Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Partials

rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/02/04, 04:28 PM
Just my 50 cents worth (and a cup of coffee):

If you're trying to increase your strength in any of the compound lifts (squat, bench, dead, press, etc.), dont forget about partials. Focusing the concentration on one of the thirds of the total lift movement can really increase your overall strength and power. This is not "cheating," but an actual overloading of a particular group of muscle fibers beyond their normal operating limits.

If you havent tried them yet, take a shot. The best place to do them is in a safety cage/rack. Only work one third of the movement once per lifting cycle, otherwise you'll be defeating the purpose, that is, over training. Your reps will be low, your weights will be very heavy, but dont forget to keep strict form and control. Good luck.

"If your eyes aint bleedin', keep liftin'!".........Michael
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/02/05, 02:10 AM
Okey, I'll explain another thing about working partials and why it's good once in a while. For ex when doing bench presses, the first 3/4 of the total lift movement you only use your pecs and the last 1/3 it's actually the triceps who are working.

That's why when wanting to work more intensive with a muscle, partials are good. BUT as Michael says, don't do it too often otherwise you'll over train.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/02/05, 05:09 AM
"21s" are a variation of doing partials. I do that occasionally just to do something different. Partials aren't as easy as it may seem. When I do heavy squats and I can't physically do one more rep, I will do partials to finish burning my thighs.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/02/05, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the tip Michael. Some of us have forgotten that we can employ this during our workouts...including myself!