Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

what am i doing wrong??

jacqueline
jacqueline
United States
2003/02/06, 10:27 AM
I have been working out for about 1 1/2 months. I am trying to gain weight and get some curves (especially legs/butt. I don't do much cardio - about 2 times a week for 30 minutes. Working out with as heavy weights as I can lift - each body part once a week. I am 5'2" and weighed 102 when I started. I now weigh 111, but my clothes are fitting looser than ever and i look skinnier, does this make sense.
jacqueline
jacqueline
United States
2003/02/06, 03:10 PM
Typical days diet:
brkfst - oatmeal, banana, yogurt, juice
snack - balance bar, milk
lunch - chicken breast, rice, spinach, milk
snack - protein shake (whey protein powder, milk, carnation instant breakfast)
dinner - steak, mashed potatoes, green beans, juice
before bed: peanut butter sandwich, milk

Exercise: mostly bench press, squats, lunges, curls, leg press, a few push-ups, deadlifts.

Supplements:creatine (powder mixed grape juice)

jacqueline
jacqueline
United States
2003/02/06, 03:13 PM
Also, if this helps answer my questions any better, I got my bodyfat tested at the gym and it is 16%.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/02/06, 04:37 PM
what are the total cal you eat per day that maybe where you need to adjust!

--------------
IF YOU CAN STILL ITCH YOUR NOSE AFTER ARM DAY, GO DO ANOTHER SET!!!
jacqueline
jacqueline
United States
2003/02/06, 04:53 PM
i've been really trying to eat about 2000 cal. a day.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/02/06, 05:07 PM
Ok that sounds like it is plenty. What are you eaating in terms of protein?

--------------
IF YOU CAN STILL ITCH YOUR NOSE AFTER ARM DAY, GO DO ANOTHER SET!!!
jacqueline
jacqueline
United States
2003/02/06, 05:43 PM
mostly chicken, steak, tuna, peanut butter & I bought an unflavored whey protein powder from GNC that use to make a shake for a snack and I also add it to my oatmeal in the morning.
mackfactor
mackfactor
United States
2003/02/07, 01:41 PM
It honestly sounds like you're doing everything right. Your bodyfat is immpressively low, though, and oddly enough that might be your problem. You probably lost some of your body fat during workouts. Don't pay TOO much attention to the scale, when you weight yourself throughout the day can account for a good amount of weight change. Chances are you've gained muscle and lost fat and that's made you skinnier. And oddly enough, the solution to your problem might be more body fat. Any other opinions?
Sorry about sticking my head in the women's only forum, I just thought I'd see what it is you talk about in private - kinda like listening in on bathroom conversations, I guess . . . I'll go now . . .

--------------
"Don't follow leaders and watch your parking meters!"
-- Bob Dylan
jacqueline
jacqueline
United States
2003/02/07, 01:56 PM
So, should I start eating some foods with a lot of fat in them or should I just keep doing what I'm doing for a while longer and see if I get any bigger.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2003/02/07, 03:20 PM
lmao at mackfactor and ravenwolf, we don't mind as long as you don't get off on it...LOL

jacqueline it is safe to up your food intake just make sure that if you do add fats, they are good ones. i would do a search here on good nutrition for your specific situation. also read pasts posts on the same subject you have addressed here by doing a search as well.

good luck!

--------------
Bettia.... You are nothing less than Beautiful in my eyes.
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2003/02/07, 06:36 PM
your brkfst and first snack are low on protein, so that would be a good place to add some extra calories. (Maybe add some eggs to your breakfast and instead of the Balance bar, a protein bar (there are recipes on the recipe section that you can try out or you can just buy one).)
lalababy
lalababy
United States
2003/02/09, 10:30 PM
jacqueline- here is something that you should look at as well: how many sets and reps are you doing with each exercise?? also how many hours of sleep do you get at night on average??
I am in the same situation as you. I actually noticed a change though- especially in my legs! i loved it!
jacqueline
jacqueline
United States
2003/02/10, 10:24 AM
sets/reps = 3 sets/12, 8, 6
sleep - about 6 hours
A trainer at my gym said I should start taking a branch chain amino acid - do you think that would help?
lalababy
lalababy
United States
2003/02/10, 03:00 PM
okay.. there is your problem! Six hours of sleep is NOT enough- you need at LEAST eight in order for you muscles to repair. you say that you are even skinnier now than before- it is because you aren't giving your muscles enough time to repair and there is a reverse effect- instead of rebuilding and getting bigger- they are being torn down without sufficient time to repair. so everytime you workout- your muslces are being torn down repeatedly. of course you are skinnier! how old are you? i don't know about the branch chain amino acid thing- i will look into that.
jacqueline
jacqueline
United States
2003/02/10, 03:20 PM
thanks,
i'm 38. If I'm only working each bodypart once a week, isn't that enough time for them to repair?
lalababy
lalababy
United States
2003/02/10, 07:41 PM
well since you are doing one body part a week- you do have a lot of time to repair- but on avg. you should be getting more than six hours. i think most people here will agree. also.. if you are looking to gain, maybe you should consider working twice a week. that is what my trainer has me doing and he also told me about the eight hour sleep thing. most people's opinions vary often, and you say you have a trainer, but you are also skinnier. everyone is differnt, but this is what works for me =)- maybe for you too.
jacqueline
jacqueline
United States
2003/02/11, 12:13 PM
I think I will try working each part twice a week, I don't know if I'll be able to get in more sleep. Actually, I don't have a trainer, I just asked her for a little advice. Can I ask just one more question - If I work out on Monday I don't feel any soreness until Wednesday and then I'm really sore. Do you think this has anything to do with me not gaining. Thanks for your help.
lalababy
lalababy
United States
2003/02/11, 02:09 PM
sometimes that happens. it's called delayed (off or on set) muscle soreness- doms- it happens to a lot of people. if you are getting sore- then you are doing something RIGHT, regardless of wether it's the day after of two days later- you are still sore. i worked out on monday and i am just a little sore today , barely, but i know tomorrow i am REALLY going to feel it! but i do think that you should try working out twice a week- lower body.. see if that changes anything. also- be sure not to be doing the same exercises all the time- switch your routine up A LOT! that is what really makes the muscles grow bigger. change the reps- go with higher reps and heavier weight.
that is what my trainer has me doing. Believe me- it works!! He is Mr. USA 2002 and he really knows what he is doing! I know the reps seem a bit high- because for toning- high reps and bulking low reps- that is an "old wives tale" is what my trainer says. he has 8% body fat at 270 lbs. and competes all the time- he looks great! i really trust him. do the high reps with moderatly to heavy weight- or at least perform as many reps as you physically can!! GOOD luck and let me know how everything is going!!
mackfactor
mackfactor
United States
2003/02/13, 05:20 PM
Well, I'm glad to see I'm welcome. I just came back to check up on this thread.
As far as sleep - the metabolic function that takes place during sleep is far different than while you're awake. Sleep is kind of like recharging for a battery, or maintenence on a computer. Your growth hormone levels are never higher than in late stages of sleep. GH is crucial to the production of muscle.
As for your trainer, lalababy, I've found that more often then not you don't want to follow the training of high-level pro bodybuilders. Why, you ask? Because to reach that level you need to have extraordinary genetics or take a ton of steroids, but generally both. I'm not saying that you're trainer got his gains on steroids, but keep the possibility in mind. For those as gifted as your trainer sounds to be, any type of workout packs on muscle. The conventional rep scheme (<6 = strength, 8-12 = hypertrophy, 15+ = endurance) has stood the test of time because it is usually applicable, particularly to those with less than several years experience. High-reps will cause your body to do more work without sufficient overload, leading you to burn more calories, but have less neural and metabolic stimulation. When presented with intensity versus volume, most all reknowned trainers will err on the side of intensity.
Jacqueline, given the fact that you're female and 38 years old, I would advise against training body parts twice a week unless you half the volume as well. I'm including a link to a workout that's designed for gaining for older males (over 45ish), but would be optimal for you even though you're young since you're female and somewhat of a novice. The two links are phase one and phase two.

http://www.testosterone.net/nation_articles/236sen.jsp
http://www.testosterone.net/nation_articles/244sen.jsp

--------------
"Don't follow leaders and watch your parking meters!"
-- Bob Dylan
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2003/02/16, 05:45 PM
in my many of readings of books and advice is that rest builds muscle, that the weight is a tool not what makes u bigger. when i started working out i did a 4 day a week as intese and as heavy as i could go . then i went to the 5 day a week work out with only rest on the week ends. another thing u have to reamemeber u only been working out for 1 1/2 months i'm in my 3rd year and i still am seeing things.. genetics may not alow u to gain much weight ..i'm always gonna be big and bulky just by the way i'm built.

hang with it and try new things every one is different i knwo i am i'm on a 3 day work out week..........i'm stronger than what i was doing the 5 day a week all because of rest........i finally broke the 18 in mark on my biceps
try new things and listen to ur body