Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Benching advice doesnt seem to be wrking

master2976
master2976
United States
2002/12/28, 06:03 PM
Hello,
I have been weight lifting for about 2 years but recently I've been having trouble with my bench. I hit a peak a couple of months ago and I can't seem to get it back to where it was. I've tried different advice such as the 12 steps to improve bench, switching up my routine, tried to gain more muscle weight, and even resting more. I am currently about 175 pound, 5'11" and I work out 5 times a week. Any advice?

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/12/28, 06:32 PM
My first question to this dilema is usually what is your warmup sequence like? And second, what is your current reps/sets like? And how many times per week do you work chest? And, how are your triceps? We have some good power lifters here, Jbennet comes to mind along with Rev8ball, and I am sure someone will break you past your sticking point.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/12/29, 12:51 AM
master2976,
I noticed this is your first post - welcome to Free Trainers. Be sure to fill out your profile so we can answer your questions in a more efficient manner.

OK. I have a few questions. What are you benching now? What is your goal in about 12 weeks or so? If you set specific goals you will be able improve yourself and your routine much faster than if you had the wait-and-see attitude while you try something different. My next question is: how old are you? I am assuming you're male(?). I'll give you a link to a routine that will help:

http://deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/newdeep/louie2.htm

Its helped me add 50lbs+ to my bench this year. I just attempted 360 and although I didn't quite get it up, I would have never even been able to attept it without a training routine like the one the above link describes. I'd recommend to any insane individual trying to improve their bench. I'll tell you up front that its going to be one of the most difficult routines you've ever tried, but the hard work pays off. Don't forget to fill in your profile!!!!!

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
master2976
master2976
United States
2002/12/29, 10:55 PM
Hello =)... To answer some of your questions I am currently a 17 year old, male senior in high school. My warm up sequence usually consists of 185X10 repetitions. I usually try to do sets of 10,8,6,6,4 starting with 185X10 and adding 10 pounds each set. In 12 weeks I'd like to actually increase my bench max to more than it was before it actually peaked and dropped off a little which was 275. Using my workout routine I work my chest 1-2 times per week depending on the week since I have a 3 day schedule. (1 day chest and triceps, 1 day upper back, shoulders, bicepts, forearms, 1 day lower back and legs). My tricepts are in good shape and I have actually noticed an increase im my tricept strength. The only area in my work out that seems to be having trouble is my bench. Thanks guys for the advice.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/12/30, 08:59 AM
Your current benching routine appears to be more of a mass workout than one that will help you increase your strength and max bench. First, you're using too much weight on your warm-up sets. Use no more than 50% of the weight you plan on pushing that day to warm up. Even on days when I do my heavy sets (325+) I warm up with 135 and 205 (I do two warmup sets). Next, increase the amount of weight you add between each set. I increase the weight from 135 to 205 on my 2nd set - 70lb jump. Next set, same thing - 70lbs. Your increases may not be as big as mine, but, regardless, you need to add more than 10lbs between sets. On your heavy bench days, you should go up to somewhere between 90-95% of your current max. You should only be able to push out 1-3 good reps on your last 2-4 sets. If we assume that your max is still around 275, you'll need to be between 245-260 on your last couple sets. You'll be able to bench heavy unless you workout heavy.
The human body is an incredible machine; it will adapt to almost anything you do to it. Working out is a perfect example of that. If you workout heavy, you body adapts by making the muscles stronger and thicker, thus allowing you to lift heavier and heavier weight.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/12/30, 02:01 PM
There are many aspects to trying and improve any of the big lifts. And, contrary to popular belief, powerlifting is a very concise sport, physically and mentally, and training for it is very tight. So, it’s difficult to put down word for word what you may need and may be lacking into a single bulletin post. Jb hits some really good points, though. My advice to you is to start reading some of these articles that cover the lifts a little more generally, as well as Jb’s, and begin breaking down your regimen into specific areas – it’s easier to see all aspects of your training this way, as well as easier to ask specific questions. I know for a fact that we’ll be more than happy to help you through as much as possible, and as often as possible.

http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=15&m_ix=32465

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/index.htm

http://www.animalpak.com/cf/training/archives/benchanimal.html

http://www.animalpak.com/cf/training/articles/benchanimal2.html

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
master2976
master2976
United States
2002/12/30, 05:37 PM
Thnx for the advice guys... I'll try all the pointers you guys have given me and the information from the different links. Hopefully in 12 weeks ill have reached my goal. I'll keep you guys updated.
=)