Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

question about upper body

Minos_12
Minos_12
United States
2008/07/25, 05:36 PM
Hey guys, I'm new and was looking for some advice. I'm 19, (5'4" tall and 126 lbs) and I had a severe hormone imbalance when I was a teenager. So severe that I developed breasts and my hips are a littler wider than average too. So, my hormones are finally balanced out now, I take testosterone injections and I think my levels are around 1000 at the lowest point. (I see an endocrinologist and so its all legal and safe.) So, a year ago I had surgery to remove the breast tissue I developed. After that was removed, my chest looked really really bad. I had depressions where the fat distribution wasn't evened out b/c so much tissue was removed and even today you can still see some of those depressions. On top of that, once I had them removed I found out that something is wrong with my rib cage and the bottom ribs on both sides flare out a bit. Tuesday actually I'm going back to my surgeon for a revision to fix some scarring and fill in the depressions. I'm fairly happy with my body overall except for the fact that I would really look a lot better- a lot more average- if I had more upper-body muscle mass. I was wondering if you guys had any advice? Since I've been home from college I've been lifting regularly, 2 days of lifting then a rest day then 2 days... etc and I've seen gains in my shoulders and arms but my chest hasn't really changed at all. I'm expecting my recovery from this surgery to take about a month, so I'll be back at college and I'll have access to a gym and my schedule this semester allows me time to go there regularly. I'm just looking for some advice on honestly what kind of time-frame should I expect to see changes in? I am okay with weight adjustment, I usually try to move up by 5 lbs every week or so, and I'm basically just going for more size so endurance isn't a concern, and I have a group of friends I run occasionally with. I figure, I need to work my back, chest, shoulders, and arms. For my chest, I've been doing all different sorts of things, and I can bench probably about 110 lbs. Which isn't a lot, but considering 2 years ago I could only do 55, thats a big improvement for me. I didn't start getting serious about lifting for a long time anyway because I was so uncomfortable in a gym, and anything I did never really helped how I looked, but now that my medical problems are pretty much solved, I feel better and I feel like if I put in some effort, I'll eventually be where I want to be. Any advice you guys have would be appreciated.
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/07/25, 07:13 PM
gaining muscle takes time usually around 7lbs a year can be expected but you have to eat a lot.
Minos_12
Minos_12
United States
2008/07/25, 09:35 PM
thanks, that was what I was looking for. I'll keep that in mind.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/07/26, 11:51 AM
There are a lot of threads going on on this website that give a lot of good advice, just keep reading and learning. After 2 years of lifting you should be benching closer to 200lbs. If you want, you can post your routine here and we can critique it or tell you if it's total crap.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
Minos_12
Minos_12
United States
2008/07/28, 01:16 PM
Here's what I've been doing up until a week ago (surgery tomorrow so I quit). I had a shrink for a while that was a body-builder and so what I've been doing, I've been basing off his advice. My routine was 2 days on, 1 day off then repeat. For about two months I did this: Since my goal isn't endurance, I just went for low reps with a high amount of weight to build size. I usually did 4 sets of 6 reps with every exercise I did. I don't have a spotter so I couldn't max out every time but I would try to do as much as I could without being stupid. (Every once in a while I'd change it up and do high reps w/ lighter weights.) So, I would do bench presses, with about as much as I could. I progressed from about 65 lbs to where I am now at 110 ish. I would do that the two days. I figured, because I didn't have much muscle to begin with and because I rest every third day it wouldn't hurt. I'd also do dumbbell curls, rows, and that thing where you work your triceps by holding the thing behind your head. After a while of doing that I got sick of it and I started doing this routine: (same amount of reps and sets per exercise) the first day I'd do dumbbell pullovers, and the second day I would do dumbbell flys. The first day I'd do my arms too and the second day in addition to the chest I'd work my back. Any advice on what I should start including or changing up once I get back to college and have access to a gym?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/07/28, 03:37 PM
Dude. I can't make sense of any of that. How bout you itemize it and break it into days and exercises. Example:

Monday: Legs
Squats 5 sets of 3
SLDL 4 sets of 8
Leg Curls 3 sets of 10

Tuesday: Shoulders+Biceps
Push Press 5 sets of 5
Military Press 4 sets of 8
Lat Raises 3 sets of 12
Curls 3 sets of 12
Because I seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

Better yet, just do this:
http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm

There's a solid routine that we know works.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/07/28, 04:50 PM
It sounds like a lot of bench press and curls with maybe a little back thrown in on occasion.

Where's the legs?
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2008/07/28, 05:15 PM
some people just don't and never will get the importance of working legs no matter how hard you shove it down their throat i think they would work them more if that was the part that all the girls went crazy over if you know what i mean.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/07/28, 05:40 PM
I go crazy over legs, lol..but still alot of upper body only guys out there - men!! women do not wnt little chicken legs under a big chest and pair of biceps!!!

Plus - leg work stimulates more hormones...;)

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

Minos_12
Minos_12
United States
2008/07/30, 08:51 PM
I run and my lower body is also considerably larger than my upper body because of my bone structure. If you guys think I should start doing that, then once I'm healed I'll start. It just would take considerable effort for me to look top heavy and I don't want to amass any more muscle on my legs so my upper body looks even more disproportionate. When I say that, I'm not kidding. Sorry I wasn't clear before. Here's a breakdown.

This is what I have been doing until recently:

Day 1:
dumbbell pullovers - 4 sets of 5 reps
bicep curls - 4 sets, 5 reps
I forget the name of the exercise but it works your triceps - 4 sets /5 reps
military presses - 4/5

Day 2
dumbbell flys - 4 sets/5 reps
dumbell rows - 4/5
underhand grip chin-ups - however many I could manage

Day 3
rest