Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Heavy or Light first

saurabhsahu
saurabhsahu
India
2002/07/25, 12:39 AM
Hi !
When I do sets should I start with heavier weights first and then move on to lighter weights or vice - versa

----------------------------
~ No Pain - No Gain ~
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/07/25, 02:53 AM
Yes vice versa, the other way around. Start with light weights (warm up) and then take heavier with less reps.

Luck to you!

--------------
- Nina :o) Vous êtes tous magnifiques!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/09/16, 08:52 PM
Well, if you are trying to gain mass, then as stated, start out with light warmup sets, but only warmup sets. Do not waste energy here. The purpose here is just to warm up the muscle, not use any energy expenditure to speak of. the warmup should consist of about 12 reps with an easy weight to handle, then 8 with the same weight. Then go to about 75% of your normal "work" weight, and do only 3. This is an acclimation set, letting your muscles know, ok, heavy weight is coming. Then go immediately to your top weight you can do for 6 reps. If you can do more than 6, the weight is too light. Try the first time you do this type of warmup to go 10 lbs. heavier than you normally do on your work set. I bet you will be amazed. Remember, heavy weights, muscle overload is what builds muscle. If you play around too long wasting time on too many warmup sets, you will be cheating yourself out of progress.
anurag_chigs
anurag_chigs
India
2002/09/21, 07:22 AM
bb1fit seems logical
thanks for this one
its reallly seems very informative
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/09/21, 01:07 PM
defintely as stated above, but only for the first exercise of a particular muscle group. i.e., you only need to warm up once.
for example, if you're doing a chest day and the bench press is your first lift: do your warm ups and work up progressively. but after that, i would not waste anytime with light sets for your other chest exercises - you are already warmed up. for your other chest lifts, go right into your heavy lifts, and work your way down with your sets.

hope that helps.........

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"