Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

eating out alot

buffeyc22
buffeyc22
United States
2009/01/19, 09:07 PM
Hello my name is Buffey I work in EMS daily. Looking to loose weight while relieving some stress by increasing my exercise. Problem is I live in a truck all day and have to eat out alot due to lack of options. Any suggestions other than eating salads 5 days a week. Need to loose weight before I have to have my knees replaced from being to heavy. Im very motivated just need the right direction. :surprised:
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2009/01/19, 09:17 PM
Welcome to FreeTrainers. I see this is your first post. on the forum.

I have helped a couple police officers in the past with this same exact scenerio. All you need is a cooler. Precook a ton of healthy foods and pack them everyday. I know, easier said than done, right? If you're motivated enough, you can - and will - do it. Food selection is up to you. There are tons of suggestions in the "Specific Diets and Nutrition Discussion" area of the forum. Gas stations usually have a microwave. With you being involved with EMS, I don't think they'd have a problem with you using it if you needed to.

Good luck. There is a ton of awesome info on this site. Hope to see you around on the boards in the future.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
Tolman24
Tolman24
United States
2009/01/20, 05:57 PM
One of the biggest issues eating out is portion control. Almost every, if not every, meal you purchase is at least twicw the recommended calories for the average person. I also have to eat out a lot and I have started asking for a to-go box when they bring my food. I split it in half before my first bite. I still feel full when I finish my plate as it looks empty. When I box it up after eating, I still feel hungry because I see food. I also order the small chicken burger or smallest sandwich if going fast food, skip the fries. Ask to sub fruit or vegies for fries if it is on the menu. Take a look at the website Eat this, not that, or something similar. It gives some recommendations on healthier options. With that said packing you own food is by far the best option if you can make that work. Cheaper to. Good luck and don't give up.
Benrn2008
Benrn2008
United States
2009/01/23, 03:16 AM
So I'm not suppose to eat 1 large box of pizza by myself. Buffey, nurse here. Started the new years right. Figuired I didn't want to be a patient anytime soon.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2009/01/23, 08:05 AM
If you really don't have time to pre-cook meals,most restaurants, even fast food chains, have grilled chicken breast on the menu. Order it with extra veggies, toss out the crappy white bun if its a sandwich, and fill up on side salad with olive oil dressing.

Subway has some decent choices that are lower in saturated fats and you can pile on veggies.

Mickey D's has grilled chicken salads or grilled chicken sandwichs. So does BK.

Arby's has fresh sandwiches now..turkey, chicken, etc. Just order without mayo/sauce. Ask for mustard. Order on whole wheat.

Many chains are now offering apple slices, etc for side choices for kids meals - you can ask to sub these for your fries...or sub a salad.

Where there is a will, there is a way. You KNOW what choices are better than others, we all do reallly, you just have to be disciplined enough to make those choices.

--------------

The bravest are the tenderest. The loving are the daring.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

www.physicalfitnet.com/amy4training
shallu
shallu
India
2009/01/30, 01:52 AM
if i get tasty food then i eat more how to controll it and reduces my weight