Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Pulled Rhomboid Muscle

dsarco
dsarco
United States
2002/08/14, 04:37 PM
I pulled a muscle in my back about a month ago. I believe the it was the rhomboid muscle (the muscle that connects to your spine in the mid section of your back). I took a couple of weeks off and have been stretching my back ever since its been healed enough to stretch. My back feels about 75%, but I still continue to get tingles and dull pains every now and then. I've pulled muscles before but they have never taken this long to heal. It kind of feels like I have knots in my back.

I guess my question is, has anybody else experienced anything simalar as far as back injury's and what did you do to get it to 100%. I've read in some posts that massage therapy has helped some people with muscle's locking up and other muscles problems. I have an appointment tommorow with a massage therapist. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

----------------------------
Anything can be done
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/08/14, 04:57 PM
I hurt my lower back about 5 years ago. I was moving an old mattress and tried to take it from my left side and put it in a corner to my right. I felt nothing till the next morning. Then I got muscle spasms and the end result is that I had to take it easy for 4 months. I am not saying that this is how long you will have but take it easy and really let it heal. I think the massage is a good thing my brother is one and when I go home I always get one.

--------------
Life comes by only once....Live it to the fullest!
Sempai
Sempai
Canada
2002/08/14, 07:50 PM
Man don't mess around with a back injury if it does'nt heal properly it may be a problem that last a long time. The tingling or numbness can be caused by the enflamed muscle tissue putting pressure on the nerves. Before your massage make sure they know you have an injury not just a tight back with knots.

--------------
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember the ark was built by amateurs, The Titanic was built by professionals.
dsarco
dsarco
United States
2002/08/23, 11:45 AM
Update: I have had two massages sessions since I last wrote. They have definitaly helped get my back looser and get blood flowing to that area. I have seen good progress in my recovery with this therapy. I went to the doctor yesterday (finally) I she gave me some muscle relaxers and some anti-inflamatory medication. I have also started doing yoga to try and prevent this type of thing from happening in the future.

--------------
Anything can be done
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/08/24, 01:30 AM
She also showed you have to do all the necessairy stretching to avoid stiffness again?
Now the rhomboid is a very specific muscle almost completely covered by the trapezius so you'll need to stretch the whole back from both sides (and the neck!) to touch the muscle....

I'm glad that the massage helped. Good for you and thanks for telling us!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
yewie
yewie
Canada
2008/04/16, 09:05 AM
I have also hurt my Rhomboid and am now in Physio. I have the burning, pain and soreness that goes with it and spend a lot of time either icing or on my heating pad. Seems like an uphill battle with this one, looks like it's going to take a long time to heal.
vinny186
vinny186
United States
2008/04/28, 02:31 PM
If the massage helped, then it should be safe use a foam roller with a solid core.