Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

saggy neck

CarolJ
CarolJ
United States
2002/10/09, 01:20 PM
Hi, I'm 45 and lost about 20 lbs with weight training and cardio. I went from 23% body fat to 14%. I've kept the weight off for about 4 months. I'm very pleased with the results, but there is lose skin on the front of my neck where my double chin used to be, and I think it makes me look older (almost looks worse than the double chin). Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I posted this in the basic exercise forum, and the only answer I received told me that I can't spot reduce. Well, that I know.

Rather, I was thinking that maybe by building up some muscles in that area, I might tighten up the skin. Are there any neck exercises that could tone up the area?

Has anyone else had this problem, and what was the outcome?

Thanks.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/10/09, 01:24 PM
I would check with a plastic doctor about it but I have read a lot on this and it is most likely going to be lifted and tucked.

--------------
I LIFT, THERFORE, I AM!
Tinaraye
Tinaraye
United States
2002/10/11, 09:31 AM

Hi CarolJ,
I don't know if this will help or not but if you tighten your neck as tight as you can,
strain those neck mussels and raise your chin upward.. Open your mouth jut out your
lower jaw until you feel your neck tighten, then raise your lower jaw upward as far
as you can.. feel that tightness??
I don't know if this will help loose skin or not but if you do that 10 or 20 times.. You
WILL feel it in your neck the next day..
It is worth a try, possibly those neck mussels being built up will help. it is worth a
try.. I do it because I don't want twin chins..

kr
kr
United States
2003/08/14, 04:40 AM
Hi, Ihave found neck execises will keep the head from leaning forward and the chicken flap wont appear in that position, but if you look at Arnold's press clips you can see he has it sometimes. So since he has all the money and acess to all the exercises grin and bear it but keep your chin up .
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/08/14, 03:48 PM
I posted on this a while back also. Only advice I got was firming creams, which nobody actually gave me names of and plastic surgery. I was noticing mine in the mirror last night and was thinking what a shame to be getting my body in shape just to have my face and neck look older :(

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
rickyshot
rickyshot
United States
2003/09/11, 10:29 PM
Sorry my dear but you lost a lot of weight and you are in your forties. That is loose skin and skin that also lost elasticity. No exercise or magic cream will help. It is surgery time or live with it. Exercise helps muscle but not skin. Muscle can plump up and fill loose skin in some, but the 20's are gone no matter what anyone says. If these magice creams really worked, it would make medical history, and be swept up by the drug companies with the quickness and quite expensive ( and I mean quite). Get a loose rubber band rub cream on it and notice it still is loose and looks the same but may feel softer. Exercise it pull it back and forth and it will hang loose just the same. Your skin is the same way. The "elastic" is going due to age , genetics and weight loss.
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/10/03, 05:53 PM
Ok girls, I saw in a catalog last night a thing called Perfect Profile. It is like a small massager for your neck and throat. The pulsation therapy is supposed to help with that saggy look. Nina, if you're out there, what do you think? I know you have talked about massage a lot.

--------------
~Victoria~
Lynhira
Lynhira
United States
2003/12/10, 04:04 PM
Yes, I see plastic surgery in my future but what the hell I havent come this far to live with saggy skin. We do what we must. Guys are so lucky :)
bayarts
bayarts
United States
2004/10/13, 11:53 AM
RUBBISH about plastic surgery! You CAN firm your neck and your entire body. I was a flabby jellyfish before using Callan Pickney's "Callinetics". It works. It works better than anything else I have ever seen.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/10/13, 01:03 PM
i herd chewing gum helps with jaw and neck muscles?:(

--------------
....I'm probably in my underwear typing this......or maybe not!
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2004/10/14, 07:28 PM
Its been a while since I posted that but after 31/2 years of working out and weight loss I had done all I could for my neck and was left with a very loose, still a little flabby, and very unattractive flap. This summer for my birthday my hubby let me get lipo for it and I am so happy. At my age I still dont have a tight neck like a 20 year old would but what I have is 1/4 of what was there before and I look and feel 10 years younger. Someone actually told me the other day they thought I was around 38 and that I should start lying about my age! They said not to really judge the outcome until after 6 months so mine could even get a little better, but I am very happy and cant wait for hubby to see my happy face now. My advice is if you work hard at getting in shape and you feel good but somehting like that still bothers you as it did me. Find the money and have it done. :big_smile:

--------------
~Victoria~
...Do not be discouraged; everyone who got where he is, started where he was.--anon
mongrual
mongrual
United States
2004/11/05, 04:20 PM
Well CarolJ I lost a bunch of weight myself 290 to 165 and had the same problem. A friend told me of an exercise that really helped with the neck area under the Chin. Just take two fingers from one hand (index and middle)and gently place under chin. Gentle lift up while pushing down with your tongue on the roof of your mouth and hold 10 seconds repeat5 or 6 times.
NearlyMotivated
NearlyMotivated
Ireland
2007/02/03, 01:03 PM

============
Quoting from mongrual:

Just take two fingers from one hand (index and middle)and gently place under chin. Gentle lift up while pushing down with your tongue on the roof of your mouth and hold 10 seconds repeat5 or 6 times.
=============

Hey not to crash in on you but there are a load of exercises like this, for toning neck and facial muscles. They are called oromotor exercises and should appear if you google them. However, most of them are used by speech language pathologists for kids with physical disabilities to help them tone muscles for speech, so don't know if they would specifically help with your problem.

Just thought you should know that.

By the way as far as creams are concerned using firming creams even for your body which contain collagen are the best for helping to firm skin. Hope this helps:)
helenhutch
helenhutch
United Kingdom
2007/11/28, 08:44 AM

============
Quoting from bayarts:

RUBBISH about plastic surgery! You CAN firm your neck and your entire body. I was a flabby jellyfish before using Callan Pickney's "Callinetics". It works. It works better than anything else I have ever seen.
=============
Hi
I am thinking of becoming certified to teach Callinetics, what do you think of the exercises included in the programme are they effective?
nanalois
nanalois
United States
2009/01/26, 06:18 PM
I fell hint the back of my head which popped my head forwadr. I wore a collad for a year, now I can not get my chin up at all. What exercise can I do to improve my neck strength
Nokomis
Nokomis
United States
2009/03/11, 08:43 AM
Thank you for saying it as it is! I think I'll be able to accept my "aging" neck after your post.

============
Quoting from rickyshot:

Sorry my dear but you lost a lot of weight and you are in your forties. That is loose skin and skin that also lost elasticity. No exercise or magic cream will help. It is surgery time or live with it. Exercise helps muscle but not skin. Muscle can plump up and fill loose skin in some, but the 20's are gone no matter what anyone says. If these magice creams really worked, it would make medical history, and be swept up by the drug companies with the quickness and quite expensive ( and I mean quite). Get a loose rubber band rub cream on it and notice it still is loose and looks the same but may feel softer. Exercise it pull it back and forth and it will hang loose just the same. Your skin is the same way. The "elastic" is going due to age , genetics and weight loss.
=============

--------------
Nokomis
2009/07/14, 07:05 PM
Uummm, this post is 7 years old.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie