Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Breakfast or not

cjaygirl
cjaygirl
Canada
2003/01/05, 12:04 PM
Okay I am really confused. I keep reading that it is so important to have breakfast as it gives you energy you need in the morning and it helps you to eat less throughout the day. But . . . now I have been reading that it is best to do your cardio training in the morning on an empty stomach. So what it is the deal, should I eat breakfast before going to the gym or not??? Help.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/05, 12:24 PM
Definition of breakfast- first meal of the day, you are actually breaking the fast from which your state your body was in overnight. Before doing your cardio in the am you should have at least a protien shake just to get your system going and after the cardio or training, then have your postmeal. The reason for not eating before is because we want to burn the energy (fat/carbs) that is stored in our bodies and not use what was just consumed. Hope this helps.

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/01/05, 01:07 PM
There are different schools of thought on this one. some seem to think that if you do cardio on an empty stomach, you force your body to tap into fatty acid stores for energy, thus burning more fat. On the other hand, some think that you will tap into muscle stores instead long before you get to fat. I think it also depends on the avaiability of fat tissue. The leaner you are, the easier it will go to muscle tissue, but the more fattys stores you have, it is not an issue. Now if you are leaner, I happen to believe your body will get to muscle tissue for needed aminos long before it gets to fat. I know in my contest training, preservation of muscle tissue is a must. Being in a very lean state already, I believe this is the best way, if you do amino acids, take them during your cardio. This can go a long ways toward to preserving muscle mass and fooling your body into burning fat for energy. Eat your breakfast(post workout meal),immediately following.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/01/05, 10:48 PM
I think that the whole answer depends on how your body functions. I have problems with hypoglycemia, and I simply would not survive a workout without food in me. Pay attention to what feels good for you, but make good food choices whenever you decide to eat.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
Philia2
Philia2
France
2003/01/06, 02:06 AM
Effalunt gave you the very best answer; listen to yourself and your body!! Everybody is different and if you feel too hungry or too weak by doing cardio on an empty stomach then grap some fruit or a protein shake before (nothing that will feel "heavy" in your tummy).

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/01/06, 01:45 PM
My husband (what a great guy) gets up every morning and makes my oatmeal for me then off to the gym we go. Before I met him I never ate breakfast but I can now say that it is the best for me. Gives me that energy I need to complete those heavy hard workouts that he has me do.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/01/06, 06:31 PM
If you are used to training with some calories in you, it is very hard to start training on an empty stomach. I do this pre contest, and the first week or so it is a killer. But I adjust, and usually end up 5-6 weeks training on an empty stomach. But this is the ONLY time I would ever dream of training this way. You will have to try both ways, listen to your body, and do what it tells you. If you are not training pre contest, I would at least probably have a MRP, maybe half before and half after. You will still burn calories, your losses will just be a tad slower. If you do train on an empty stomach, as I posted above, think about some aminos while training to preserve lean tissue. Good luck. And to Sandysford, your husband sure must be great guy!!

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/01/07, 12:52 AM
He is and thank you BB1fit

--------------
I will lift my own weight someday!!!!!