Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Question about sore muscles

pottsmallouf
pottsmallouf
United States
2002/04/29, 08:08 PM
I just started working out after a ten year layoff. Can someone give me advice for sore muscles after a workout? Never had this problem when I was in high school.
Thanks for any help
jnellie
jnellie
United States
2002/04/29, 08:14 PM
TAKE A WARM BATH WITH EPSOM SALT.....ALSO YOU SHOULD HAVE A PROTEIN SHAKE AFTER YOUR WORKOUT IT HELPS WITH YOUR RECOVERY I USE WHEY PROTEIN BANANA FLAVORED.........HOPE THIS HELPS JUST MY 2 CENTS..........
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/04/29, 10:42 PM
Thats the soreness you get from a long layoff.. I'm kind of used to it by now because I frequently stop for long peroids of time then jump back on.. Usually when I get that sore I just do a few stretches on the muscle and flex it around a few times.. should only happen to you the first few weeks... then the soreness from workouts is pretty bearable..
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/04/30, 01:32 AM
Drink enogh water and ask somebody to give you a massage.....

Slow cardio the next day can also help you to recuperate faster.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
pottsmallouf
pottsmallouf
United States
2002/04/30, 07:37 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. I did catch this on my internet homepage this morning. It might help for people that are experiencing the same soreness that I am.

Vitamin E Eases Aching Muscles

Weekend Warriors Get More Relief Than Seasoned Athletes
By Jeanie Davis

April 26, 2002 -- Vitamin E may help ease muscle aches after a tough workout, a new study suggests. Researchers believe that the antioxidant mops up the damaging byproducts created by a strenuous workout.

Here's what happens during your workout: As the body increases its use of oxygen, byproducts of oxygen metabolism -- called free radicals -- can do damage to muscle tissue. This damage can result in soreness and fatigue after strenuous exercise.

In fact, "that oxidative stress may increase with age," writes lead author Jennifer M. Sacheck, PhD, a researcher in the Antioxidant Research Laboratory at Tufts University in Boston.

Those who are already physically fit probably do not need to take a vitamin E supplement to ward off what little post-workout soreness they might feel, Sacheck says. However "'weekend warrior' types who are not always exercising on a regular basis may receive greater benefits to supplementation."

Sacheck presented her findings at the annual Experimental Biology 2002 conference this week.

Previous studies conducted by Sacheck's team had already revealed that vitamin E was capable of soaking up excess free radicals.

In their study, they had two groups of men -- one group ages 23 to 35, and older men between 66 and 78 -- take either a placebo or a 1,000 IU supplement of vitamin E every day for three months. They tested the athletes' soreness after a 45-minute downhill run at the beginning of the test -- before they had taken the vitamin E supplement -- and at the end of the three-month period.

"Muscle damage, oxidative stress and inflammation all still occurred following intense exercise," Sacheck says in a news release. "However, these responses (were) blunted in both young and older men" who took vitamin E.

Young men saw the most benefits in terms of reduced muscle soreness and damage, she says, but older men also benefited.

Whether women can get the same benefit is not clear, since circulating estrogens could reduce the potency of the antioxidant. However, "following menopause and the loss of extra estrogen, I would predict that older women would respond similarly to older men," she says.

While her study participants took a relatively high dose of vitamin E, Sacheck comments that the average person could probably get the same benefits from lower doses of between 200 to 400 IU per day.

pottsmallouf
pottsmallouf
United States
2002/04/30, 07:37 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
FitLilAlien
FitLilAlien
United States
2002/04/30, 04:30 PM
I just came back from about a year off, only working out here and there when I had the chance...and let me tell you..I am in PAIN! I agree jnellie, protein after your workout helps. I liek MetRx Berry blast because it is the best tasting..I drink half in the morning after my workout, and the other half in the afternoon or on my way home from work. Stretching helps as well..I am always stretching..and I love yoga! I find that starting my cardio slow, then going back to my normal speed after 10 minutes or so makes me feel alot better..as long as I cool down for a few in the end and stretch. Try some Tiger Balm as well. It doesn't burn like Icey Hot, I find a nice massage with it on my sore spots helps. :)