Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Am I shooting myself in the foot?

Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/08/21, 03:06 PM
eating more becomes easier over time
penciltester
penciltester
United States
2008/08/21, 10:10 AM
Thank you both for the replies. Eat 3000-3500 calories! I am full through the day when I am eating 2000.Yeah I thought it would come down to body fat. But I would think Arnold had alot more muscle mass than Bruce. I mean the dudes HUGE. And the fact that it comes down to body fat makes me even more worried that increasing my calorie intake will add more fat to my gut.
But I understand that "matter can not be created nor destroyed" So I will need to eat more so my body has something to turn into more muscle. But seeing that i probably have another 10 to 15 pounds of fat around my body can my body just use it power its self? Then use what i'm eating each day to build muscle mass. Or does the body eat fat last? So It uses all the stuff I eat then goes for the fat? And muscle is made from protein so it can't be made from fat.

Also I just read someone of my height could weigh 134 pounds and be considered healthy. How is that possible? In high school I was skinny and weighed 150. Little fat and little muscle. I would think 130 would be a walking skeleton!
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/08/21, 09:03 AM
1500 calories is very low for a 160 lb man. I weigh 160 and to gain weight I have to eat 3,000 to 3,500 calories and gain very slowly.

What you are referring to (Bruce Lee vs. Arnold) is more about body fat than anything else. Both were extremely lean but Arnold had done more mass gaining before hand.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/08/20, 05:28 PM
the only way you can know if you are losing muscle or fat is to have your body composition read .

most calculators are based on the gov't recommended carb amounts, which are too high, IMO. but 1500 caloroes is pretty low for a man.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
penciltester
penciltester
United States
2008/08/20, 04:27 PM
Ok im a 28 year old male, 5' 10" 161 pounds. I started lifting about 3 weeks ago and am starting to see a difference. I am doing a full body workout over 3 days with cardio inbetween. So I lift one day, then cardio the next, then the next day lift, etc....
When I lift I do 3 sets of 10. Cardio, I do 30 minutes at a moderate pace on an exercise bike. Oh and I do abs everyday, 60 situps, 30 lower ab crunches, 30 broom handle twists. And I give myself 1 day of rest.
My diet is healthy. No junk food unless it's on my free meal. But when I started actually figuring out my calorie intake it was 1500 calories or under. I had started eating less about 4 months ago and lost 20 pounds but didn't think I had lowered my calories that much. And my carb intake is low.
Anyway I would like to add some muscle mass but not a ton. I'm looking to be more of a Bruce Lee (cut) look other than an Arnold (bulk) look.
Problem is I seem to be losing about a pound a week. Now my fat seems to be around my stomach and butt. So I still have fat on me so I would like to lose it because, yeah like everyone else, I want to see my abs.
So I guess what im asking is do i need to eat more to gain some muscle mass or am I fine. Is the weight i'm losing all fat or am I losing muscle mass as well. If I do need to eat more should I look at more protein for more calories or eat more carbs? I don't want to add any fat to my stomach. I used a nutrition calculator and it says im at about 50% of my carb "needs" a day.

Oh and should I do more cardio? I read doing alot of cardio while trying to gain muscle mass is not such a great idea.

Thanks, I know it was a long post.