Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

Hey youngsters, help me with Ipod

2009/06/05, 12:05 AM
I started in approximately in 1960 collecting 45 records. As I got older I started collecting albums. You chillren can ask your parents what albums are. By the time i returned from the navy, I had around 500 albums. This was about the time 8 tracks came out. About the only thing I ever saw an 8 track do regularly was eat tapes. my friends bought them, I passed.

Cassettes were next. I saw the value. They were small, reliable and playable both in car and home. I bought in. This was the first time I replaced my music collection.

I went through the same kind of thing when portable movies came out. The first format was laser disks. These things were huge and expensive and famous jamming in the player. I passed. Then along comes the video cassette player. There were 2 formats, beta and VHS. I luckily was working so hard then that I didn't get around to buying one until VHS won the battle. We accumulated about 900 movies.Owning my own movie was definitely one of the coolest things I could imagine....

until DVDs came down the pipe. SHIT!!!! Oh well, after years of resistance, I ended up with another 800 movie titles on DVD. We also recently added Blu ray to the mix but I simply refuse to do more than rent them. I can't tell the difference in aBlu Ray movie and a 1080 movie on my Direct TV.

That's all aside from the point of this very long question. I bought a sound system for the boat that has an IPOD dock. Dayumit, here we go again.

What will an IPOD do?
How do I put music on it?
Can I record my existing CD collection to it...easily?
How many songs can I put on one?
How will I find 1 song out of thousands on the IPOD?
Will the remote with the new sound system control the IPOD?
I understand that I'll have to download music to it.
Is this difficult for a computer moron?
How much will it cost to download a song?
Are old songs cheaper than new ones?
Is an IPOD waterproof?
What important question haven't I asked that I should?
What's the answer?

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2009/06/05, 06:47 AM
I can't help you.. I'm technically... challenged.. my 13 yo daughter handles all things in the ipod dept... but... those lst two questions... were hilarious!!

Maybe we could all get a lesson here...
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/06/05, 08:53 AM
What will an IPOD do? - iPods will hold thousands of songs... the more gigs.. the more songs

How do I put music on it? - you need to download iTunes (free) and rip your CD collection into it.

Can I record my existing CD collection to it...easily? it's easy, but can be time consuming if you have a slow PC

How many songs can I put on one? - see above.. thousands depending upon size

How will I find 1 song out of thousands on the IPOD? - you can do various methods of searching alphabetically by album, artist or title

Will the remote with the new sound system control the IPOD? - not sure, but I don't see why one couldn't

I understand that I'll have to download music to it.
Is this difficult for a computer moron? again, iTunes is needed and it's more or less user friendly

How much will it cost to download a song? - I believe songs can be 99 cents... never payed for a downloaded song

Are old songs cheaper than new ones? not sure

Is an IPOD waterproof? Nope. Ask anyone who left one in their pants and sent it to the laundry

What important question haven't I asked that I should? Well, for some, the thing they are most concerned about is colour. Go figure. Some iPods have video, but for the life of me I have no idea why you would want to watch a movie on such a small screen

What's the answer? seven
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/06/05, 09:09 AM
Yep if you have a slow PC it will take time to put your cd's on it but well worth it when nothing appeals on the fm or satellite bands. Sorry Tim, no am except for talk radio here.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/06/05, 09:11 AM
That's okay... I'm on FM.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/06/05, 09:14 AM
I thought it was FM when I listen to the show, it sounds AM-ish on my PC. Guess I don't read either.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/06/05, 09:15 AM
haha... ya, the quality will be different on a PC feed... some are super clear and some aren't.
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2009/06/05, 09:21 AM
my "feed" is super crappy.. real tinny... but reminds me of the am radio song by everclear...

PM me your radio station and times your on t... unless you want to advertise here on the forum
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/06/05, 09:29 AM
www.ckgy.com

2-6pm MST Monday to Friday.

--------------

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/06/05, 09:30 AM
I think the feeds depend upon the type of player a station uses. We have some AM stations in our group and their feed is almost FM quality.
2009/06/05, 09:53 AM
"How much will it cost to download a song? - I believe songs can be 99 cents... never payed for a downloaded song "

If they're 99cent's how do you not pay? If it's illegal, I like the ideabut I know I'll get caught.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2009/06/05, 10:32 AM
That's my luck too... I would get caught... limewire has a free download... but my daughter picked up a virus on her phone from a download. Easy fix since the phone is insured.. she says she learned if you use a download that alot of people have used... the odds are better it's safe... not sure though
2009/06/05, 10:54 AM
Yeah, That's another question I forgot. I read that alot of the download sights are loaded with viruses waiting to crash your computer or load spy ware into it. Which sights are safe?

So far, It sounds like ipod may be a good idea for me but I am worried about this issue in particular. I mean I can just sit on the boat and play my harmonica but I get tired of the blues.

--------------

Charlie
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/06/05, 11:42 AM
iTunes seems very secure and virus free. It's run by Apple, I believe and links and syncs with your iPod.

As for viruses... if you use a trusted site and have a good virus scanner (I use AVG free) you should be fine.

As for downloading, I've heard, now don't quote me on this, but I've heard that the downloading is not illegal. Making them available for download is.

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2009/06/05, 12:17 PM
Charlie,
If you have CDs you can easily transfer them to your computer and thus to an IPOD. The alternative is you can buy them on itunes for .99 a song or a few dollars an album.

The question to ask yourself is why an IPOD. The advantage that an IPOD has over any other MP3 player is that it allows the creation of "playlists" and allows you to organize your music, whereas most MP3 players will just play randomly. This is what you are paying for when you get an IPOD over an other player. This function can be really helpful if you listen to different genre's at different times, or listen to things like audiobooks, etc. I got one because I listen to probably 4-7 audiobooks a week and hearing them out of order just didn't make sense.

Figure out what features you are willing to get, and what you are willing to pay for them. If you just want something to play music, I'd suggest one of the Nanos. If you want it to organize your life, have full internet functionality, etc, get the Touch. There are lots of options in between.

Also, Microsoft has an option out called the Zune. Aside from being a marketing flop, supposedly it's a good player from what I hear. Might be cheaper, but you won't be able to use it with all the Ipod accessories (some cars are coming out with Ipod adapters now, etc.)

Tim,
The downloading is legal thing is a rumor. I've heard it before, and it stems from the fact that someone running a website is technically exempt from persecution if they aren't personally hosting or providing anything illegal, even if their members are. This doesn't mean the members are exempt as long as they aren't sharing... My second year in college (god I've been in school too long) one of my roommates got busted for downloading episodes of "House, MD", even though he wasn't sharing.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/06/05, 12:23 PM
Kinda what I thought... and House? Really?

--------------

2009/06/05, 01:07 PM
Thanks Steve. Boy this stuff is complicated. This is exactly the reason for my last two questions in the original post. I read my Blu Ray instruction and it seemed like gibberish to me.

What is a safe reputable download sight? I don't mind paying a reasonable fee. I have tried burning disks and found it difficult, sloppy and complicated. My puters are old though so that's probably why.

--------------

Charlie
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/06/05, 01:30 PM
I'm only familiar with iTunes. I believe they have the most of everything.. they are kinda like the Kleenex of the facial tissue industry.

--------------

2009/06/05, 02:44 PM
I am on my second ipod. When My husband purchased the first one for me I was not the most computer saavy. It is very easy to use. And if I am purchasing music I will only go to the Apple itunes sight. Most songs are .99 cents and full albums are around $10, they accept credit card payments on line, but if you are not comfortable with that most retailers now sell gift cards for preset spending and you will load that into your profile. itunes has such a huge selection of music that there is sure to be something for everyone.

If you are downloading your own cd's you can also be selective, you do not have to download the whole thing, if you only want 1 or 2 songs from it you just select them.

If you are going to use your ipod for workouts I would suggest a nano as it is small and doesn't get in the way, it will also work with your boat's dock.

You were worrying about possible viruses from Apple well it is very safe. Most viruses cannot atack Apple computers because they did not share their code. Hence Apple computers don't have the problems with viruses.

Good luck with the new toy and considering Apple is now on about Generation 10 of the ipod I don't think it is going away any time soon.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2009/06/05, 04:39 PM
Yea Tim, the Fox Broadcasting Corp is really on top of illegal downloads. Kinda funny when you think about it considering they offer the same program available for stream online.

As for reputable downloads, you're going to have to download Itunes in order to run your Ipod (or it will come provided). It's a free download, and once you have that running, I recommend using that for downloading any songs.

Fortunately for you, Charlie, Apple is really good at making things user friendly. Things are set up so that they are really easy to use.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/06/05, 05:06 PM
I tunes works good for me and I have a PC from 2003!
Charlie, easy fix is just toss it overboard!

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
2009/06/05, 06:36 PM
OK I don't have to have a Mac or Apple computer do I? I have an old laptop and an ancient PC. Both are microsoft.

--------------

Charlie
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/06/05, 06:42 PM
Nope.. no apples required...
2009/06/05, 06:56 PM
OK, thanks all.

--------------

Charlie