need.

4. WARM UP SLOWLY.
A proper, gradual warm up goes a long way to prevent injuries. The warm up can consist of walking, jogging or simply doing your regular activity at a snail’s pace.

5. DON'T WORKOUT ON EMPTY.
While you don’t want to exercise immediately after eating a large meal, eating about 2 hours before exercise can help fuel your exercise and help you avoid bonking during your workout.

6. DRINK BEFORE YOU EXERCISE.
Dehydration can kill your performance, so stay well hydrated. Try to drink 16 oz. of water in the two hours before your workout and then take in water during your workout to replace any lost fluids.

7. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.
If you experience any sharp pain, weakness or light-headedness during exercise, pay attention. This is your body’s signal that something is wrong and you should stop exercise. Pushing through acute pain is the fastest way to develop a severe or chronic injury. If you don’t feel well, you should take some time off until your body heals.

8. REST.
In addition to getting enough sleep, it is important to take some rest days. Working out too much for too long can lead to overtraining syndrome.

9. CROSS TRAIN.
In addition to helping reduce workout boredom, cross-training allows you to get a full body workout without overstressing certain muscle groups.

10. DRESS PROPERLY.
This includes using appropriate safety equipment for your sports, choosing proper footwear, and clothing that wicks sweat and helps keep you cool and dry. Read more about how to layer clothing for cold weather exercise.

--------------
Bettia

To be motivated, motivate others!
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/12/06, 09:19 AM
And don't place a mirror behind the treadmill (advice from KC:big_smile:)
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/01/30, 08:58 PM
A little more to add to this for beginners...enjoy the read and please apply.

Are you a "weekend athlete?" Do you over-exercise when you work out or play recreational games? Do you want to get rid of a few extra pounds? If your answers are yes, then you are a prime candidate for a sports injury. Follow these tips to exercise safely and avoid injury.
* Get a medical checkup before you start any exercise program. Find out if there are activities you should avoid because of your health condition. For example, swimming would be a better choice than jogging if you have knee problems.
* Get coaching on how to improve your skill and exercise safely. Seek advice from experts. Learn how to use exercise and sports equipment properly. If you're a beginner, train with a certified exercise advisor.
* Be properly conditioned before you start any recreational sports program. Let improvements in your performance occur over time, not in a day.
* Warm up for 5 to 10 minutes before you start any sport or workout. Cool down afterward for 10 to 15 minutes by slowing down and stretching.
* Wear clothing appropriate for the activity. Wear lightweight, breathable clothes in hot weather. Wear warm, protective clothing in cold weather. Clothing that is too tight will restrict your movement and circulation.
* Wear safety equipment geared to your activity. For example, wear a bicycle helmet when bicycling. Roller-bladers should wear a safety helmet and guards for the wrists, elbows, and knees.
* Remember that overuse injuries are caused by training errors. Some examples: running too far, hitting backhands improperly while playing tennis, wearing the wrong shoes for an activity.
* Working out before an old injury fully heals can lead to re-injury. To test a sprained ankle, stand on the injured leg. Raise the heel five times. Resume exercise if there is no pain.
* Drink plenty of water before, during, and after exercising.

Following these guidelines will help you enjoy your sport with minimal risk of injury. Choose physical and exercise activities that you enjoy and that are readily accessible. Work with a certified exercise leader to learn how to exercise safely.

--------------
Bettia

To be motivated, motivate others!
johnson1981
johnson1981
Canada
2007/04/12, 08:55 AM
I need help, I want to get a 6 pack in less than 4 week's! I already have somewhat of a 4 pack. But I need good tips on how to get a 6pack, by only useing my floor for sit ups.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/04/14, 07:28 PM
It's going to take a lot more than just floor work johnson, you will have to follow a diet, cardio and training and depending on what your size is now, you may or may not see that six pack in 4 weeks. These along with all other good things, take time to develop.

--------------
Bettia

"Minds are like parachutes; they work best when open." - Lord Thomas Dewar
pam48
pam48
United States
2007/05/09, 01:39 AM
i need help getting started on a plan for getting weight off without hurting my self, i have degenative disk disease, so i have to be careful
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/05/10, 03:09 AM
Hi Pam and welcome to FT!

Honestly, I would consult your physician before starting on any type of an exercise program and see what he suggests first. The level you start out on will possibly depend on your stage of DDD you have.

Good luck!

--------------
Bettia

"Minds are like parachutes; they work best when open." - Lord Thomas Dewar
ari99
ari99
United States
2007/09/28, 01:34 PM
Great post!!
caz25
caz25
United Kingdom
2008/01/01, 02:27 PM
great post
mysticalfairy22
mysticalfairy22
United States
2008/01/09, 06:36 AM
what would be the best work out plan for a 22 year old girl who weighes close to 400 pounds? and needs to lose 40 pounds b4 june.:)
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2008/01/09, 12:04 PM
Hi mystical and welcome. Check your inbox, you have mail. :)

--------------
Bettia

Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It is all about timing.
-Stacey Chapman