Group: New Members Greet & Meet - Introduce yourself

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 1537, Messages: 27037

Officially introduce yourself to the community by sharing your goals, obstacles or accomplishments. Don't be shy.. we're all here for the same reason. The more support we share the easier it will be to reach our goals!

Join group

creatine

bogorp
bogorp
United States
2002/01/10, 04:38 PM
I have heard many mixed messages about the use of creatine. Most of the information is negative. Can anyone shed some light on the use of this suppliment?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/10, 04:54 PM
Bogorp, please use the search feature as there have been many discussions on this subject. Personally, I use it and have had no problems. One thing you have to understand is that there hasn't been much in the way of long-term studies done on creatine...therefore, this is one of those judgment calls/preference.

Creatine also comes in many forms, such as powder, serum, effervescent tabs and capsules. I prefer the powder, but to each his own.

If you want more info. on creatine, check out www.webmd.com and search for creatine. There's numerous articles on this supplement.

Good luck.
rickgarvia
rickgarvia
United States
2002/01/13, 09:50 AM
I tried it, and besides not noticing any difference, I was also worried about the long-range effects.

For your money, you can't beat protein. Protein powders are cheap, tasty, and do the trick. I'm a classic hard gainer (6'1, 165) and I started heavy protein intake when I started the Free Trainers program 12 weeks ago. I'm now 176, and I can see a definite difference.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/13, 11:19 AM
Yes but Rick, you cannot compare creatine to protein powder.... It's NOT the same thing and it doesn't work in the same way in the body (I'll let our supplement expert, Michael explain all that).

We always need proteins but sometime it's a good idea to take some creatine as well.

By the way, happy for you that you had great gains after the 12 week program!!
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/13, 11:33 AM
Rick, not all creatine is created equal. I, too, am a classic hardgainer but have noticed a difference when taking creatine vs. not taking. Like philia2 says, you can't compare the 2 as they funtion differently. You have to consider that creatine will work if it is taken and delivered to your system properly.

Are you considering signing up for another 12 week program? I'm over half way on my 8 week mass program but will probably sign up for the 12 week program right after.
rickgarvia
rickgarvia
United States
2002/01/15, 06:36 AM
I signed up for the advanced program, and started it yesterday.

Which brand of creatine did you use? I tried EAS for about 3 weeks, and honestly didn't notice a difference. Again -- I'm not disputing that some people can have good results with it, but rather my concern was with the overall health effects from long term use.

I read a book once called Super Squats. It was written a while ago by some old time lifter who swore all a person needed to make massive gains was 20 reps of squats, 3 days per week, and 2 quarts of milk and a hunk of cheese per day. I'm sure this probably worked for some people too. I guess my point is that there are a lot of ways -- both with organic food and with supplements -- to make gains. I tend to favor organic methods (although I draw the line at 2 quarts of milk and a hunk of cheese a day).
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/15, 06:39 AM
We are all different Rick (luckily). We don't all have the same morphology, genetic or discipline......

But everybody can get great results if they really want.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/15, 10:30 AM
I personally used the serum (from Muscle Marketing) the very first time I got back into weight training. It gave me strength during my workouts and noticed quicker recovery time (wasn't as sore after workouts, too).

However, I now use Cell-Tech from MuscleTech. The only reason why I switched was the delivery method used (Cell-Tech contains taurine and sugars to help deliver the creatine to the cells more quickly and effectively). So far, I can't complain! I continue to see strength gains and quick recovery. I'm going to cycle off of it soon as I have been taking it for almost 7 weeks now...probably lay off for 1-2 weeks, then load again.

Not everyone responds to creatine. However, you won't know 'till you try it. If you're just too skeptical, stick with a good multi-vitamin daily, amino acids (l-glutamine) after your workouts and lots of protein drinks/foods.

Let us know how it goes...
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/01/15, 04:28 PM
i used creapure brand creatine. only 3 or 4 companies use it, Universal and Prolab come to mind. its a lil' pricey, but it is the cleanest on the market, and it was the only one that worked for me.

super squats is a helluva a book. i loved it, and i know more people than not that swore by it.

good luck............michael
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/01/10, 05:27 PM
A great article on the subject was written by Jeff Everson in Planet Muscle. Click on this, and it should take you to it: http://planetmuscle.com/articles/4_5/editorial.html .
Another good site for creatine info is www.creapure.com.

Personally, it worked pretty good for me. Stick with the old fashioned powder - its the only one that has studies to back up its effectiveness. Serums, etc., do not; and damn they can get expensive!

Best of luck to you...............Michael
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/01/10, 08:20 PM
I did a lot of research on creatine when I was in college. Most of the news back then (4 years ago) was also negative. I will admit, I was hesitant about trying it at first, but now I know that this is the one supplement that I know works and works well. Just be sure to drink plenty of water or it won't work. That was never a problem for me, but can be for some (for some reason). However, I would not advise anyone with a urinary tract disorder (due to the extremely rare but possible creatinine build-up) or anyone under the age of 18 to take it.

You will hear negative comments about everything - increased protein will damage the kidneys, glutamine is a neurotoxin, blah, blah, blah. As long as people have common sense, everything will be OK. Don't take 150 grams of creatine a day (duh) and you should be fine.

By the way, welcome to Free Trainers! I noticed this was your first post.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/11, 02:51 AM
Yes hi Bogorp, listen to the good advice of the guys and welcome in here as well!!!

Creatine is worth a try, that's all I can say, if you don't try you wont know.
BillK
BillK
United States
2002/01/12, 09:26 PM
Well there you have it! All the information you could ask for about Creatine. It is always a good idea to do your research on any supplement before taking it. The basic supplements to bodybuilding are Creatine, Glutamine and Protein. Welcome Aboard! I'm sure you will enjoy yourself here at FT.

~billk~
MuscleRage
MuscleRage
United States
2002/01/17, 06:56 PM
CREATINE IS GREAT!!!! I LOVE IT!!GREAT GAINS
sirks001
sirks001
United States
2002/05/13, 08:55 PM
Someone in here mentioned that if creatine doesn't work for them then stick to multi-vitamens etc...
Is there anything wrong with taking creatine & multi-vitamens?

Sirks
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/05/14, 10:10 AM
No...you can take both at the same time.

--------------
**_Robert_**