Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Advice on my weight loss

dogsofwar2005
dogsofwar2005
United States
2008/10/27, 08:11 AM
Hows it going I need some advice on if my program is doing what I need it to do. I am trying to lose weight and build some muscle mass/lean muscle mass. Here is my routine that I came up with after researching about it and its also what I have been doing.

Male
Weight: 168 (want to be 150-148 by 15-20 Jan 09)
Hight: 5' 7"
Cardio: 5.5mph 30min treadmill early morning, 4.6mph 30min tredmil evening, 30min 3.7mph treadmill after the running so about 60min consecutive.

Weight lifting: 5 days a week lighter weights high reps (the guide from this website)

I am currently taking around 2,000 calories a day, Break down is 40g fat, 190 carbs, 190 protein. All my carbs come from fruit ie banana's apples etc. My protein comes from eating some eggs and chicken at meals and I just started using pro complex protein drink.

If you have any suggestions that might help please let me know I have been doing this routine for about 2 weeks now and I am seeing moderate gains which I believe is how its supposed to work. Also if anyone has any suggestions on when to take the protein drink that would be great I keep reading conflicting stories on when to take it. So right now I am taking it in the morning before I run and after I work out at night.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/10/27, 08:17 AM
Your cardio seems a little excessive...but if you are a runner and that is the volume you have built up to...just don't get burnt out doing so much cardio. (if i am reading correctly you are doing it every day?)

I think using the protein before am cardio and after pm workout is good.

2 weeks isn't long to really evaluate how a plan is working, so if you are already seeing changes for the positive, that is great! Keep it up and keep re-evaluating as you go. if you find youare not adding mass...you may want to cut down th cardiojust a little. most of the men I know manipulate their bodyfat levels through dietary changes with cardio being the last resort.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
dogsofwar2005
dogsofwar2005
United States
2008/10/27, 08:55 AM
The reason I do alot of cardio is because I currently have time on my hands to do it being deployed for the next several months also it helps with me passing my PT test for the military. The muscle gain is secondary to my primary goal of losing the tire around my stomach lol. As far as dietary changes I cant really see how I can change my diet any further then I have already but you never know I and still in the learning phase. Oh and I run 6 days a week. I take 1 day off.
dogsofwar2005
dogsofwar2005
United States
2008/11/04, 12:15 AM
Ok so I have been doing my routine for a couple of weeks now and I am seeing moderate gains not so much in the muscle department but I do feel strong and faster. I also have been noticing that I am losing the fat every where but my mid section but from what I have been reading thats close to the last place you lose the fat from is this true?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/11/04, 07:37 AM
Usually. You can't dictate how it comes off, just be consistent and it eventually will.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2008/11/05, 11:44 AM
The belly fat is usually first-on and last-off, if it wasn't, we(guys) would all have 6 packs and man-boobs. Just keep doing what you're doing. The cardio seems a bit excessive to me as well, but as asimmer said; if you're used to the volume than no problems.
dogsofwar2005
dogsofwar2005
United States
2008/11/08, 06:28 AM
Well I am used to it now. But I did change it to 2 days of rest from cardio so I am lifting 5 days and cardio 5 days. The only thing I have a problem with now is when I am doing calf raises my calfs seem to just get all knotted up for the next couple of days I think it might be because I am not stretching enough but not sure because I am stretching and Thank you both for your feed back!