Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

ok to take time off workout?

tapr
tapr
Canada
2008/10/22, 05:47 PM
I've been working out pretty steady, but this week I'm feeling drained and a bit stressed out from life's ups and downs.. So I wondered if it was alright to take a week off from working out. Will i be taking a couple steps backwards in the weight im lifting. Or is it ok to rest for a week then go back hard. I've got a good workout i'm going to try that was arnold's routine but i know this week i can't handle it with the way im feeling. Do you guys take a week off every once in a while?
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/10/22, 05:52 PM
How long have you been working out 'steady?'
tapr
tapr
Canada
2008/10/22, 05:54 PM
since about june.. i've put on 10 pounds, like pretty good size, but im not sure, im just feelin under the weather this week. and about 3-4 times a week.
2008/10/22, 08:08 PM
Absolutely, if you are feeling under the weather it may be your body telling you it needs the rest. The week off will do your body and mind good. Everyone is different, but I like to take a week off every couple of months.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2008/10/23, 11:39 AM
Go ahead and take a few days off, but don't just lay around. Be as active as you can. I'd recommend still doing a few sets of push ups, pull ups, crunches, etc here and there. You may also want to look to your current diet and rest schedule to see if any adjustments need to be made to help you through these ups and downs. Cortisol (the 'stress' hormone) sucks, so do your research and do whatever you can to prevent it from geting you down.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."