Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

maintaining muscle

BRETTO
BRETTO
United States
2002/07/11, 12:54 PM
How hard is it to keep a muscular phisique once you have reach your goal? I know the answer to this varies enormously with each person, but, as an example: a friend of mine built himself up to lookig really good. Then I saw him approx. 2 years later and he looked really fat. I don't think he suddenly started laying on the couch all day eating pork rinds; I think he just stopped lifting weights. Do I have to continue to lift weights for the rest of my life just to maintain any muscle mass I've gained?
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/07/11, 01:07 PM
LOL Take a look at your friend. Seriously though, it depends what you want to be physically. It's a lifestyle that grows on you if you stick with it long enough. I've been doing this for over 30 yrs and don't plan on stopping anytime soon.
ischjli
ischjli
United States
2002/07/11, 01:42 PM
Bretto, honestly I would have to say it IS hard. Fortunately, if you like it then it may seem less like work and more like recreation or a way to unwind... However, if you stop and let your diet go, expect it to show. That's the way it is.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/07/12, 02:43 AM
Oooooooh I'll tell you the right answer to this "muscles turning into fat" question!!!!!

Again it's all a question about metabolism. When you have more lean muscle mass, you burn a lot more calories (so you have to eat a lot more just to KEEP your muscles) Now when you stop weight lifting, you'll -after a time, start to loose this lovely lean muscle mass and of course your metabolism will drop down. Right?!!!! Okey, now this person really enjoys eating all those calories day after day and he just keeps doing that. BUT (and that's the tricky part!) since his body can no longer burn all those calories, what will happen? Well, he'll put on fat!!

So, that's actually one of the reasons why former BB's often are fat...... They like to eat too much.... (then you got other chemical reasons but that's another story...)

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
jnellie
jnellie
United States
2002/07/12, 07:39 PM
great post nina