Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

for the girls...

ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/11/30, 07:26 PM
Have any of you finished the 12 week mass work-out ? Just wondering what the results have been for other females at FT.
I am in week 4. The work-outs are tough going to 4 reps on the last exercise. I am out of the gym quicker than I am used two so I have time to hit my bum and abs!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/12/01, 05:44 AM
Oh, don't know about any results for women doing the 12 week mass work out, but I can tell you that my husband is doing the same program. He's now in week 10, and he has never ever looked better than today. He has always been big, but now he's huuuge.
Don't know if it'll get excactly the same results on women. You'll probably don't get all the muscle mass but definitely get stronger. How do you feel? Seen any changes yet? (watch your joints though)
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/12/01, 08:09 AM
I broke through a few long time weight plateaus yesterday. My bent row I added 5 pounds. 3 additinal pullups (I am weak on this so its a big gain) and my barbell curl I have added 10 pounds. At this point I look the same but one of my jackets seemed a bit tighter in the lats and shoulders.I want to add a little muscle. I need more muscle in my legs but my low back is hindering me. Squating has aggrevated a low back problem so I had to drop my weight dramatically. I don't think I will ever be able to squat heavy again. I started using a (horizonal) leg press. (it stresses my knee joints so I think I need a new one.) Deadlifts same problem! Maybe you have a few suggestions for my leg work out.
I have incresed my glucosomine to help with the joints.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/12/01, 08:29 AM
What about doing lunges with the Smith machine? (if you got that one at home). It's nicer to your lower back and with the leading of the Smith machine you can take very heavy concentrating on your legs and not how to keep the balance. This will give you great muscle mass. (if you haven't got that machine then use a barbell, but instead of putting it on your shoulders hold in in between your legs).
The leg press is good, but I have never seen anybody grow big leg muscles only using that one.
I have never tried glocosomine (actually I don't have big experience in supplements) My joints ache sometimes too, so I guess it should be a good idea to give it a try.
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/12/01, 09:11 AM
Hey guys, Ltroisi and Phila
Question pops up....I don't want to get bulky -wear a size 4- but definitely want definition so is my best bet to do lower weights but as many as I can? I do hope cardio and exercises for the area of my waist and abs will reduce those areas if I concentrate on it and do it alot. Most 4's I can wear but some things -depends on the make- is a little tight in gut/waist area so you then feel like a pig. I just got a new book -like I needed to do with no job- but its "Sculpting her body Perfect". I read on one thing about doing lat machine pulldowns to concentrate on your lats -actually all exercies - the mind to muscle link, and I realized when I pull down I feel it more in my arms than in my lats at all. SO, Im going to give it a try - so now I feel like I've done them wrong this whole time. (Makes me wanna run to the gym to figure it out) To me it sounds like that pat your head and rub your tummy thing. Half the time I know I don't breath right exercising - stuff to get..use to! HAPPY DECEMBER....24 MORE SHOPPING DAYS.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/12/01, 09:51 AM
I cannot say it often enough (and my clients are driving me nuts too) DON'T EVER BE AFRAID OF TAKING HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Geez, if you just stick to those small red dumbells and do hundreds of stupid reps, then how do you ever want to shape those muscles?!!!!!! The only stupid thing you'll do is to stress your joints and end up of getting tired doing nothing.....
We women don't just bulk up (not enough testerone). and to gain big muscles you have to work for years (and a lot differently) so plllleeeeeeeaaaaaasssse stop saying that nonsense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/12/01, 10:03 AM
I'm sorry of getting all excited here, but this "I don't want to get bulky" myth is one of the main reasons why it's soooo difficult for me here to make the French women do some weight training. Trust me wogirl, if women get bulky, it's more because of fat than muscles....
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/12/01, 12:49 PM
Lets dispell this "I don't want to get bulky" myth. Phila and I have discussed this before. Look at our profiles. Do we look bulky? I have gained 15 ponds in 15 years. Mostly muscle. I look better now at 40 than I did at 25 ! My waist stays around 24". Not bad based on the fact it was 23" when I was 15 pds lighter and was not lifting weights. My body is more balanced from upper to lower too. SOOO hit the weights (or go home OOOHHH just joking!) If you bulk up from muscle come back here and harass us!!!!!
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2001/12/01, 04:32 PM
you girls are soo right.I tried to get a gfriend to do a program with me on FT but they think weight training is for men only....DUH... so as it stands I do my weight lifting with my husband and I will show them that Im not going to look like Arnold Shwrtzngr after finishing my 12 weeks....its kinda funny really...
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/12/01, 05:51 PM
Good for you...let us know at the end of your 12 weeks!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/12/02, 03:04 AM
Merci Troisi!
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/12/02, 07:11 PM
Ok Alright...I just remember reading one of Ltrosi post about her jacket getting tight..or something..:o)
So silly me! Im going to eventually try the FT fitness program - maybe after a few more months training in with the weights. I'v been doing on and off a year...meaning going a year but switching from a muscle pump class at the gym to working at the weights. I am currently for example, doing 3 reps of 10-15 for about 12 different exercises on my arms. By the end...bicep curl - its all I can do to lift a 10 pd dumbell. (Drives me nutts but if I went any heavier - I would barely make it to 8.) Im not sure if I can do what FT has in store for me with program I selected. And..have you girls finished your xmas shopping?
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/12/02, 07:48 PM
WOW 12 exercises for your arms. We need to talk about that!
In one session????????
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/12/02, 09:50 PM
The gym I go to - yeah - the Personal Trainer made up a card for me with 12 exercises to do on my arms (it normally takes about an hour and 15-20 minutes (really not waiting - maybe a rest for a few here and there) But the order goes:
Dumbell benchpress, dumbell flyes, weight resisted dips, then weight resisted chin ups, seated row, front lat pulldowns,seated dumb bell press for shoulders, upright row, tricep pushdowns,two arm overhead dumbell extensions, preacher curl, bicep curls! Then Im to do the ab machine and some twist torso thing (cant think of the name of it)
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/12/02, 07:50 PM
the tighter jacket was in my shoulders and traps that is GOOD! Its muscle not fat and that increases your metobolism which I need. I am competing too.
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/12/02, 09:52 PM
Oh - which for me would be good too..slims the waist! Although I'll get there..with changing my diet and more cardio. (Got the vitamens from GNC!) I left my schedule of arm workout for ya!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/12/03, 04:58 AM
12 exercises not only for the arms, but where you are ALSO using the arms lol Okey WOGirl keep continueing the good job.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/12/03, 07:09 AM
I see, all upper body execises! I thought you meant all arm
(like bicep) exercises! Actually that is good the way it is. I generally work on a split system (push / pull)
1. chest with shoukders and triceps
2. back and biceps
3. legs and calves
fit abs and bum in 3 times aweek
I change exercises every 4-6 weeks
Nikkles
Nikkles
Canada
2001/12/03, 12:23 PM
Wow.. I've only just started weights... so you all are way ahead of me in lifting heavier weights! A couple of questions, what's a good chest toner? (since I'm losing weight, my bust is like "dropping"!) Also what's a good exercise for that flabby bit on the back of the arms (underneath)? I'm slowly getting there, its going to take me awhile... I have one of the slowest metabolism on this planet, I'm sure of it! But this time, I "want" to get healthy and toned!

Keep up the good work everyone... it keeps me motivated too!

Nicole
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2001/12/03, 01:21 PM
Nicole,
For your chest, I would recommend doing a butterfly press.(pec deck) That will exercise your pectoral muscles to help firm up the breast area. For the back of your arms, try the tricep dips behind the back. Sit on a bench, then scoot forward off of it, with your arms behind you. Raise and lower your body with your arms. That will tone you up quick!
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/12/03, 10:15 PM
You know...something i did a few winters back was take a kick boxing class (not the cardio kick boxing done at some gyms..) - a real kick boxing class which not only...kicks "butt" but really, I wasn't working out at all and man did I notice changes in my arms! The key I think was working out with someone a little stronger than you. When you hold those punch pads and your partner is hitting them as you hold them...it is a definite work out! That was just part of it! Just if you ever get the chance...try it!
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2001/12/03, 10:42 PM
That part of the arm your speaking about... I call it bye bye arms... when you wave bye bye..so does the bottom part of your arms...lol wretched things...
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/12/03, 10:11 PM
Ok got a giggle on that - you know mispelling "thang" you did Ltrosi....you have fit abs....and bum in....Is that like bum out? Or bummed? Tee hee
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/12/03, 10:43 PM
Bum is a nice word for "butt" "buttock" "behind" I have a funny word for cellulite too. I have a twin sister and we
have a lot of words we made up over the years. Our own language so to speak. We confuse people but we know what we are talking about!
To Nikkles..I have the slowest metabolism in the world so you can't. That came from years of low calorie diets while in my teens and 20's. I have been able to increase it by putting on muscle but its still slower than average! So take heart and keep going!!!!
Nikkles
Nikkles
Canada
2001/12/03, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the info on the exercises!

Itroisi, yeh I know about the bad diet fads.. been there too.. done the yo-yo dieting, gained weight, lost weight.. gained.. then kept it on! Thats why I am here, to lose it the right way and hopefully keep it off! =)
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/12/04, 07:02 AM
Good for you. If you need help just post it and we will encourage you!
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/12/05, 07:17 AM
ltrosi: The fitness training (certification) that you took, was it expensive? I'm interested but if its costly, may have to wait. Just to learn by it not teach. I just found out I've been doing the lat pulldown wrong. Pulling down with my forearms and biceps. Some exercises are HARD to understand when working a muscle you are unfamilar with. I know, (from carrying a purse on my shoulder, I think) that in between my shoulders...will ...like pop every now and then and Im sort of afraid I will make that area worse trying to do the lats that way. I tried light wt yesterday and could sorta feel it in that area. The last I want to do is hurt something and put my self out of commission! You know, when you go to a gym...the people (some) that work there - really don't always tell you the little details of some machines! Gotta learn that on your own or ask around! Get better info!
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/12/05, 10:40 PM
There are alot of great sources to learn proper ways to do exercises. Global-Fitness.com has online video library (but membership required.) I think they allow a few examples free. There are probably other I don't know about too.
Check out issaonline.com for the cost of certification.
Good luck.
workingoutgirl
workingoutgirl
United States
2001/12/06, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the info. Hope all is going great for you and if I don't talk at you here..HOPE you have a great holiday season!
spanishgirl
spanishgirl
United States
2001/12/09, 10:51 PM
Same here! I had to adjust to cutting down..I just increased the weight so that I felt like I worked really hard. I am now on the 12 weeker for the second time...and I really did see results after the first round. That is when I started getting complimented..and I was asked what kind of program I was following.
Let us all know your results...
Good Luck!
sg
spanishgirl
spanishgirl
United States
2002/02/06, 12:18 AM
Yuppp..Im on my 2nd go 'round...and I love the program....the workouts generally go quicker...but are tougher!!!!

Keep it up and Good Luck!

sg
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/07/07, 08:41 PM
There was an article relating to women buling up in this months issue of Oxygen. It pretty much said that women are not genetically built to get bulking unless they take hormone supplements. I think that this was well said for those who are afraid to lift every weights. You need to challege your muscles by stimulating them not by doing 100 reps to tone your muscles.

--------------
Lisa
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/07/08, 02:38 AM
Lisa, thanks for bumping this old post.
Good for peeps to read.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....