Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

is this normal?

slimdavie8026
slimdavie8026
United States
2003/03/31, 07:03 PM
I am 13 and I have been doing alot of workouts with low reps and high weight.Lately since I have been working out 4 to 5 days a week my bones have been poping alot mainly at my shoulders,elbows,and wrists.is this a bad thing or is it just my tendons and ligiments ajusting to the weight.anybody that has experienced this or knows anything hit me back. THANKS!!!

----------------------------
BarbellBoy8026
RaskalSbp
RaskalSbp
United States
2003/03/31, 10:10 PM
STOP!!!!...whatever you are doing is not good. If you constantly hear popping you are hurting your joints. YOu are running the risk of serious injury. It is never good to hear popping. Are you using free weights? If you are you are probably not controlling them...and letting all the weight fall on your joints. You are also 13. You should be focusing on cardio and light weights. YOu will have plenty of time to start power lifting later on. You are young, and it is not good to start powerlifting yet.
Justin_Wert
Justin_Wert
United States
2003/04/01, 09:55 AM
I am almost 17 and i hear popping/bones cracking in my wrists/elbows/shoulders when im benching/doing chest, what does thos all mean? im not even doing much weight, maybe 145, and i weight 220.
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/04/01, 01:52 PM
As long as it does not cause pain, there is really no need to worry, my bones and joints do this as well. And regardless of what raskalshop says, at 13, you can lift weights as long as you are properly supervised and perform all of the movements correctly. Good luck.
RaskalSbp
RaskalSbp
United States
2003/04/01, 01:58 PM
DaHayz...isnt giving you good advice. Being supervised at 13 is a must, especially while on the bench. Also at 13 if you are trying to squat and use heavy weights you can build muscle, and also stunt your growth. The choice is yours. Dhayz wont be the one suffering, you will.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/04/01, 02:05 PM
Ummm raskalsbp that is what dahayz said that at 13 it is ok to lift as long as you are properly supervised. At 13 you really need to take care to do the lift right and use perfect form and use a light weight....."And regardless of what raskalshop says, at 13, you can lift weights as long as you are properly supervised and perform all of the movements correctly. Good luck."

--------------
IF YOU CAN STILL ITCH YOUR NOSE AFTER ARM DAY, GO DO ANOTHER SET!!!
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/04/01, 03:05 PM
Thanks mutt, I am glad somebody reads the posts THOUROUGHLY. Raskalshop, trust me when I say I know what I am talking about. I know for a fact that there is no problem with a 13 year old lifting weights. You need to get a proper background in exercise physiology, anatomy, biomechanics and kineseology before telling me I am dispensing bad advice. The fitness industry is my life and career, and I don't make money on giving out bad advice. Please read the whole post next time before backing up statements without any reason.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/04/01, 04:48 PM
Yup....read the posts. AND weighttraing does NOT stunt a teens growth. What some get confused with is growth plates that we have in the arms legs and chest and back. If one injures those plates the bones will not form properly, that is why supervision is needed, and doesn't mean you will not grow to 6'. Popping bones though doesn't sound good, try lowering the weight and see what happens.
Good luck

--------------
We must become the change we want to see.

Ivan Montreal Canada
RaskalSbp
RaskalSbp
United States
2003/04/01, 07:36 PM
lol....you are a clown...In my first reply I said he can lift weights...LIGHT WEIGHTS...so please dont try to shine. You are the one who put words in my mouth and wrote that I said dont lift any weights I have also done my research and squats with heavy weight can stunt growth. DaHayz. Have you met Slim Davie? Do you know if he has any bone condition? Do you know how far he is developed yet? The answer is no. So its best to tell him to chill out on the weight until he finds out his problem from someone who can visibly see him. If you have done so much research you would have thought of that right? Giving online diagnosis, to a 13 year old, If goes out and gets hurt it would all be on you, and your great advice
killerAaron
killerAaron
United States
2003/04/01, 07:52 PM
I am new here and I dont want to start any arguments. I am 29 and have been working out for 10 years. I have to agree with Raskal though. You should stop doing lifting until you get checked by a doctor. I would hate to see you get hurt listening to Dhayz. Mutt and Carivan how old are you guys? taking sides in this, grow up. You guys need to read the posts THOROUGHLY before you get on Raskal. He gave some good advice. peace.
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2003/04/02, 06:30 AM
Well, the point of theses posts is to help people out. I can understand both of your ignorance. When you know nothing about a subject, the reply becomes, "stop what you are doing, check wit hyour doctor. ". I hate to break the news to you, doctors are not very educated on the subject of weight training unless they are a sports related physicians. Maybe both of you should educate yourselves further before making ignorant statements. That's all I need to say.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/04/02, 07:13 AM
How old am I? What does that have to do with this? I am not taking sides, you are. I said that Dahayz had said that same thing that he needed to have supervision. I have over 10 years of weightlifting under my belt, how many do you? I have done much reasearch about this topic....as long as young ones are properly watched weightlifting is ok. NO where in either of our posts did we push on him to lift heavy weights. If you hade bothers to read mine I did say that light weights proper form and he would be ok. If he has this popping and there is no pain it most likely is ok...if it contintues he of course should see a doc, or if there is pain. Besides calling us clowns and saying we do not have the knowledge is a very wrong thing to say, neither of you have bothered to read our posts totaly or have a clue as to our knowledge. But I applaud your concern for the young fella, and your motives are right good job there!

--------------
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/04/02, 01:31 PM
EVERYONE: keep this civil, or don't bother posting. The insults will stop NOW.

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/04/02, 01:44 PM
Oh my the big guy has spoken!!! I am done here!!!!!

--------------
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/04/02, 05:51 PM
Guys, guys, guys! You're all pretty!
Okay, sorry, but I have to chime in (i know, I am a know-it-all).
If you are experiencing popping and crackling it could be a number of things.
First of all - have a professional trainer check your form and evaluate your routine.
If you are still experiencing this check with your family physician and if he doesn't know you may want to go further and check with a sports medicine professional who may be more knowledgeable in this area.
It is actualy very professional of someone to say 'check with your physician'. It would be unprofessional to pretend to know what is going on in a 13 year-olds joints and say 'it is fine, keep doing what you are doing'.
I am not knocking anyone's advice - i am just saying that everyone here has a valid point and reason for their answer, but though western medicine may be just as in-the-dark as anyone else a lot of the time - you don't want a law suit from telling someone to ingnore something like joints popping and cracking when you can't know without physically evaluating them what might be causing it.
Some trainers will know how to differentiate what is causing it or may be able to test your joints to eliminate some possibilities - it depends on their background and education.
Lifting wieghts used to be a no-no for adolescents necause they tought it damaged the grwoth plates on their bones and stunted growth, when i went to school the current beleif was that it is okay for teens to lift weights, but they need to use good form (which means being supervised by a coach, trainer or knowledgable mentor, get adequate nutrition and enough rest to fully recover.
Okay, I will get off the soapbox now.

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2003/04/03, 11:03 AM
i'm not taking sides but i just gonna tell a few things i learned in my human anatomy class....... everyone knows testastron in men is the main hormone that induces groth factors in bones and skelatal muscles. Now from what i have read at 13 one has alot of this in his body well say he does work out....all this testastron in his body is liek a natural steriod he get musclear but he will "run' out of it when it comes times for bones to grow or won't have as much. I knew a guy that was working out in 6th grade getting ready for wrestling....he was big and cut for a 13-14 yr old but now he is only like 5'3" because of it. However i don't think 30mins 2 or 3 times a week well hurt u that much.........enjoy it while ur young don't hurt ur self early in life and have to live with it the rest of ur life.
2003/04/03, 03:43 PM
One of the main things we have to keep in mind is that many aspects of weight training and exercise science are built on THEORIES (some strong, others not so) that can be significantly modified depending on the particular person you are applying them to. Will a weight-training 13 year old stunt his growth? Maybe....research leans toward "no" if he is careful, but depending on the person, it could be a factor. If we had fully mastered the science of the body and made it equally applicable to each person, then our training techniques and personal preferences would whittle down to a few "master" programs that maximize human potential. It's just not going to happen like that, and I personally would be quite disappointed that trying new things and modifying my workout for my own body would be of no use anymore. Anyway, we all have our own conceptions of training, and despite our education and experiences, no single person can be an infallible and omniscient authority on exercise and the body. Each piece of advice that people offered to Slim has weight, some more than others, but none are the final, unquestionable authority. It's unfortunate that he turned out to be one of the more mature posters just by presenting his question.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
omen2853
omen2853
United States
2003/05/11, 09:13 PM
i think that this discussion is over by now judging by the date but i thought id post anyway. i hear popping in my shoulders mainly. ive been lifting heavyu for like 3 years or so. but i found that joint supplements stop it (while youre taking them anyway) speciffically glucosamine-chondroitin. llok into it. it worked for me
omen2853
omen2853
United States
2003/05/11, 09:13 PM
i think that this discussion is over by now judging by the date but i thought id post anyway. i hear popping in my shoulders mainly. ive been lifting heavyu for like 3 years or so. but i found that joint supplements stop it (while youre taking them anyway) speciffically glucosamine-chondroitin. llok into it. it worked for me