Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Joint grief

Spaceboy
Spaceboy
United States
2003/02/04, 10:14 PM
Recently I have been having pain deep in my shoulders. It comes after working my pecs/delts. I'm thinking it could be either a rotator cuff injury or just weak joints (I'm new at this whole workout thing). Is this common for newbies? Also, I have very limited movement in my right ankle due to a serious fracure suffered a few years ago. When I work my calves I really only feel a "burn" in my left calf. I have very little soreness in my right calf the day after, therefore I fear the muscle isn't going to benefit from the workout. Any suggestions?
davidov
davidov
Canada
2003/02/05, 10:55 PM
On the shoulder thing, I've experienced something similiar to what you said. I used to get it when doing Arnold press for shoulders and incline bench press for my chest. It would hurt the next day usually and sometimes for a bit longer. What I did was I cut out the Arnold presses and did my inlcline bench on a smyth machine. Now, doing incline bench im fine but I still get soreness when I do my arnold's. I hope that helps.
davidov
davidov
Canada
2003/02/05, 10:57 PM
p.s. I meant in the last part that now doing incline bench press I get no pain. I'd say that you're probably right and it's probably common for newbies because I was one when it happened to me.
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2003/02/07, 02:41 AM
spaceboy, since you are fairly new at this, i would really suggest that you read up on how to accurately perform the exercises, in your personalized programs where it tells you what exercise to perform, there is a link off to the right of that "description" click on that and read how to do each one. Most exercises have photos with them, but if they don't and you are still not sure, drop a post and ask someone, i am sure we will be able to help you. Hope the shoulder gets better. good luck!

--------------
Bettia.... You are nothing less than Beautiful in my eyes.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/02/07, 12:26 PM
Spaceboy, It sounds like your rotator cuff muscles are irritated. Any overhead press, incline press or flye movement requires a lot of shoulder stability. Go down on your weight and have someone knowledgable check your form. A lot of people tend to lower the weight too far (to get that strech at the bottom) this is stressful on your shoulder joint and it's surrounding structure.
Rotator cuff muscles respond fairly quickly to rehab exercises - you can ask a trainer or do a little research into the exercises as it would take a lot of space to describe them all. i know that Natural Bodybuilding and fitness recently had a good article on shoulder saving exercises, and in the past Muscle and fitness has had some articles on it. Any decent trainer should be able to show you how to work your ineer and outer rotator cuff muscles - just remember - you are working stabilizers - small muscles, so do it after everything else and put your ego away - your shoulders integrity is more important than looking macho, use light weight when you start.
When you do pressing movements, try to keep the dumb bells or bar just in front of your shoulder joint, you should be able to see them out of the corner of your eye. When doing a flat pressing movement think about lowering the bar to a fists width above your chest and press slightly towards your feet on the way up - this takes a lot of pressure off of your rotator cuff muscles and your bench may actually go up to boot.
A good rule of thumb is that you don't want your elbows to go too far behind/below your shoulder level when pressing, this will probably get a big response out there because so many people like to go as low as they can, but I studied kinesiology and biomechanics and my best instructor was a chiropractor. Not that I know everything, just that good form can save you a lot of pain and trouble down the line.
Good Luck!