Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Question on workout

maccini
maccini
United States
2008/04/28, 09:54 AM
Hey everyone,

I have been losing bodyfat and can see huge results. I started with a 50p/25c/25c diet and now I?m 55p/30c/20f diet. I weigh between 190 and 195 depending on the day of the week. I have been taking in approx 2000 - 2200 cal and I do 4-5 spin classes per week plus 4 hours of free weights. I also add about an hour or 2 of low intensity treadmill or eliptical in a week.

I started the fitness plan from this site and I?m just starting week 4. I am trying to loose weight and tone up. Anyway, the plan has me doing 2 exercises per body part and 4 sets each. It has me do 16 reps, 12, 10, 8 or 16, 14, 12, 10 etc? a few other variations also but you get the jist. Oh, I?m on a Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri schedule. Back/Shoulders on Mon, Bi?s/Tri?s on Tue, Chest/Legs on Thu and Bi?s/ Tri?s on Fri.

I take about 30 seconds to 1 min between sets and about 2-3 minutes between each exercise. I don?t believe in talking when working out so I save it till the end of my workout. Anyway, I would like to speed up my workout and I?m thinking about bi setting (I think that?s what you call it.) I believe a super set is doing 2 different muscle groups one after another so I?m not calling it a super set, this would be the same muscle group. So what I was going to do is combine both excercises from my program and do them one after another. I was also going to lower the reps to 12, 10, 8 and do more weight and do 3 sets vs the 4 sets. Since I have the fat loss under control I would like to start building muscle but continue to loose body fat, I don?t care what my actual weight is.

My questions are? will this be effective? Think it will be overtraining? Can I bulid muscle and still get ripped? Do you guys have a better approach to getting bigger and getting ripped at the same time? I?m not concerned with how strong I am, I?m 40 and I feel it the next day when I go to heavy. (Sucks getting old! LOL)

Thanks!
maccini
maccini
United States
2008/04/28, 10:15 AM
I copied over from Microsoft word and all my apostrophes turned to question marks, LOL.
docksideguy05
docksideguy05
United States
2008/05/17, 03:46 AM
if all you're worried about is getting bigger then I recommend doing drop sets. this works for every workout you want to do it with. start with a weight you can do 8-12 times and goto failure on then quickly drop the weight about 10-15%, do 4 sets each time going to failure. I read about this on a body building site. but apparently this is what most of the big time body builders do. you won't get stronger very fast but you'll definitely get bigger because you'll recruit ALL of your muscle fibers. Oh by the way, according to the site you WILL be pretty sore
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/05/19, 08:42 AM
In a caloric deficit you aren't going to build muscle. If anything you are trying to keep the muscle you do have as you attempt to lose weight.

I think upping the number of sets and weight while lowering the reps a little is alright. If you're looking to speed your workout up don't rest 2-3 minutes between exercises. Keep your 30-60 second rest time.
docksideguy05
docksideguy05
United States
2008/05/23, 02:58 AM
yeah sorry i kind of ignored the part about toning. You could try a body weight excercise circuit. You'd definitely tone up pretty quick doing that. Here's an example
push ups
one legged body weight squats
pull ups(assisted if needed)
squat jumps
sit ups(or crunches whatever you prefer)
bird dogs
russians
do all of these excercises to failure when you reach failure on the first move immediately to the next excercise. do the circuit about 3 or 4 times. Do this three days a week, on the days inbetween doing the circuit do cardio days. alternate between long moderate intensity cardio days and HIIT days. If you do all this and watch what you eat(I highly recommend the nutrition tracker on this site) then you should be able to trim anything excess pretty quick