Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Pushups

TDogs
TDogs
United States
2002/09/21, 06:43 PM
Are pushups and situps like benchs where you have to give every other day a rest or can you do it every day
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/09/21, 09:46 PM
You can pretty much do pushups every day. You can have an ultimate chest pump from them most of the time! If you want to start increasing your chest size though, you are going to have to incorporate some heavy bench work with weights.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/09/22, 11:11 AM
I have a question I think I know the answer, but here goes...I have to leave the gym for a while. I plan on doing some workouts at home..I know the exercises to do etc...what I want to know is how much strength in the chest(I have made good gains in size and shape) If all I do for the next 2 months are a lot of push ups?

--------------
Life comes by only once....Live it to the fullest!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/09/22, 11:16 AM
You can probably keep your gains with pushups and correct diet. Most peoples muscles atrophy simply due to the fact that they don't keep up their good nutritional plan when they don't work out.I don't think you will see too many more size gains without weights, but you can always make the appearace of it by your doing more endurance type exercises at home such as biking, or running, etc. and correct diet. By all means, keep up the pushups. Best of luck.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/09/22, 02:13 PM
Thanks that was what i thought, I plan to do a lot of biking, running and so weight lifting.

--------------
Life comes by only once....Live it to the fullest!
TDogs
TDogs
United States
2002/09/22, 04:20 PM
put they do work your arms right because that is the only reason I'm doing them for.
Bnoble
Bnoble
United States
2002/09/23, 10:10 AM
I am an Ex-military guy (infantry-scout)...needless to say, I've done a few pushups in my day.

Here's my experience.

I was actively pursuing a military fitness goal. I was doing between 3-500 push-ups per day (throughout the day, even when in the field) Usually 50 at a time, whenever I thought about it. This period lasted about a year. Before and after I was probably doing about 100 day.(once in the morning, and then at night)

Depending on hand placement, you can excercise totally different muscles. In my case, my chest is not genetically inclined to develop (I didn't conciously know this at the time). As a result I naturally gravitated torward a tight (hands close together) approach.

The above approach places most of the stress on you tri-ceps. To this day, my Tri's are one of my best arm features, I can cable as much (if not more) weight with them than I can curl with my biceps. I have a well developed "Horse-shoe".

Today I still do push-ups, but mainly to make sure that I remain flexible (in chest), and to warm up. I use a wide stance now(arms wide), and I can really feel it in my chest. If you really wanna gun your tri's, do "Diamonds". Form a diamond with your index finger and thumbs, and while in place do your push-ups. When you can do 50 of them sequentially, in good form (no ass-in-air, nor back-swaying), you will most certainly have some triceps to be proud of.

These are not mass building excercises, but "Man-building" excercises. Endurance, strength, perseverance....these things build all these characteristics.

I also used to do a billion(seems like) sit-ups a day, if anyone is interested in that story...lol..let me know.

I hope this was useful. I know of quite a few "huge" guys that do nothing but calistenics (sp?). As a matter of fact, I think (this could be urban legend) Hershal Walker was an example of a monster built by these methods.

Good luck to ya,

--------------
"When going through hell......DON'T STOP"
jnellie
jnellie
United States
2002/09/23, 06:59 PM
did 20 diamond pushups my 1st try what a burn in the triceps man i think i will keep up with this and see how it goes thanks always like to try new things....
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/09/23, 09:34 PM
bnoble is exactly right. Anything close grip will definitely do the triceps a number. The wider you go, the more you incorporate chest and shoulders. The triangle with your hands is great triceps work.