Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Donkey calf raises

smthomas
smthomas
United States
2003/01/06, 02:00 PM
My gym doesn't have a donkey calf machine and I haven't been able to find a good description of the exercise. Could someone please describe it to me? They do have one of those calf raise machines where you stand up and raise the weight from your shoulder, but I get these red lines on my shoulders from it that take a week or so to go away and they look bad. Or does anyone know of some alternate calf exercises (for mass).
sandysford
sandysford
United States
2003/01/06, 02:02 PM
Duh to me, what are donkey calf raises???????
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2003/01/06, 02:16 PM
Here ya go:

http://freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/ExerciseDescription.jsp?e_name=Donkey_Calf_Raises

. This movement is performed with a donkey calf raise machine. You will find many variations of this at you gym or health club, please choose the one which is a completely vertical one.
2. Stand with your feet directly on the block or platform provided. Your toes should be on the platform facing forward. bend at your waist and position yourself as to have the platform under your lower back region.
3. Now, keeping your head forward or up bend your knees slightly. Lower your heels below the height of the platform. Feel the stretch in your calves. Pause, then come up on your toes as high as possible, contracting the calf muscles. Lock your kness.
4. Slowly lower your heels back down to the starting position and repeat the movement.
Helpfull Hint:
This is a great movement for adding thickness to your calf development. This exercise can also be performed by having someone sit on your lower back as you are bent over.. providing the necessary weight to train the calves. It is possible to target both inner and outer calves by simply by changing your foot direction. For variation, point your heels in or out. It is important to remember to get a full stretch at the bottom and complete contraction of the calves at the top. Also for advanced people, when you feel that you are reaching failure.. keep repping until you finally fail, even if they happen to be partial rep.
live_wire133
live_wire133
United States
2006/08/23, 01:06 PM
OK - what happens if you don't have a calf raise machine...I'm deployed in Iraq and there is minimal equipment here. Thanks for your help.
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/23, 01:21 PM
I hold free weights in my hands when I do the calf raises.

Completely off-topic....thank you for what you do...and Godspeed coming home.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/08/23, 01:32 PM
live....You can bend over on a bench...an dput somthing under your toes, and somone sit on your back. Arnold used to do them like that.

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/08/24, 12:00 AM
The advantage that a donkey calf raise has over a regular calf raise is that it puts the gastrocnemius in a stretched state (the calf muscles being the tightest wound muscles in the body).

So if you can duplicate this stretch, then you are in essence duplicating a donkey calf raise.

Doing calf raises on a sled (leg press) with a pause at the bottom position will work excellent as a substitute.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
slowmofo
slowmofo
United States
2008/11/04, 09:26 PM
thanks wrestler! I will try this I also saw a vid on youtube of a guy strapping himself to the smith