Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Lack of Motivation

pkruger70
pkruger70
Canada
2008/05/09, 12:19 AM
I am struggling where motivation is concerned. I find that the 'idea' of working out is harder than actually going out there and 'doing it'. I fight with myself on whether or not I want to endure that pain of 'working out', but if I force myself, it's not so bad once I get started. It's that point where I'm seeing a commercial, or someone walking down our street, that I get this 'notion' that "hmm, maybe I should be out there...". And then I find that I'm immediately trying to find 'excuses' to NOT be out there - kind of like I'm 'giving myself permission' to excuse what I should be doing. I try to justify why it's 'not' a good idea to do any work outs...but, deep down, I am very self-conscious about my body and appearance. I wear baggy clothes and haven't bought anything really 'nice', because I don't feel that I'm worth it...my self-esteem and confidence is almost nothing. Yet, I want to do this. It's almost like I feel as though I'm hitting my 'rock bottom' and I'm losing a battle I thought could win, on my own.
I have no motivation...I have no drive...I don't have enough support, outside my home. My hubby helps motivate me, but I even find myself fighting with him, and he knows I'm making excuses...
I want to be physically fit. My doctor told me this morning that I was borderline 'obese'...I started crying. I was in denial for too long. Now that I heard that horrible word, I want to make enough effort in getting something done with my body and health...But, the 'thought' about doing this seems like the right thing to do, at the time, but then when it comes time to 'doing it', I scramble to get out of it...but once I get going (after kicking and screaming all the way to the gym), I'm okay. I find that I'm struggling only because I am in a 'negative' state right now...it's complicated...but I could sure use some advice on how to make this work...

Thanks (in advance)..

PKruger (pkruger@pib.ca)
2008/05/09, 12:25 AM
Quit whining and just do it. Nobody can motivate you but you. This is the best advice you'll ever get on motivation.

--------------

Sometimes life is like herding cats

Charlie
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2008/05/09, 08:32 AM
I have to agree with Charlie...we can offer support and encouragement, but in the end you are the only one that will get it done. Make it a habit and it will be easier to go.

--------------
FOR MY WIFE:
Her little ring was a little thing
but it was all that i could afford
now shes mine all mine
till the day i die
and i never wanted nothing more

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/05/09, 08:37 AM
I think you need to talk to a therapist. There are a lot of things in your post that I think you need to address.