Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Sore Sore Sore!

MDFire
MDFire
United States
2010/01/07, 08:13 AM
So on Tuesday I did my first workout made through the free trainers exercise generator thingy. It was a good workout (home based, no weights or machines) and I felt satisfied after doing it. However, I think that maybe I pushed myself a little too much. My legs were a little stiff after doing squats and I made sure to stretch. After finishing I had a protein shake and a healthy dinner. Yesterday I was pretty sore and today is slightly worse.

What is the best way to combat soreness outside of doing fewer reps? Should I do a light workout while sore to stretch out my muscles? Just do some cardio instead? Is this just a symptom of getting a decent workout for the first time in years? Pretty much everything but my neck, back, and calves is sore.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2010/01/07, 10:48 AM
Try a light workout. Actually 'movement' of the muscle in question is a good remedy. Be very careful not to get carried away, as is the tendency at the beginning. A light cardio will help, as it will get some blood flowing to the affected areas.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

Davetheman26
Davetheman26
United States
2010/01/08, 04:18 AM
I always loved that soreness. yeah, just work another muscle group. I think when I do most exercises involving upper body it's the shoulders that take most of the stress. Yeah it's natural for those legs to feel stiff after squats mine always feel stiff after .,.. after a few hours back to new.. unless it's been a month.. then it could be from anywhere to a day to 2 days..
INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2010/01/10, 09:34 PM
makes me remember the ole say-n, no pain - no gain'

--------------
"Get everthing you want--just make a little change now"
"The thing you have to realize is that you have to work for it,"
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2010/01/11, 11:45 AM
Soreness can be 'alarming' to those who have never experienced it. But it is nothing, and after a while you learn to 'appreciate' it.

One does need to distinguish the difference between 'good' muscle soreness and pain.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

phroz3n
phroz3n
United States
2010/01/20, 10:29 AM
The best and, really, only way to combat soreness is to stretch the muscles you used really well after your workout. It takes only about 10min to do a good set of stretches. Lactic acid builds up in your body due to lack of oxygen in your muscles, and if you stretch your muscles well after workout, then you reduce the amount of lactic acid build up.

Not only that, but you will increase the flexibility and speed of the muscle groups. Hope this helps.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2010/01/20, 01:20 PM
I am sorry but increase the speed? You are given only so many fast and slow twitch fibers......No way to increase that. And truthfully stretching is overrated. The best way to combat the soreness is like BB1 stated.active recovery or a light workout using that area affected.

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com