Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

What to do with a knee injury

onelilhorangi
onelilhorangi
United States
2008/08/31, 01:22 AM
I used to run a lot and with all that extra 20Ibs pounding on my knees going up and down stairs and hills it was no wonder 3 months ago I had an inflamed maniscus on my left knee. I could not walk or go up and down the stairs. The doctor said that I could run again soon after if I strengthened the other parts of my leg. I have traded in running with biking and trying to weight train the other parts of my leg. I still get sore on that leg after weight training and I have feet and knee problems walking in sandals or even sneakers for over 30 mins. When I try to run my knee pops and it just feels turned outward. It does not hurt. My body is so used to biking that it stopped working for me to lose that weight. I bike for about 1 hour every other day and ST every other day. I lift moderately heavy at reps of 3x10. I have a sluggish metabolism and I am assuming that the extra weight is causing me that little problem on my knee when I do try those moments of running. I talked with 2 doctors from different hospitals and both have said that I should cut back my calories to 1000 a day. They say that in some cases this is the only way for a patient to achieve any weightloss. I just don't know what to do. I cannot walk, run, swim (since I do not have a pool), weight train to an extent.. the only thing I can do now is bike and I've gotten so bored of it. (I try different intervals) Can someone please give me some advice to go about getting out of this rut. thank you!
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/09/05, 08:42 AM
First off 1,000 calories a day is too low for almost anyone.

Buy a jump rope they're cheap and easy and kind of fun too.

Btw - nice bike pic, I have an 05 RR but that doesn't count as "biking".
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/05, 04:06 PM
I doubt a bum knee is going to like jumping rope...do you have pool access?

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield