Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

But thats my Mothers Bum!

littlebitnorth
littlebitnorth
Canada
2009/04/05, 08:35 PM
I can't believe I really have my mothers bum! I remember being 14 years old and telling myself that if my butt ever looked like that I would kill myself. At the time I was 108lbs at 5'8" and thought my stomach hung out. Talk about Barbie issues! Here I am at 47 and I know my mom would have been slim compared to what I am. I feel like I've been hit with the karma stick. I have let myself go so bad and now medical issues force a reckoning. I'm to the point I hardly leave the yard even to be around family I'm so ashamed. So..my question is, if you have never been comfortable with yourself physically, how do you learn that? Is it ever possible?

--------------
\"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls\" George Carlin
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/04/06, 08:44 AM
I think it's possible. We just have to shift our way of thinking. At least that's one way. It isn't easy, but it's doable.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2009/04/06, 05:39 PM
You do not have to look like Barbie to be healthy. You can very well be fit and healthy for the body style you have. Not everyone is cut out to look that way.

Switch your diet immediately to a healthy diet. Cut out the junk . Start an exercise regimine. It does not have to be a bodybuilding workout.

Just start moving. Small steps. It is amazing what progress will do. You see progress, and you start to want to furhther it. When it becomes a lifestyle change, you are there!

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

2009/05/06, 04:30 PM
Anything is possible with a little bit of work.

My mother, who I use as my motivation, has been active as long as I can remember. I know that at one time she was out of shape, but she changed. I was always on the heavy side and mom wanting only what was best for her family tried to convince a kid to change (I am sure you know how that worked out). It wasn't until I was 38 that I realized what I was doing to my body. I couldn't go up a flight of stairs without having to stop to catch my breath. I didn't want to look in the mirror.

I started by walking my dog, he is still quite willing to exercise with me. I then convinced the hubby we needed a treadmill, I am still using it 5 years later. Then came the small incline bench and free weights.

The diet also changed, this was fairly easy as the husband is diabetic and you have to watch what you are eating.

I don't plan on ever being a body builder but it is nice to look in the mirror and see a shape that doesn't look like a beached whale.

Any step is a good step and nobody can be Barbie (she is an impossibility as a human) we can just be the best we can be.

Good luck. Make sure your doctor is on board with your program because of the OA. And remember everyone here is here to support you.:big_smile:

--------------
mad-mama in Edmonton