Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

tempo of lifts.

Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/07/28, 12:23 AM
ok help me out here what is meant by a 501 302 201 tempo is it like 5 seconds up dont rest lower 1 or what im lost on this... someone want to explain it to me. thanks.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/07/28, 12:47 AM
What routine are you following?

I'm doing New Rules of Lifting and they explain the negative part as five seconds (using your 501), a zero second pause and then one second to flex or hold. So, for instance, a squat: lower for five seconds, don't rest at the bottom and then hold at the top for one second.

Make sense?

My book is not here right now, or I'd quote it directly for you.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/07/28, 12:55 AM
Here's a link.. seems as though I've been doing chins incorrectly.

http://forums.jpfitness.com/new-rules-lifting-original/28468-tempo-question.html

--------------

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/07/28, 12:32 PM
============
Quoting from TimDay:
one second to flex or hold.

=============

I've always written the 3rd number as the time of the eccentric. If there is a hold at the top (rarely) then I've used a 4 digit number (like 5011). I might be mistaken, but I'd be willing to venture that that is how Mr. Cosgrove has them written as well.

An X usually refers to an explosive concentric, done as fast as possible.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/07/28, 12:42 PM
Also, I don't post on the JP Forum, but if I did, I'd want to ask Miss Lisa why a number in between an eccentric and a concentric can be used to describe a time in between a concentric and eccentric. I'd also want to know why she thinks an isometric hold in a lengthened position is the same as an isometric hold in a shortened position as long as it's "the most difficult position of the lift".

I'd also be interested in finding out if she thinks that muscles store static energy that can be dissipated PRIOR to the concentric through a pause at the BOTTOM of a pull up, just like it can be in a bench, squat or deadlift. I'd wonder how a pause prior to the eccentric can have this same effect, even though there is no static energy in a contracted position.

Just sayin'.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/07/28, 12:53 PM
See, this is my confusion, too... Here's how I was doing a tempo for a BP (eg: 301... Lower the bar for three seconds, up right away without a rest, flex for one then down for three.

On a chin, down for three, up right away, flex for one...

That was my understanding.

--------------

Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/07/28, 04:46 PM

so 501 down 5 no rest up 1 i think
============
Quoting from wrestler125:

I'd also be interested in finding out if she thinks that muscles store static energy that can be dissipated PRIOR to the concentric through a pause at the BOTTOM of a pull up, just like it can be in a bench, squat or deadlift. I'd wonder how a pause prior to the eccentric can have this same effect, even though there is no static energy in a contracted position.

Just sayin'.

=============
i d like to know to
the whole thing is confusing but it is a good system.

Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/07/28, 04:54 PM
not a set routine t nations 1 day arm cure. its insane. im gonna do it
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/07/29, 09:09 AM
============
Quoting from TimDay:

See, this is my confusion, too...

=============

If there's confusion, it will make you think.

In this industry, there is NOTHING that doesn't have a reason, NOTHING that shouldn't make sense. If it doesn't make sense, then why would you believe it? If someone can't explain something, then how do they know it's true?

Basically, I'm not saying that girl is wrong, but does what she said make sense? Do you think she can back it up with reason? Think about the questions I asked.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/07/29, 09:12 AM
Does it make sense to you that a pause in the contracted position would have the same effect as a pause in a stretched position?

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/07/29, 10:10 AM
It seems as though both Poliquin and Cosgrove (the trainers mentioned in this thread) agree with me:

----------------
"For instance, on the first exercise below, Coach Poliquin has indicated a tempo of 40X0. This simply means that you should take four seconds to do the eccentric, or lowering portion of the curl. Then, without resting (0 seconds), you should explosively lift the weight (designated by an "X"), followed by no pause at the top of the movement. Likewise, in other Poliquin-type routines, you might see a 3121 tempo. Again, that would mean taking three seconds to lower the weight, followed by a one-second pause; two seconds to raise the weight, followed by a one-second pause before lowering the weight.
~Poliquin
----------------

----------------
Tempo refers to lifting speed. The first number is lowering, the second is pausing in the bottom position, and the third is lifting. So a 422 tempo would be a 4 second lowering, a 2 second pause and a 2 second lift. If the letter X appears - it refers to eXplosive - go as fast as possible.
~Cosgrove
----------------

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/07/29, 12:29 PM
shes not 100% wrong but not 100% right ethire.
first number lowering
2nd number pause at bottom
3rd lift
thanks.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2008/07/29, 12:36 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you wrestler. There seems to be many interpretations for it. I do feel a four number system would be easier to understand.

Here's what's in NROL:

"...Alwyn used "normal" as a default for a lifting speed in which you lower the weight for three seconds, pause for one second, then take one second to raise it back up. Numerically, that's a '311' tempo, in which 3 is the lowering, or negative, part of the rep; the first 1 is the pause; and the second 1 is the actual lift."

This is the method I have been trying to incorporate.

t

--------------