Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

metabolism

steve2
steve2
Canada
2003/01/10, 08:13 AM
Hi everyone!!! I need a little advice on how to try and
speed up ones metabolism. (help???) I workout 5 days a week and bike 3 times for 30 minutes.Thanks Steve
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/01/10, 10:00 AM
Sounds like you are doing plenty workout. Next question is your diet. Are you trying to diet hard? If so, your metabolism may have slowed as a result. It may sound weird, but eating more of the "right" calories will actually help put your metabolism in high gear. And more frequent feedings. A couple of thoughts anyway.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
steve2
steve2
Canada
2003/01/10, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the advice bb1fit! How many hours between meals?
I know that you should have a meal before working out and
that for 2 hours after a workout is the best time to load
your body for repair. What about a shake before bedtime?

steve2
steve2
Canada
2003/01/10, 03:39 PM
Thanks ravenwolf! I will give this a try.
Steve
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/01/10, 08:17 PM
Ravenwolf gave you good info, remember though, good calories! Try to go no more than 3 hours without a feeding. And make sure you are getting at least 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight at least, even 1 1/2 won't hurt. Divide this up equally among your 5 meals. Use whole grains and fibrous carbs for your carb sources. Good luck to you.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
steve2
steve2
Canada
2003/01/12, 05:10 PM
bb1fit Thanks again!!!!
Steve
XxDJBxx
XxDJBxx
United States
2005/02/15, 10:56 PM
I am a teen who eats about 2 times a day.... and many "snacks"... at school I eat a chicken burger and drink a gatorade... when i get home i usually just eat a sandwich... i am not getting enough proteins.. I need a little advice of what i should eat daily... Im not very fond of veggies.. It is very hard for me to lose weight... i have been drinking lots of water and diet soda... i have not touched a regular soda for a long time... and i still see no changes... I really need to speed up my metabolism.. can anyone help!? :(
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2005/02/16, 09:45 AM
Welcome to FT!

First off, I would suggest increasing the amount of "meals" you eat to 5-6 if possible, now I know with school that may be difficult, but try to eat at least 3-4 within your day then, make them smaller and the calories leaning toward "good for you" foods. Try to bring easy to eat foods with you, and I would suggest fruits or veggies and I know that you say you don't care for veggies, but try experimenting, I loated them as a child, but that was because my parents just served them up the same old, nasty way all the time (as does the school often), so see what you can tolerate as they are definately something you need. Then there is beef jerkey (there is low sodium now & it is high in protein), I have some in my car, work, etc. Also, peanuts are high in protein, just don't go overboard! This way when your stomach says feed me - you can. I haven't seen you mention exercise, and if you haven't that is going to be one of the best ways to implement a good metabolism, exercise and good diet - no way around it!

Good luck to you!! :)
XxDJBxx
XxDJBxx
United States
2005/02/17, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the info.... as for excerise I have gotten out of football this year to concentrate more on my school work...all advanced classes and staying after school until 7 is kinda hard :D... I noticed I have not been this big ever! Ever since I got out of football I have gained a significant amount of weight... about 20 pounds or so... When i get my license I am planning on getting a membership to a gym or something... Thanks aagin for the info!!