Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

quick weight loss . . . but delayed??

nikki_m_austin
nikki_m_austin
United States
2003/02/26, 11:48 AM
I have read somewhere that sometimes when we (women) start a new exercise program and improve our eating (aka go on a diet!), there can be a delay in weight loss of about a month or two before the weight just starts "dropping off." How realistic can this be, really??

I started a new, more focused weights/cardo/diet plan that I hope to make a permanent life change with (versus short-term). I started it a month and 1 1/2 weeks ago. I have lost about 5lbs, and am a bit frustrated but am trying to keep in mind how much better I FEEL and that I do feel firmer. My clothes aren't any looser, tho, despite being pretty committed to this change, which confuses me. I'm 5’11" and about 175 lbs now (in my pic I'm about 180). How do I stay away from feeling so down about this stupid "number" fixation. I hate feeling so tall and so heavy!!

BUT my real question . . . I have heard some women mention a delay in weight loss where they are building muscle, losing fat, and in about the 8-10th week, dropping a large amount of fat weight around then. I dunno why - - due to the shock of routine change?? What I’m doing now isn’t all too extreme from what I’ve done in the past, just more dedicated.

Like there is a delay in your body's response to less calories eaten / more cals burned. How true can this be? I hate to kinda hold on to that false hope.

Thanks again FT & all for your responses!! Nik
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2003/02/26, 11:51 AM
Nikki, I am not one to know if it is true, but that is exactly what happened to me a while back. Ravenwolf was dropping weight like crazy and i was stuck in the same size (very frustrating) about the 8th week i suddenly dropped 2 clothes sizes in a matter of two weeks. I know this sounds crazy, but it happens. Could have something to do with our bodies system. Don't have to answer to it though.

--------------
Bettia.... When you feel like giving up, take it to the limit one more time!! You will SUCEED :-)
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/02/26, 11:56 AM
Men tend to drop fat quicker than women because men generally have more muscle tissue on them, and women generally hold on to fat more readliy than men, all thanks to mother nature..... LOL

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
Greenlee
Greenlee
United States
2003/02/26, 10:12 PM
I do not exactly know why, but with me I build muscles very fast, and in large amounts. Not like your average woman, but I found that when the muscle started to appear I loss a lot of body fat, and very little in size. Muscles are now very prevalentand very little fat to be found. Loving this look. I guess it all just depends on your genetic make-up. You know thos chromosomes that your parents gave you. Blame it all on your parents.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2003/02/27, 01:34 AM
well mother nature should be so lucky, i would have a few choice words for her right about now...LOL! figures, women always have to work harder at what they want! oh wait, then that makes us the stronger ones in the end. (smiles)

--------------
Bettia.... When you feel like giving up, take it to the limit one more time!! You will SUCEED :-)
nikki_m_austin
nikki_m_austin
United States
2003/02/28, 02:31 PM
Anybody else had that experience? Or is this just me, I'm doing all the right things, but am stuck? My body / my bone to pick w dear old momma nature . . .? I am honestly doing the right stuff, dammit . . . = )

Nikki
Yarmak
Yarmak
United States
2003/03/17, 08:55 PM
Hi ....I am having the same problem. I have been working out 5 days a week and not one pound gone no matter what I do and how hard I work it. I can see a difference in my body, but not weight.......I feel for you!! It sucks!

Gerri
jxlynxli
jxlynxli
United States
2003/03/17, 09:33 PM
im not sure if it is true either, but it also depends on the persona and how intense and how clean your diet is...while you build muscle you are losing weight, its like killing 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak...
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2003/03/17, 09:43 PM
It will come trust me. I thought I was never gonna lose mine. I lost it and have kept it off. I plan on getting better in shape and hopefully soon. I hate not being able to work out, especially now because it is so hard to eat healthy at work. I son't have time to heat anything really, it is like shoving a quick bite in your mouth and moving on. I plan on changing that very soon. Keep doing what you are doing and it will come, like ravenbeauty said, it will be a shocker. I didn't drop size until about two months into it, then the sizes just kept coming off. I lost about 3 sizes in that next month.

--------------
Lisa

Just laugh about it....
friendly09
friendly09
United States
2003/03/18, 09:29 PM
I have been working out for 6 weeks now - 5 days a week and have lost about 4 lbs. I know weight loss isn't fast, but I am definitely frustrated. I hope I start losing really soon too.
fit4ever
fit4ever
United States
2003/03/19, 08:28 PM
Women have more bodyfat than men do, the breasts and butt are mostly made of fat tissue. Once you start losing weight those two areas are where you will notice the biggest difference. Diet is the key..you really have to eat clean...besides strength training and cardio. Plus it takes more than one month before you will really see a difference...just stick to it and it will be worth it..unfortunately there is no quick fix..its all hard work and determination..but you can do it..good luck!!
sebrina
sebrina
United States
2003/04/24, 09:52 AM
Hi, everytime I try to "eat right" & exercise, I get frustrated about 1 wk. into it! I have a problem with binge eating!!! I need help, I hate the way I look, feel, everything really! Please, some uplifting words; anybody? Ifeel I'm supposed to be fat & bumpy looking.
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2003/04/25, 02:45 PM
Sebrina, I totally understand where you are coming from. It is very hard to break a habit and I think binge eating also becomes very emotional. I started feeling very upset becuase I was working so hard and I wasn't able to see an effects so I would say screw it and just continue binge eating. But that makes me feel so horrible and I are trying so hard to just break the habit. So I am with you right now and I know how hard it is. I would rather eat a piece of chocolate than an apple but I am forcing myself to.
laramertz
laramertz
United States
2003/04/25, 05:00 PM
Once you start seeing results your motivation will be higher but you have to remember that it takes awhile. You need to set small goals for yourself and get excited about them. Give yourself a cheat day for eating once a week or once every 2 weeks, it might make it easier if you know you can cheat in a few days rather than feeling like you'll never get to eat the food you crave again. It will get better, just stick with it!
fsimmons
fsimmons
United States
2003/05/01, 12:15 PM
i started a routine in jan 03 and since then i've lost 16lbs total. however i haven't lost a pound in the last 5 weeks.
i've read that when you chg your diet and exercise habits your body can go into a type of shock - a starvation mode where you plateau. it's your body's response to less food and trying to preserve life. once your body gets used to the lesser amt of food (and realizes you're not starving), it begins to release the fat more readily.
so don't give up...
you have to teach your body a lesson. you're the boss and you're not starving so deal with it and let the fat go!
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/05/01, 01:41 PM
You all are lucky that you are losing. I have been working out for 2 years and have only lost 10-12 lbs. It seems I keep losing part of it over and over. I lose three, I gain 2. My body is much tighter and I can feel the muscles under the fat, but it has bee really frustrating for me. Last year when I took my first 2 week break I lost 2 pounds by not going to the gym and not worrying about what I ate....weird. The trainer explained it by saying it meant I had improved my resting metabolism a lot, but of course as soon as I went back to lifting it cam back. Lately, it has been brought to my attention that by trying to eat fewer calories, that I was not eating enough to support my workouts, so I had to actually add 1000 calories and double my protein. I feel like I am eating too much, but have been assured that it will help and I will start to see weight loss again. I sure hope so because even though I keep going to the gym and lifting heavier, I feel like I am spinning my wheels most of the time. Boy this turned out to be a long one!