Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

personal training

conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2009/02/04, 07:51 PM
I've recently toyed with the idea of becoming a certified personal trainer. Not sure it would be something I'd want to do full-time yet though.

Did a little internet search and ran across MANY internet sites that offered courses to become certified. Are these any good. i mean, would this accredation be useful to me or would I be wasting my time??

And, by the way, it's been a VERY long time since I've visited the site. Hope to be around more often like I used to be!!!
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/02/05, 03:47 PM
Education is a sticky subject as far as trainers go.Some of the best trainers do not necessarily have a dozen certifications. Without a major certification, it may be hard for you to find work through a major gym. I'd say the most important thing is to have a really good working knowledge of all areas of physical fitness,dieting, and a generally open mind. Also a desire to continually educate yourself, and your clients. Don't just run them through the motions, explain why you are making them do what they're doing.
If you're gonna try freelance, it's gonna start off slow(trust me I know). I'd stick with the day job and moonlight as a trainer to begin with.
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2009/02/06, 05:17 PM
Plex, thanks for the response.

Moonlighting is exactly what I had in mind anyway!!!

I never even thought of being a personal trainer, but as I tried to educate myself to get better results from my own workouts, I found all the stuff I was reading very interesting.

Define "major" certification for me pelase :)
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2009/02/06, 07:52 PM
Investigate what gyms require for certification. The one I'm at wants some just to show you have the working knowledge. They also offer us dough to continue our eduction (cuz it doesn't stop after you're certified). For the most part, my understanding is, the certification is also for insurance. Gyms don't want to run the risk of having an uncertified trainer hurting someone no matter how much working knowledge they may have.

t

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2009/02/06, 10:02 PM
I want to get the certification just to have the knowledge!!! I'm the last guy that wants to be teasching someone the wrong way!!!!!!