Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

how many days for those just starting?

mazzgolf
mazzgolf
United States
2002/06/09, 11:09 PM
How many days do you think beginners should work out? I've selected 3-days-a-week for my ft exercise schedule but would it be best to go 4 days? I think if I start doing 5 days, I probably would hurt myself since my body isn't used to the weightlifting yet.

When would you recommend that beginners move up to 4 or 5 days? After 8-weeks? 12-weeks? Longer?

I'm looking for recommendations based on the fact that I'm just starting and don't want to hurt myself (I keep reading that beginners should start slow) but I still want results and I'm not sure if sticking with a 3-day-a-week schedule will achieve results.
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/06/10, 12:54 AM
Well I worked out a little before I started out here but if you set yourself to a beginner the reps and exercises should be light enough to help you build up to using more weight/more advanced exercises... if your set to 'beginner' then pick a # of days that best suits your schedule.. also i'm not sure as i'm always set to 5 days.. but I think if you use a lower number of days then the days you do workout will be more intense as your still trying to cover your whole body (i think?) in only 3 days a week.... though i'm not sure about that.. i'm always set to 5...
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/06/10, 01:17 AM
Yeah, that's the way the programs I've seen work. If you select less days, you get more exercises a day. You end up doing the same amount of sets and exercises, it just depends on how many a day.

--------------
Practice does NOT make perfect. Perfect practice does.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/06/10, 02:14 AM
I'm definitely not a beginner to weight training (or fitness) and now I only lift weights three days a week. The problem was that I very easily over train but now forcing myself to rest I got a lot more gains than before.
It's all about intensity.

Choose what suits you.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/10, 10:58 AM
3 days per week should be fine. Once your body gets accustomed (a couple of months or so), you can change to 4 or 5 days, if you wish.

Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/06/10, 12:57 PM
I like the 4 days a week thing. I can get to the gym and lift for a solid hour. Going fewer days a week will cause me to be there too long. I also will feel unable to get a complete fresh work out for each muscle groups I am targeting. You have to adjust it to what you feel good doing, play around with it. GOOD LUCK

--------------
BQ
AMERICAN MADE