Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Dumb beginner questions

Cypherwulf
Cypherwulf
United States
2002/04/03, 12:28 PM
I'm very new to exercising and wanted to know do I do all the sets at once then go on to the next routine?
Also, I have a bad diet but there's not anything I can do about it. I'm 16 and still live with my parents. My dad cooks and he's a meat and potatos guy so I don't get enough vegetables. We never have anything good for breakfast or lunch so I usually eat snack food from school or a microwave meal at home. Can I still get in shape without a decent diet?
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/03, 12:30 PM
It's going to be really difficult. Diet is really important.

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
quads123
quads123
Canada
2002/04/03, 01:22 PM
Hi ... there's no such thing as a "dumb question." You'd be surprised how many other people are wondering the same thing ...

Completely understand your diet dilemma ... I run into the same situation everytime I go home for a visit. Perhaps make the comment "Gee, some peas would be nice" or "a salad with this would be really great" to get some extra greens. Potatoes are great ... just try to avoid them mashed (lots of hidden fat from added butter and cream). Do you have a part time job? Allowance?? Perhaps set aside a % and buy some Whey protein. Or some oatmeal and extra eggs for breakfast ...

When I was first starting, I had some pretty heated discussions with my mother over my change in eating habits. <chuckle> She still complains that I eat too many eggwhites ... but she does ask if I'd like a few cans of tuna when we're getting groceries. It's going to take a while for both you and your parents to adjust to your new lifestyle. Just take it one step at a time ...
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/03, 01:38 PM
Welcome to ft, cypherwulf! No, you do not have to complete the entire sets for a given exercise before moving on to the next one.

As far as your diet question, I'd say it depends. Since you didn't fill out your profile, I don't really know if your goal is to lose weight or gain mass. If you want to gain mass, the meat and potatoes will do fine. You'll still need to consume 1-1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight, though. Otherwise, you might as well forget it as any less will not help you grow. Also, you'll have to eat 5-7 meals per day...not just 3. Your body (including muscles) will "starve" in between meals if you only eat 3 meals per day.

However, if you're trying to lose weight, then you'll need to restrict your diet to lower-fat foods and eat more veggies, lean meats, fish, etc. Also, you'll need to drink lots of water in either case.

Hope these answer your questions...

--------------
**_Robert_**
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/04/04, 12:53 AM
What about eating some fruits as well? All parents should love their kids eating fruits so that shouldn't be that difficult to do.
I guess it's avoiding the fat and getting enough proteins that's the hard part.

Try eating the meat with soooome potatoes and then eat some tomatoes and tuna in your room...... Don't know if you can do that. Of course the best would be to get some protein powder thou....

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
simonhall84
simonhall84
United Kingdom
2002/04/12, 02:46 PM
school meals suck for ppl wishing to gain weight

--------------
imortality