Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Trapezoid Seizing up

Bnoble
Bnoble
United States
2002/07/26, 04:36 PM
I'm sure this has been covered before, but I haven't found anything.

My left Trap is locking up...restricting my neck movement, and causing enourmous amounts of pain.

The real downside, is that I've had to stop lifting for about a week now.

I think most of it is stress related..coupled with weights, it's getting aggravated. I've taken some measures to relieve the stressors...Ejected problematic girlfriend..laid the law down on a couple things at work. I've gotten some relief there. I no longer have standing pain, but my neck movement is still restricted by a few degrees. I'd say I'm at 85%.

I guess my question is: how long should I let a major muscle group like that rest relatively inactive.

Until the pain is completely gone? Or, can I start now gradually?

I really hate the idea making it worse by starting too soon, but my sanity in large part is dependant on working out. (it's a tool I use)

----------------------------
"When going through hell......DON'T STOP"
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2002/07/26, 04:41 PM
What kind of pain a sharp stabbing pain or a dull acheing throbbing kind? The sharp kind I have found to be something really wrong. If the pain is still there so not lift and go to a doc!!! Better to take 2 weeks or more off than to have to take longer or have surgry.

--------------
"When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout" LIFT HARD AND OFTEN!!!!!!
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/07/26, 04:44 PM
Lol! Hey man, welcome. I remember having tightness in my neck from stress not too long ago. I began working through it when the worst part was past. If you aren't experiencing much discomforture now, I would tryt easing back into it. Let pain guide you.

--------------
Ischjli
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." -- T. S. Elliot
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/07/26, 04:45 PM
Sounds like a bad muscle strain. Try going lighter on the weights until it is 100%.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
Bnoble
Bnoble
United States
2002/07/26, 04:51 PM
Thanks so much for the advice, I did go to a Chiro to have it checked out. She said it was definatly muscular, but was more interested in getting me to come in for regular back adjustments, than actualy being helpful. No I know why Chiro gets such a bad rap.

Anyhow. I think I'll go with the "Let the pain guide you" advice. I was kinda leaning that way.

Thanks again :)

--------------
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/07/27, 02:22 AM
No you need more than just rest, you need to stretch, massage and heat!! The very best thing would be a sauna (if you got that at your gym) or a spa.

By keeping the pain, you'll keep the problem. To protect yourself you'll automatically keep contracting your trapezius/neck area and by doing this you'll keep all the "locked acids" inside your muscles. You need to get that out!
Just be aware that by stretching, massaging and with heat don't be surprised if it actually hurt more just AFTER than before. The acids are now out and in your blood. It takes a little time before your body will get rid of it, but trust me, after you'll feel ten times better!

--------------
- Nina :o) Vous êtes tous magnifiques!
Bnoble
Bnoble
United States
2002/07/30, 08:09 AM
My gym does have sauna/steam room facilities. It just so happens I've been looking for an excuse to use them. Thanks for the suggestion phila.

I worked out friday, and gave myself the weekend to see what I felt like. So far so good. Pain still there, but tolerable.

None of that Jerk-you-straight-up-outa-your chair stuff I was getting before.

I think with some patience it'll work itself out.

I was just reflecting: This is really a wonderful problem to have, as compared to some others I could, and have had.

If this is the biggest obstacle I'm faced with today, I'm in really good shape.....lol

--------------
Bnoble
Bnoble
United States
2002/08/12, 04:40 PM
Update on the Trap in case anyone is interested:

I started lifting again, and it immediatly acted up. Needless to say, I was really worried. Next I started to experience some numbness in my left arm and hand.

I was really beginning to obsess on this thing, and fear began to dominate my thinking on the subject.

My initial solution: creative distraction (sex) ...lol. Turns out that wasn't effective either. Got my mind off it for awhile, but pain returned immediatly.

The solution that worked: Just so happens the woman I was cat'n around with, had a friend that was a licensed massage therapist. After a grueling hour of having "knots" worked out, and some suggestions on stretching in the future I am happy to report that I am good to go.

Started lifting a couple days ago, solid, no tinglies in the arms, no pain - other than the type I'm going after, and I have learned quite a bit about how my body works.

If you are experiencing bizarre muscle behavoir, you may want to give it a try (massage therapist)

Recap:

Chiroprator (didn't work)
Medication (advil, aspirin) (didn't work)
Stress relief (Personality conflict at work resolved, Sex) (partially effective)
Massage Therapist (Effective)
Water (I don't know if it helped or not, but I increased my intake)

Ya'll have a nice day!!!
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/08/12, 04:49 PM
Cool bnoble. I want to thank you for a very cool post. I appreciate the way you took us through your dilemma from start to finish. It is refreshing to actually hear back from someone after they ask for suggestions, as to how things turned out.

Glad you are well. Sorry the sex didn't work better it would be nice to have another excuse for needing it!

Oh! My trap siezed up again honey, quick come over here and give me a hand.
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2002/08/12, 07:13 PM
bnoble, glad to hear you are doing better. And you posted a pic, I love when people post pics!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/08/13, 02:30 AM
All the best luck to you bnoble and yes thanks a lot for sharing with us!

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.