Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Overworking muscles.

TWeston11
TWeston11
United States
2008/06/07, 02:52 PM
When I go to the gym, I usually focus on certain on one of these sets of body parts: chest and tris, legs, back and bis, shoulders and tris. I try to mix up my lifts. But, I lift every day and I keep running into problems with my muscles being sore still from my previous lift on the same muscles. My muscles aren't sore unless I flex them, then I can tell they hurt.

My question is, is it alright to lift on the same muscles when they are in this state? If not, how should I break up my workout more specifically so I can work out every day of the week without sore muscles.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/06/09, 09:33 AM
First off, quit working out every day. Your body needs rest in order to grow. You won't reap the full results of what you're doing without rest.

It seems that you work out your triceps a lot as well. They get hit pretty hard with most chest and shoulder work, then to beat them individually seems like a lot of work.

Being sore is one thing, if it hurts to touch then I'd hold off the workout. If they're not that bad then make sure to warm up well before lifting heavy.
blue77
blue77
United States
2008/06/13, 02:26 AM
You probably havent been trainig long enuff to fully recuperate from the previous workouts,and you might be doing to many sets and your not taking in enuff protein for your muscles to regrow,if you want to work out even thou your muscles hurt i would go lighter in weight and take a couple of aleve,if the pain is to great to train over take the day off intill it heals,and drink lots of water to flush out the lactic acid buildup in your muscles this helps alot.
TWeston11
TWeston11
United States
2008/06/14, 02:38 AM
I've been lifting constantly for about 3.5 years now. The soreness is not enough to hinder my lifting, I don't care about it hurting me, I just want to make sure I'm not hindering my muscle growth.

I've heard some people say that if a muscle is sore at all, you shouldn't lift on it at all. But, I've also heard some people say you can lift twice a day if you want. I guess it varies from person to person depending on testosterone levels/steroids.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/06/14, 10:39 AM
============
Quoting from TWeston11:

I guess it varies from person to person depending on testosterone levels/steroids.
=============

It has more to do with program to program depending on frequency and intensity.

If you're on a program that calls for high frequency and avoiding absolute failure, then it probably doesn't matter much if you are sore. However, if you're doing a powerlifting program and one day calls for 5 sets at 90%+ then you're going to want to be entirely fresh for that day.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk