Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Myths

send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/11/10, 10:57 AM
Hi guys,

I have a general question.

Recently there has been a lot of articles around bodybuilding myths and what is more effective etc etc. My question pretty simple. Different people have different opinions on these. For example according to a recent study AB CRUNCHES ARE A WASTE OF TIME.
The argument against crunches is that it affects the back and does not brings out the abs muscles. I do agree with the fact that in order to get washboard abs u need to do good cardio, good diet and other excercises like deadlifts, squats etc. Losing body fat is the key. This concept is completely fine and true. However I would never say that cruches are completely a waste of time. If u r careful with you back and do it properly it does gives me a good effect and I can really feel a good burn. I guess that means that this exercise is effective. I am not suggesting 100 ab crunches everyday but 15 reps x 3 sets for 2-3 days over the week looks fine to me.

What do you guys think?
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2008/11/10, 11:04 AM
Due to the type of muscle fibers found in the abdominal area, weighted crunches are more effective than a crazy amount of reps.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/11/10, 11:18 AM
How many reps do you suggest per set? I mean i dont want to just add weight and manage just 4 reps. Also I have heard that adding to much weight can increase ur waist size? Is this true or myth?
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2008/11/12, 05:18 AM
These are things you have to experiment with. I can't tell you how much weight to use; that's up to you to decide. And why not just do 4 reps per set? You do it for every other muscle group. How are the abs different? Try to get 8-10 reps per set. But if you can only get 4, then do more sets.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/11/12, 05:47 AM
thanks bennett I will definitely try it out. I just heard that adding too much weight on abs can actually make ur stomache look much thicker and bulkier rather than the narrow tapered look. Is this true?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/11/12, 08:22 AM
One reason they say crunches are dead is because they don't utilize the full range of motion that your abs have. Another way of saying it is - flat ab work is dead.

Do abs on the swiss ball or an ab mat or a rolled up towel, where you can get the extension (shoulders lower than your waist)before contraction.

Crunches are not a very functional movement, either. They don't translate to very many real life movements. Try woodchoppers, ball throws, knee ups, twists with weight..things you might do in real life where your abs are needed for stabilization.

I also tell clients to think of every exercise they do as an ab exercise. your abs should be stabilizing and transferring power in every single movement. from running to deadlifting to weeding the garden..abs should be recruited.

There is a lot of debate as to whether weighted work will bulk your waistline...I think building up your obliques with weight will add thickness, but most people are never lean enough to tell whether the bulk is from muscle or fat.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/11/12, 08:39 AM
Thanks simmer that was really useful. I think i will do more of twists with waists, knee ups, deadlifts and squats for my abs. Lets see wht results do I get.