Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

ABS- Reps

send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/11/11, 10:29 AM
Hi guys,

I do understand that the old school of doing 100 crunches doesnt really work. However I just wanna see what u guys have to say to the number of reps to be done?

What is the ideal repititions if you wanna develop ur abs muscles? I do know that u gotto do other exercises like deadlifts, squats etc to strengthen ur core but guys lets just talk about abs exercises for the moment.

I just wanna see how evryone responds here b'cos am sure diff people have diff body types and routines. Also few of u guys might also think abs exercises like cruches are a complete waste of time.

So whts the ideal repititions guys?
DGJ3
DGJ3
United States
2008/11/24, 01:44 AM
Well I feel it depends on that person's goal. For example, I would do around 10-15 crunches if I was just working my abdominals for general shape. But if my goal was to make my abdominals stronger and bigger, I would add weight to the crunches and keep it around 6-10 reps. It really depends on the person's goal, but ideally you just want to work your abdominals just like any other muscle in your body, and adjust your workouts according to your goals.
send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/11/24, 08:18 AM
hey dg thanks mate
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/11/24, 09:15 AM
I think that there are a lot more effective ways to develop abdominal muscles than crunches, I feel that they're basically a waste of time. First off you need to be lean enough to see them, without that there is not a workout that you can do that will help.

Heavy squats and deadlifts will strengthen your abs, hanging leg raises, weighted situps, standing cable crunches, woodchoppers, all good.

send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/11/24, 09:19 AM
Thts cool advise ecle. Just wondering tht isnt cable crunches a kind of very advanced exercise? Also the woodchopper one....i guess I can use the cable and swing it like the woodchopper action. However, just wondering how shud the movement be? Should i swing it from top to bottom or side ways?
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2008/11/24, 10:38 AM

============
Quoting from send2archan:

Thts cool advise ecle. Just wondering tht isnt cable crunches a kind of very advanced exercise? Also the woodchopper one....i guess I can use the cable and swing it like the woodchopper action. However, just wondering how shud the movement be? Should i swing it from top to bottom or side ways?
=============
No those movements aren't terribly advanced. What you want to do is try them with very little weight at first so you don't end up hurting yourself, and also to perfect your form. Once you are comfortable with the movement, then start adding the weight.